Freaky_Banana

de_oakwood

Hello people!

First off, I want to thank everybody for participating in the playtest on Sunday. From all the great feedback I received, I have picked out the following as the key takeaways:

Required changes:

• Reduce the number of corners that need to be checked. 
  • Reduce the number of paths ("SIMPLIFY!") and clean up some pathing directions / flow.
    (looking at you, B area and A underpass)
  • give a first art pass to help with player navigation and sound differentiation
  • Give Ts more defensive setup areas to stop CT aggression

The positives:

• Individually most areas seem to work, besides some corners that are too much. It was the many connectors that really created confusion. ("I've seen flanks getting flanked!") 
  • The rotations between sites were adequately fast and smooth
  • "This feels like a map"

My proposed changes:

• Two options. One revolves around deleting the T to lower mid connection (that's what's depicted here). The other would be about deleting underpass. (My main worry about that second one, is that taking lowermid would give CTs absolute map control. That's obviously not great and why I think the first is probably preferrable.)

oakwood_pa_7_changes_after_playtest.jpg.b3b4650150f6d0d1ea0a46c89f2ea28a.jpg

Along with these change ideas, there is three final questions I would love to discuss with you:

• How did you feel about engagements in A Main ?
  • Did grenades feel useful on T-side? Was there enough setup areas?
  • How did it feel to play in the middle spiral stairway area? Was it too connected?

Thanks everybody, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Ok people, I've been working a bit on this again lately, and I finally got around to making a proper canvas of reference images. Here it is!

935190224_Oakwoodmoodboard.jpg.a791b12b0ce979fb591408a38efa62c9.jpg

This goes along with my attempt at nailing down the first art pass. I've also finished a large amount of mostly small layout changes - the bigger ones I implemented are roughly the ones shown in the post above (finished those as well). So hopefully I will soon have some finished first pass pictures to show you, stay tuned for that. 

Edited by Freaky_Banana

The post has only the best pics, find the rest on imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/CQKlVkK

Ok people, I haven't finished A side, outsides or middle yet, but I'll be unable to work on this for the next two weeks and wanted to deliver some on my promise before then. So here is a look at the map's new and (hopefully) improved B side. As always, everything is fast compile and temp textures, because full compiles LITERALLY KILL MY LAPTOP in this heat. 

- B Site -

oakwood_pa_110034.jpg.936dc1b22b10307e86fe1d34bac92fc6.jpg

- B Caves -

oakwood_pa_110021.jpg.2b9c5405b35b7032c5dc30b1b2e21b2d.jpg

oakwood_pa_110041.jpg.3b074bdd91bce0828fe2adca56731b68.jpg

(this hallway is not part of the playable area).

- Skywalk -

681697903_Skywalk3.jpg.fed0ea7e978e588d1ffe3676ca268061.jpg

Credit for the glass textures to Skybex and Yanzl from cs_cruise and Puddy and Yanzl from de_breach! Thank you for being able to use these now, long-term plan is 100% custom content.

These shots are only meant to summarize the general style of the B area, you can find more detail and some descriptions I whipped up for the rest of the pics on imgur! https://imgur.com/gallery/CQKlVkK

Cheers, see you all soon

Edited by Freaky_Banana
CREDIT - sorry !