Plat

de_decay (WIP)

Hello everyone! I've been working on this map for the last 3 months on and off. It recently hit v42, and I just did a 2v2 and a 3v3 session on it. I posted the WIP of the map on the workshop, and I'm currently fleshing out the layout and detailing parts of the map. 

This is the furthest I've ever come with a project before and I've learned a lot. Currently working on v43 and the workshop will be updated every time a new version comes out.

I'm currently looking for feedback on the layout, and playtesters. Also, I don't have access to custom assets and I don't know how to model/ make textures. If anyone would be kind enough to lend their ability, it'd be greatly appreciated and you'd be credited appropriately. 

Here's the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647714113

Below are some screenshots of version 42, newly added :)

Thanks for checking out my map! If you have any feedback or criticisms, feel free to tell them to me, I take all feedback seriously, and I won't take it in the wrong way (as long as it is constructive) :)

Enjoy!

de_decay_v42_1.jpg

de_decay_v42_2.jpg

de_decay_v42_3.jpg

de_decay_v42_4.jpg

de_decay_v42_5.jpg

de_decay_v42_6.jpg

de_decay_v42_overview.jpg

Edited by Plat
updated all the screenshots and info

1 minute ago, Shima33 said:

Looks good so far - can we see an overview of the map, or a radar image, so we can look at the layout?

I'll supply this post with one after I'm done v39, I'm currently working on it :P Thanks for commenting!

2 hours ago, Shima33 said:

Looks good so far - can we see an overview of the map, or a radar image, so we can look at the layout?

Quick question, I'm trying to take an overview screenshot but about half of my level is surrounded in darkness when in the overview mode. No clue how to fix this. Do you have any idea? As soon as I figure it out I will post one.

Looks really nice :)

From the overview I wonder if T is missing some sort of way of rotating to A from mid. Mid seems very tied together with B from the T side.

9 hours ago, spa said:

Looks really nice :)

From the overview I wonder if T is missing some sort of way of rotating to A from mid. Mid seems very tied together with B from the T side.

You can take the apartments over to a, I like to compare it to mirages middle where the ts need to commit or fall all the way back to get to a

Version 41 is out!

It makes some biggish changes to the A site, and details some more of the map. 

Currently struggling with making the radar work. It isn't and I've tried a few things. If I could get help on it that would be great! 

You can download it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647714113

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Plat said:

Pretty big update coming in at version 42! It adds a fair bit of detailing and small gameplay changes. Check it out at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647714113

Also comes with pretty screenshots!

de_decay_v42_1.jpg

de_decay_v42_2.jpg

de_decay_v42_3.jpg

de_decay_v42_4.jpg

de_decay_v42_5.jpg

de_decay_v42_6.jpg

de_decay_v42_overview.jpg

Looking very nice!

1 thing i'm missing detailing wise is vertical details. Without it it would look very boring

I will get into actually testing the map gameplay wise when i get steam working!

I don't know if anybody has told you this, but I really can't tell where this level is set in. I'd say Italy because of the skybox, but the environment is one giant mess; absolutely no consistency. I understand some of the textures and models are place holders and I hope you don't take this too hard, but I recommend you redo the art pass from scratch. Research the respective architecture and focus on giving your spaces a purpose. Though, that's more easily done during the early stages of designing your layout; later on it's more difficult, but not hopeless. Once you've decided on the location and architecture, create a prop palette of 20-30 props that make sense and stick to them. I normally split the art pass into two stages. During the first one, I give the environment a basic shape using as few brushes possible to which I add a couple models to detail it. I only bother with textures and small details during the second stage. If it doesn't look right without textures and small details, it still won't look once you add them. This is something you master in time, though it should be one the first things for new mappers to learn.

I also recommend you watch this entire talk, but if you want to see the part that's relevant for you atm go to 14:40

Edited by Radu

8 hours ago, Radu said:

I don't know if anybody has told you this, but I really can't tell where this level is set in. I'd say Italy because of the skybox, but the environment is one giant mess; absolutely no consistency. I understand some of the textures and models are place holders and I hope you don't take this too hard, but I recommend you redo the art pass from scratch. Research the respective architecture and focus on giving your spaces a purpose. Though, that's more easily done during the early stages of designing your layout; later on it's more difficult, but not hopeless. Once you've decided on the location and architecture, create a prop palette of 20-30 props that make sense and stick to them. I normally split the art pass into two stages. During the first one, I give the environment a basic shape using as few brushes possible to which I add a couple models to detail it. I only bother with textures and small details during the second stage. If it doesn't look right without textures and small details, it still won't look once you add them. This is something you master in time, though it should be one the first things for new mappers to learn.

I also recommend you watch this entire talk, but if you want to see the part that's relevant for you atm go to 14:40

Thanks a ton for the very valuable info. It is set in italy, and I think the main reason it may not be consistent is because some of the detail is reminants from the map's old artstyle, which was set in a more middle eastern area. Are there any areas in particular I can preserve? I've been working seriously hard on this level and this is a huge letdown.

10 hours ago, Klassic said:

Looking very nice!

1 thing i'm missing detailing wise is vertical details. Without it it would look very boring

I will get into actually testing the map gameplay wise when i get steam working!

Thanks a ton. Vertical detail is something I plan on adding, its just that most of the map isn't detailed yet. You'll see more of it soon because italy is a great place to feature vertical detail.

5 minutes ago, BreadParticles said:

the outdoor lighting looks a bit off.

maybe it should be a bit brighter?

I thought it looked plenty bright. The skybox shows a rather cloudy day as well. It does have a pretty dark tone of purple to it, but I and a few playtesters liked the lighting; they considered it unique.