Sprony

Epic Games & MapCore's Unreal Tournament Level Design Contest Discussion

Still packaging my shell after 2 hours when it took 6 minutes on the first cook in the previous engine, looks like I'll miss the submission deadline that's in 1 minute.

:(

Edit: Finished cooking and submitted

Edited by Mangley

57 minutes ago, FACH said:

It was coocked for 40 minutes! Oh Holy Vandora! Where is  the time when map`s size was 4-40 kb and "build all" lasts ~100 seconds? 

FYI  - the cooking process is only used externally (for modders, mappers etc) we don't use it on the dev team, the actual map building is quicker than ever, cooking the resources automatically is not something most games even allow you to do, so even though it's far from optimized, normally you'd have to carefully add every single file yourself, which takes considerable time and is prone to errors. 

Additionally, the game and engine is very much in progress,  which makes working it a lot harder, and it surfaces all the kind of issues that developers have to deal with that are usually invisible when working on games with only minor updates every now and then.  Developers slow down fundamental changes the closer a game is to completion or post launch patches/updates because of the knock on effect to custom content, right now, your all in the thick of it, which I consider great experience, developing games is frustrating and hard for all the reasons you are not expecting. 

21 hours ago, 2d-chris said:

FYI  - the cooking process is only used externally (for modders, mappers etc) we don't use it on the dev team, the actual map building is quicker than ever, cooking the resources automatically is not something most games even allow you to do, so even though it's far from optimized, normally you'd have to carefully add every single file yourself, which takes considerable time and is prone to errors. 

Additionally, the game and engine is very much in progress,  which makes working it a lot harder, and it surfaces all the kind of issues that developers have to deal with that are usually invisible when working on games with only minor updates every now and then.  Developers slow down fundamental changes the closer a game is to completion or post launch patches/updates because of the knock on effect to custom content, right now, your all in the thick of it, which I consider great experience, developing games is frustrating and hard for all the reasons you are not expecting. 

I understand that it is very comfortable when each asset is created separately. It is not necessary for team to update heavy package if it has been insignificantly changed.
Of course it was a joke. Dentnt had a problem with his computer. Power Supply had been broken. As a result, motherboard, RAM, video card and HDD had been broken too.
We made a computer from garbage and run only UE2 RUNTIME on it.

edsplash.jpg
I wrote a T3D converter that converts parameters of static meshs from UE2 to UE4. Dentnt sends map file (20 mb) and 3ds max file to me every build.

43567654.png

But in UE2 lightmaps are not used. I know that the differences between engines are great, epics well tried.

22 hours ago, 2d-chris said:

Unreal's stability while being "in progress" is a lot better than most complete engines I've used :) 

Me, @Terri and @FrieChamp are doing some testing at 7PM CEST tonight. Package your map and add me on Skype if you want to join in: stefan.jonsson9104

On 2016-05-16 at 10:03 PM, FRAG said:

Won't make it for the new submission, sucks but nothing I can do.

Awwh man that does suck! :(

Edit: Heads up! I'm not sure I have gotten the server config to work properly as of the new patch but we will see.

Edited by Sjonsson

I managed to get Showdown working on the server before I got to bed yesterday. Me, @FrieChamp and @Terri will be running a test session tonight. Time is still to be announced.

Preliminary time: 20.00 CEST (Reserved for change)

If you want your map tested, make sure your map is packaged and ready. You also have to make sure you set the game mode in World Settings to UTTeamShowdownGame, it's almost at the bottom of the list. If you won't do this the map will play in whatever other gamemode you set it too, also make sure not to set it to UTShowdownGame, tha'ts the duel mode.

24 minutes ago, Sjonsson said:

If you want your map tested, make sure your map is packaged and ready. You also have to make sure you set the game mode in World Settings to UTTeamShowdownGame, it's almost at the bottom of the list. If you won't do this the map will play in whatever other gamemode you set it too, also make sure not to set it to UTShowdownGame, tha'ts the duel mode.

Are you certain this is absolutely mandatory or is this just a workaround to test the maps in Showdown on your server? Because last time I checked DM-Chill was not set to a specific gamemode and that one is obviously working in Showdown. I don't think I'll be able to change the world settings and re-package my map before tonight.