Freaky_Banana

de_oakwood

Green's a bit of a weird colour for the lighting. Make it a sunset yellow, perhaps? Other than that, I'm quite liking it. A circular bomb site is unique in of itself, and the lack of a clear-cut Mid makes finding sniping spots a bit more intelligent than "Go to mid > Find Vantage Point > Shoot". What are the timings like?

Personally, I'd spam a heckload of trees and plants to keep all the greenery and keep it looking like it's a forest, and then make the sky a lovely sunset yellow, like you're fighting at sunset. Also, is it just me who imagines a big ol' barn somewhere on this map, or a wood mill, or something along those lines? Perhaps in mid, to make the map really stand out?

Edited by Shima33

Hey, thanks for the feedback :) ! 

4 hours ago, Shima33 said:

Green's a bit of a weird colour for the lighting. Make it a sunset yellow, perhaps? Other than that, I'm quite liking it.

Do you feel like the lighting is greenish inGame or was this just judging from the screenshots ? Becasue I think those may have a slightly different look than inGame atm (something weird about those reflectivity textures I'm tellin' ya ! :D ).

A circular bomb site is unique in of itself, and the lack of a clear-cut Mid makes finding sniping spots a bit more intelligent than "Go to mid > Find Vantage Point > Shoot". What are the timings like?

Thanks for the compliments on A. It is actually the site I had worked out as the very first part of the map, its first iterations are also to be seen over on Intelligence. The timings are still the same as marked on the layout picture of v7 (except for B Long), so Ts have first acces to the angle in mid, A Long has about one second advantage for CTs, B main can now be held down by CTs working with a comfortable advantage of around four seconds until Ts reach the entrance into the building (they can already hold the sightline to the building's exit before that though, so CTs pushing superaggressive may be punished by attentive Ts !) and B Long is reached by CTs after twelve seconds, whereas Ts need an estimate 14. 

Personally, I'd spam a heckload of trees and plants to keep all the greenery and keep it looking like it's a forest, and then make the sky a lovely sunset yellow, like you're fighting at sunset. Also, is it just me who imagines a big ol' barn somewhere on this map, or a wood mill, or something along those lines? Perhaps in mid, to make the map really stand out?

I will put in a load more trees, when I start to detail and to optimize. For now I fear that the trees may be FPS heavy, considering their amount and the testing skybox (a hollowed out block). But don't worry, later there will be plenty of them ;) .

I like your idea for the sky, that's what I will be aiming for, but for now my priorities are in gameplay and basic visuals, so I will get to the more advanced stuff like a custom skybox later :) .

The barn would certainly fit the theme for anyone who doesn't know the backstory. And I assume here that most casual players won't read that before playing the map (at least I never do that myself :D!). But after reading the story I want to set for the map, a barn is not something to be around the borders of a secret government facility. For giving the map that unique feeling I thought of using tons of displacements, partially even ontop of the facility's roofs, to give the area the feeling of actually being hidden somewhere in the woods. The problems I am facing here, is that I am not too great at working with displacements yet, but I guess that will become ok thanks to the practice I work on this project.

For now thanks for the feedback and Cheers! :) 

Small update here:

I started detailing a bit, just to show, where I want to go with this. Enjoy :) :

Spoiler

trafo.thumb.jpg.8e26c66e85dbdd703d87609356f0798a6300e_newmidtoB.thumb.jpg.81a6fa56f0798bebc1c_newmidtoB2.thumb.jpg.d2733landmark.thumb.jpg.0afa39cb7e19113ff68a3

56f079834e2cb_newLongA2.thumb.jpg.8da35f56f07987b5bec_newLongA.thumb.jpg.fdd4245

also here is a weird graphical issue: Does anyone know what it could be caused by?

56f0797eb8492_weirdbluebug.thumb.jpg.764

v10 implementing these changes is live on workshop now ! 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646851811

I happily await any criticism :) !

Edited by Freaky_Banana
updated workshop

Hey guys, another update hits! With the update I tried to implement some verticality, more foliage and a bit more detail and map connecting theme. Did I manage? Before the playtest tomorrow, I just wanted to show you guys where I am at right now. Any C & C is welcome :) .

