Plat

de_decay (WIP)

15 hours ago, Plat said:

Thanks a ton for the very valuable info. It is set in italy, and I think the main reason it may not be consistent is because some of the detail is reminants from the map's old artstyle, which was set in a more middle eastern area. Are there any areas in particular I can preserve? I've been working seriously hard on this level and this is a huge letdown.

This is something that has happened to me a lot in the past. I worked with a specific theme in mind only to find out that it doesn't work or look the way I wanted it to; so I tried to adapt existing shapes to a different theme, but that just causes more issues. Sometimes it's easier to just delete and start clean.

Here's a few photos I took on my last trip to Italy http://imgur.com/a/NBum1 You can notice that the buildings are completely flat from bottom to top and that the windows are pretty much the only details. The bottom level is usually a bit fancier (made out of cut stone or bricks) since that's where most shops are located. After that and all the way to top it's usually just windows with very small balconies here and there. Then there's a trim at the top, just before the roof. There are some buildings that incorporate more details, like ones built in the renaissance or baroque period, but most of them follow this approach.

Edited by Radu

4 hours ago, Radu said:

This is something that has happened to me a lot in the past. I worked with a specific theme in mind only to find out that it doesn't work or look the way I wanted it to; so I tried to adapt existing shapes to a different theme, but that just causes more issues. Sometimes it's easier to just delete and start clean.

Here's a few photos I took on my last trip to Italy http://imgur.com/a/NBum1 You can notice that the buildings are completely flat from bottom to top and that the windows are pretty much the only details. The bottom level is usually a bit fancier (made out of cut stone or bricks) since that's where most shops are located. After that and all the way to top it's usually just windows with very small balconies here and there. Then there's a trim at the top, just before the roof. There are some buildings that incorporate more details, like ones built in the renaissance or baroque period, but most of them follow this approach.

Yikes. Alright, I guess I'll start from scratch. Thanks for making me realise my mistake before I went too far into my map.

The real shame here is that I've restarted the art pass about 4 times thus far. Now I have to do it again. I guess that's learning though.

10 hours ago, 'RZL said:

The shadows are way too bright, you barely even see them.

That would probably be because I've been using fast compile settings, and I'm trying to emphasize visibility.

Edited by Plat

9 hours ago, Radu said:

Have you had a chance to work on the new version? I'm really curious to see if you've managed to improve it.

Yes I have actually. I have been using a combination of your pictures and a few from google images as image references. Here's a quick screenshot of what middle is turning into (in hammer). Progress has been slow due to lack of motivation and the majors which just passed. 

de_decay_v43wip.PNG

Hey everyone. I'm struggling a lot, and this post may come off as desperate, and that's because it is.

Below is about all I've done in about 2 weeks. It isn't much. I'm concerned. 

I'm really lacking the motivation to continue with this project, as I've had to restart the art pass over and over again. I'm not finding enjoyment in this, and frankly I'm not finding enjoyment in much any more. I'm honestly feeling depressed. I don't want to leave the project, but it seems that whenever I start up hammer, I try to get something done, and then I'll almost instantly close the program. I just can't bring myself to find motivation to do this. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm losing interest in everything, I'm not sure why I'm even feeling this way. It's almost out of my control.

If anyone can help me or motivate me in any way, please do so. I need it.

de_decay_v43wip2.PNG

Edited by Plat

I remember DaveJ writing on his blog that something that helped with mapper's block was to start a side project with completely different theme, ie: sci-fi sp map when stuck on a CS map.

You could try that.

Or just take a break. If you are similar to me on mentality, it might be that you know you have to study something to progress, but you don't want to get outside your comfort zone. We talking art so I'd speculate that you can't be bothered going deep into 3DSMax and the likes.

Ankther good thing would be to get an artist help you out, he could very likely have a fresh take that will inspire you. And if he works on props than you can focus on gameplay and building, which, unless you need/want to learn, is probably what you like. Maybe even go back to a more blocky/non-textured version and get a concept artist to paint over some concept to feed your imagination with a new art direction?

Dunno how feasible it is but might as well try if you're taking a break anyway.

If you don't enjoy working on it anymore then move on. I've ditched several levels because I just simply wasn't getting anywhere with them; it felt like a chore working on them. Sure, it's important to get your work out there and have people play your levels, but I think it's more important to test out ideas and keep working until you've got something that stands out.

Hey everyone. I haven't been on much lately but I want to thank all of your for you suggestions and support. I've decided to take a temporary break on mapping and regain my sanity. I'll begin work on the map once I start to feel good again. I just wanted to address 2 things:

On 18/04/2016 at 4:31 PM, blackdog said:

I remember DaveJ writing on his blog that something that helped with mapper's block was to start a side project with completely different theme, ie: sci-fi sp map when stuck on a CS map.

You could try that.

Or just take a break. If you are similar to me on mentality, it might be that you know you have to study something to progress, but you don't want to get outside your comfort zone. We talking art so I'd speculate that you can't be bothered going deep into 3DSMax and the likes.

Ankther good thing would be to get an artist help you out, he could very likely have a fresh take that will inspire you. And if he works on props than you can focus on gameplay and building, which, unless you need/want to learn, is probably what you like. Maybe even go back to a more blocky/non-textured version and get a concept artist to paint over some concept to feed your imagination with a new art direction?

Dunno how feasible it is but might as well try if you're taking a break anyway.

I'd love to do this, but I'm a no name mapper, no one would care enough to draw me concept art of make me some models. I've also tried making an aim map to get my mind of it, but I just couldn't find any motivation. I'm also not interested in restarting the art pass for the 6th time.

9 hours ago, Radu said:

If you don't enjoy working on it anymore then move on. I've ditched several levels because I just simply wasn't getting anywhere with them; it felt like a chore working on them. Sure, it's important to get your work out there and have people play your levels, but I think it's more important to test out ideas and keep working until you've got something that stands out.

While it may make sense to just abandon the project, I've abandoned every single defuse map project I've ever started. I seriously can't afford to keep abandoning projects. I need to stick to one and ride it out, I'll learn more that way. I also really like the layout of this map.