Interests in a prop database?

JSadones

Hello, I was wondering for a while that if there is a CS:GO database of all the props. I have not found any, and the current prop browser in CS:GO is really bad, not good categorized and really hard to browse props.

Would people be interested in a webpage where you can easily browse props?

Edit: Have a working preview online : http://csgo.hammerdb.info
It's currently only HTML, but I'm creating the database connections now to allow custom content.

4tunyxo.png

Idea I had in mind, really simplified. Just as a draft.

Features I had in mind

• All CS:GO props in one place
  • Easily searchable
  • Categories
  • Extensive search
  • Item tagging
  • Maptags

If you are interested in this, and would like this to be a thing, please answer :

•  What would be important to keep saved in the database? 
  •  What details should an object have ?
  •  How would you like to search items?
  •  Any ideas

Edited by JSadones

Think the most important thing for it to be usable would be the path to copy in the entity(?). Has the "Add to project" button something to do with that, or that is for creating a collection of props for a current project one has?

Is that a Wordpress plugin or something like that, or a proper mockup in Photoshop? Anyway, I might be able to help styling/creating the layout/template if you need help.

Edited by blackdog

Think the most important thing for it to be usable would be the path to copy in the entity(?). Has the "Add to project" button something to do with that, or that is for creating a collection of props for a current project one has?

Is that a Wordpress plugin or something like that, or a proper mockup in Photoshop? Anyway, I might be able to help styling/creating the layout/template if you need help.

What do you mean by coping the entity? Inside a VMF file ?
The "Add to project" is just an idea I had for in the future. You will be able to create a project inside the website and then add a model to that project. 

It's currently only Bootstrap, you can actually already visit it at csgo.hammerDB.info
I'll probably need help in the future, so I'll contact you then. Currently I have to write a lot of PHP to be able to log into accounts etc

I mean that if you can only browse a set of props is useless, you would still have to use the Hammer browser to place a prop in the map. If your project is to bypass that, the only way I know is that you get the default file path from your database and paste it into the entity in the map.

Unless I'm not understanding what is the project supposed to achieve.

I mean that if you can only browse a set of props is useless, you would still have to use the Hammer browser to place a prop in the map. If your project is to bypass that, the only way I know is that you get the default file path from your database and paste it into the entity in the map.

Unless I'm not understanding what is the project supposed to achieve.

Yeah of course you will still need to use the Hammer Model Viewer to place props in the map. But the point of this website would be that props are easier to search. The model viewer is not that extensive, it only has a few categories and if you don't know the name of the model, you can't search it.

The project is so that you can click a category and see all models inside that category. Props will also be tagged like "modern", "plant", "interior", ...
If they are part of a set of props (like ventilation props) they will also be included in there.

Tophatwaffle however gave me the idea of making a "zoo" map, this way you can select a few models and click "Export to VMF". Then all selected props will be added to a VMF that you can open in hammer.

Hope this clears some confusion.

Having the ability to search for actual custom props is something people could look for. The idea would then would be to ensure people know what common creative licenses are so that they do go out selling the props people would share there.

I say that because I know that personnally I don't think something is that wrong with the current browser, you ought to know what you're looking for, but when you do you find things easily. Categorizing it will then be something you'd have to do to give a real plus!

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Oleboy555 said:

is this dead?

Initially I stopped working on it because I really wanted to have a 3D preview of the models, however legally this would be an issue. However recently I also received a PM on Reddit asking if this was still a thing. I know people would appreciate it and probably even could work with people just uploading screenshots and maintaining it. I'll maybe have another look at it for a sideproject :)

On 26-3-2017 at 4:43 PM, JSadones said:

Initially I stopped working on it because I really wanted to have a 3D preview of the models, however legally this would be an issue. However recently I also received a PM on Reddit asking if this was still a thing. I know people would appreciate it and probably even could work with people just uploading screenshots and maintaining it. I'll maybe have another look at it for a sideproject :)

it'be awesome!