56f48e487c213_ALong.thumb.jpg.5e1963e83d56f48e4b03cfd_ALong2.thumb.jpg.163eb142456f48e4d4defc_Bconnector.thumb.jpg.8185656f48e50629c3_Bconnector2.thumb.jpg.5c5e56f48e527f3b4_Bconnector3.thumb.jpg.0e0e56f48e5450b6b_Bmain.thumb.jpg.6e1ff8874aCTmid.thumb.jpg.b99d2ffeac43e75fa785b2fd56f48e5772005_CTB.thumb.jpg.e5a4f89b32eeCT.thumb.jpg.167525b7ffc09d793b3dcfcf39fmid.thumb.jpg.dcf818ef33f835a5e87151d078mid2.thumb.jpg.59eee89b03670358d7b5c5e4756f48e63306da_Tspawn.thumb.jpg.4c7d9189756f48e6475635_Twindow.thumb.jpg.8a79763b56f48e65c3bb8_windowview.thumb.jpg.3c072

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Shibou said:

looks awsome.

Is boosting supposed to be part of gameplay on your map?

No it's not. I did not want to clip anything, until the pathways of the map were clear.

--> aka "I am too lazy to do it yet" :D .

Edited by Freaky_Banana

I think you should review how dense the tree canopy is outside because it also looks very dark in those areas.

Lighting is definitely too green. If it looks OK for you in game then it says more about your settings than anything else.

Maybe boost the light brightness values for primary and ancient lighting a bit, make it more of a very pale orange than greeny, and make it more diffuse. The lighting doesn't look very natural because if it's color and the fact that you are plunged into darkness with shadows and a very hard edge. Softer shadow edges would help lighten it up a bit too.

It would be easier to look at the sky list for csgo to see how other maps have done it and tweak the values of one that comes closest to what you are aiming for.

Edited by jackophant

I have started clipping important areas to prevent the most game breaking boosts. This is not to say that there aren't still plenty of them left, but I will focus my work more on layout and design than on cliping atm.

@jackophant

Fixed! Light is orientated along the values of an official csgo skybox and I moved the trees around a bit, to make dark areas feel less depressing and let in more light (e.g. B to mid connector and Long A).

56f5635f5fcda_Bconnector.thumb.jpg.802f956f56378327b0_BLong.thumb.jpg.8ce8e8430456f563843b873_CTMID.thumb.jpg.0d4250390256f5638cbe2bf_ALong.thumb.jpg.5988600249

5 hours ago, Quotingmc said:

How the leaves go up the rock banks looks really weird, try using the pick faces tool in the info_overlay to remove this

Did that, worked out  perfectly. I had used decals before, but now that the leaves are overlays there should'nt be any leaves creeping up the stones anymore ;) !  

I updated the workshop, so feel free to hop in game and check it out. C & C is welcome.

Cheers!

Edited by Freaky_Banana

Time for v11: 

I have started detailing mid , so now there is at least a little bit of eyecandy on the map. Also I have replaced the textures on my building's walls with 50 % reflectivity textures, to "lighten" the mood of the map :D.  

These screenshots are of the fullcompile, which will be tested in the playtest tonight. Dont miss it ;) !

56f6b917dc130_newmid.thumb.jpg.2948270f756f6b91ca6abd_newmid3.thumb.jpg.e57afe4856f6b919a375a_newmid2.thumb.jpg.97bc2ba256f6b9144fb4e_newmid5.thumb.jpg.dcdcd7f056f6b91f2e4c4_newmid4.thumb.jpg.d29a7301

I also heightened the ceiling in T mid, to make the room feel less depressing and more like what I want it to be (a sort of pauseroom).

Cheers!

Edited by Freaky_Banana

Just a minor thing, as I'm running through it I noticed that on B site the glass on the top isn't breakable, and the bomb decal extends to a spot you cannot plant. The glass above B site feels like it should be breakable, as glass with that texture is breakable throughout the rest of the map. It'll also allow more nades into site.

The decal on B - The floor decal that marks the plant zone shows on the floor behind the big crate, yet you cannot plant there (the big box, you cannot plant near ct there). Either move the decal inwards so it cannot be seen on the floor in spots you cannot plant, or extend the plant zone.