Sign in to follow this  
st0lve

The 'Core Sketch Thread!?

since i am awaiting a pen display, i though it would be wise to get back to drawing. hence i took a closer look at one (the most) famous games out there and check out how they did.

copied_painting.jpg

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but which game is that from? Reminds me of an older, LucasArts-esque game.

indeed that's a small fragment of a monkey island 3 scene. i so love this game. best 2d artwork ever seen.

I got myself a gnomon workshop dvd on speed painting, got inspired by it and decided to do something very random to practise some of the techniques I learned on the DVD. The composition itself is boring as hell, my only real focus was to learn to paint with colors instead of painting with shades of gray and then applying a color correction as I used to do. I learned a lot doing this quick one so I guess it was worth the time!

sketch_crash_site.jpg

":1nsm59uz]Very nice Minus.

the first thing that crossed my mind when i saw those brushes was "TF2" style.

Anyone's with me? :D

I'm with you there, HP!

Looks really cool Minotaur, I really like the use of colour. The yellow doesn't stand out too much from the green/brown, which is nice.

i think it has a bit of a lacking background - where's the horizon? what landscape is this?

i completely dig the style though, very dramatic/expressionistic, which i feel most concept art should have, especially art that depicts a scenario/story or a landscape:

guildwarsfactionsnagahuds7.jpg

guildwarsfactionsnomadiyq8.jpg

the bigger strokes give it a bit more cartoony look, but overall it's good looking - just finish it :P

Wow minos, this is indeed a really boring composition !!! Hopefully you learned some stuff from it !

And I can see who is the gentleman inspired you to do speedpaintings of environnements :oops: .

Been a while i haven't draw my stuff, it took me the afternoon, and that was strangely refreshing; so here goes :)

punkette.jpg