Sign in to follow this  
laerth

[CS:GO] de_slate

Yeah, this is the first thing that stands out to me as well, the geometry and shapes look great, but a little more color (aside from gray/blue/white) would work wonders. 

7 hours ago, El_Exodus said:

Consider re-releasing it to maybe get into the Workshop spotlight. Now idea how it plays yet, but looks dope!

I'd agree on this, because workshop has 7 day time to get into spotlight aka into steam client csgo launch page and get displayed there. Tons of views and whatnot. After 7 days is over, it's gonna sink down like a rock, never to get out even if posted on reddit or similiar.

As stated before, the geometry is fantastic.  I really enjoy the futuristic style.  The only thing is to spruce up the color palette. Maybe add some contrast to really bring out the blues and grays.

Thanks for the feedback. Re: colors, yeah, I was going for a more monochromatic look, but you're right: some splashes of color here and there might help differentiate areas. I'll explore some ideas.

Ah, I was not aware of the 7-day workshop spotlight time limit. I'll definitely consider re-releasing it.

I actually kinda dig the monochromatic look. There's enough interplay between the light and the geometry to make even really big flat surfaces visually interesting, and there's plenty of foliage to spruce things up where that isn't the case. The texture quality is beautiful and the choice of theme also works really well with your geometry style; lots of nice quirky angles that would feel forced in any other setting.

I guess my only real objection is that it's all a bit samey? There are plenty of distinct details (love the floor windows, by the way) but the end results still sort of blur together. There are lots of areas that I didn't even recognise at first because I entered them from a different direction than before, and while I appreciate that you've labelled each area, in a pinch I'm far more likely to yell out something like "he's behind the concrete planter!" or "he's by the sculpture!", which is hardly enough information when there are so many of both.

Other things I really like:

- Being able to platform your way across B from sniper's nest.

- Not a crate in sight

- Stairs you can hide under without just getting a free kill on whoever is walking down them

- Sexy curved concrete tentacles looming over the entire map

1 hour ago, Trashbang said:

I actually kinda dig the monochromatic look. There's enough interplay between the light and the geometry to make even really big flat surfaces visually interesting, and there's plenty of foliage to spruce things up where that isn't the case. The texture quality is beautiful and the choice of theme also works really well with your geometry style; lots of nice quirky angles that would feel forced in any other setting.

I guess my only real objection is that it's all a bit samey?

Other things I really like:

- Not a crate in sight

Yeah, walls often tend to provide most of the visual interest, but this time around I wanted to see how simple the walls could be while relying on shadows and sky/floor detail to create interesting spaces. Also, I guess I really just enjoyed how the foliage shadows looked against flat concrete, for which a rooftop garden is well suited. If I was a better modeler I would have made my own trees...

And yes, I struggled with how similar everything looks. I tried to differentiate areas with slightly different overlay decals and flowers, but yeah, it kinda fails the squint-test.

Haha, glad you noticed the absence of crates.