Freaky_Banana

de_oakwood

hello wanderer, 

may I stop you just for a minute, to tell you the tales of the seemingly fantastic? An ancient map long forgotten about ... 

young fellow, have you ever heard of  

*thunder rolls in the distance*

... oakwood?

Ah yes, a fine young map, much like you, ages ago, that went out to seek an adventure.

It had been raised fantastically by the always well-meaning community of its little town, Mapcore. But Oakwood wasn't yet done with what it wanted to see, wanted to do, to become. And so it left one night in their sleep. 

Today many don't know of it, but those who do, still wonder, whatever may have happened to it ...

But I, young fellow, I have seen it, and from here on out, I am here to share my stories with you: 

after the short storytime which I hope you all enjoyed: it's been too long ... but I'm back! And I am so glad to be! After more than an entire year of intense personal life problems, I have finally picked myself up again and gathered enough energy to pursue this ancient project of mine. Not to say there hasn't been any activity on my end regarding it though.

Some of you may have seen my post in the lands many thought only existed in legends, the place noone has ever seen, except for those courageous enough to walk off the road and step into the mapping swamp's *flat* waters. Yes, I am talking about the

2D Forums

But here it is, in case you missed it:

much of what I presented there has already changed again, but it can give you a rough idea of where I want to take this project.

One of the overhauled areas is A with its Long entrance, always a favorite place of mine. So without further ado: here is a little peek at the overhauled A site and surrounding area.

5a555ab102129_Amountainside.jpg.4ee4b05a36063cac8219b84d9bea5a55.jpg

5a555aaf5d0e0_MountainsideAcurve.jpg.e3bf114955512e3078f559560bc3b437.jpg

5a555aea10107_MountainsideMain.jpg.2a72acf7a6337f25acf15b864b0069b3.jpg

5a555b0ecc864_MountainsideAlong2.jpg.fcc34fb5bfbf61efca5848e401434837.jpg

5a555ab042458_MountainsideALong.jpg.c79378f6eff31a6662879889eb2e6452.jpg

I hope you enjoy! Definitely let me know what you think, I am super eager for feedback on the new visuals! 

Cheers and hope you have a great rest of the night!

Quentin

Edited by Freaky_Banana

On 1/10/2018 at 2:03 AM, Freaky_Banana said:

5a555aaf5d0e0_MountainsideAcurve.jpg.e3bf114955512e3078f559560bc3b437.jpg

Not sure what kind of feedback on the visuals you expect for a greybox, but for some reason I expect the left curved wall and/or the ceiling to be made of glass to let the natural light flood in that area?

I liked the theme you had going on the previous screenshots and I'm glad to see you pick this project up again, looking forward to the release! 

5 hours ago, mryeah said:

Not sure what kind of feedback on the visuals you expect for a greybox, but for some reason I expect the left curved wall and/or the ceiling to be made of glass to let the natural light flood in that area?

I liked the theme you had going on the previous screenshots and I'm glad to see you pick this project up again, looking forward to the release! 

hey, thanks a ton for the compliment on previous screenshots! 

Concerning the visual feedback, after I read your comment I realised that "visuals" is not what I wanted the feedback on. As you said yourself I feel like the previous' iteration's visuals worked quite well for my theme. What didn't work well for me was creating believable architecture that still functioned well as a CSGO map. That is the problem I am trying to tackle with this new version of de_oakwood. 

In that light, I think it's best, if I rephrase my question for "feedback on the new architecture." Thanks for pointing out this error!

Regarding the glass walls, it may be tough making the walls glass, since this part of the map will be inside a hillside, but the roof can definitely get a few slits here an there :) !

Also I made a little bit of progress: 

5a59069ed6392_AMain.jpg.037a50fb293d62daed2f138b9eb6dc97.jpg

loadup.jpg.7b160fd55f6dd6242a75168fd3021184.jpg

There is a little bit more, but that doesn't feel presentable yet. Right now I am looking to fix superlong sightlines in CT Spawn and create a fun to play B bombsite.

Cheers!