maxlevelboi

[Source] Need help with strange leak

I have never learnt what to keep as brushes and what to make into func details but I assume I should go a bit more crazy with my func_detailing?

Don't test  leaves performances with Vvis in fast, you need a full compile to check if they are working well. Because fast don't calculate visibility between leaves.

also this kind of error can happen when your leaves are damn too complicated, something like this :

4jvmme.jpg

Also 90% brushes, that's a huge map !!

(The Aqueduct is made out of a lot of brushes hehe)

I have never learnt what to keep as brushes and what to make into func details but I assume I should go a bit more crazy with my func_detailing?

I'm no pro or anything but general rule of thumb:

Func_detail it when:

• Has too many faces (cylinders, ..)
  • Is used to detail the world (most likely it's small and has lots of faces too)
  • It's too small to block visibility of a large area

I stronly recommend to read @will2k's Man vs Engine. It covers func_detailing, as well as areaportals, occluders and more.

Basically, when you check off all visgroups except for world brushes, you should be left with basic square rooms preferably.

Here's an example of HL2 with everything disabled but world brushes. It's not the world's best example, since they forgot to func_detail some brushes, but you can see it gets rather empty when disabling func_details ;)

C17plaza-worldbrush.jpg

If you're done optimizing your map, there should be a good chance the leak issue will be solved automatically, as @El_Exodus already mentioned.

I stronly recommend to read @will2k's Man vs Engine. It covers func_detailing, as well as areaportals, occluders and more.

Basically, when you check off all visgroups except for world brushes, you should be left with basic square rooms preferably.

Here's an example of HL2 with everything disabled but world brushes. It's not the world's best example, since they forgot to func_detail some brushes, but you can see it gets rather empty when disabling func_details ;)

C17plaza-worldbrush.jpg

If you're done optimizing your map, there should be a good chance the leak issue will be solved automatically, as @El_Exodus already mentioned.

Thank you so much for the help : -)! I am for ever in debt to this community!

I think this enforces the point I was making before about you having too much going on. you could probably improve the feel (and optimisation) of the map by simplifying areas and having less brushwork/props.

Simple debugging really, create a temporary file where you delete 20 things, recompile and check. Delete 20 more things, recompile and check. If it suddenly works, take back the last 20 things and delete 5 of them, recompile and check etc. until you get to the one thing that's causing the problem.

Usually results in finding the problem. Unless you've really screwed up something :)

But make all details func_detail the sooner the better, it's insane how much time is wasted in the compile until you do.

You can search for "log" in your csgo folder, after a compile, the latest compile log will be at the top. In the log, simply search for "numportal" and see what number it says. I started out with something like 17k which is way to much, got it down to around 2900 after hours of func detailing. 

You can search for "log" in your csgo folder, after a compile, the latest compile log will be at the top. In the log, simply search for "numportal" and see what number it says. I started out with something like 17k which is way to much, got it down to around 2900 after hours of func detailing. 

Func_detailing is the way to go!

Simple debugging really, create a temporary file where you delete 20 things, recompile and check. Delete 20 more things, recompile and check. If it suddenly works, take back the last 20 things and delete 5 of them, recompile and check etc. until you get to the one thing that's causing the problem.

Usually results in finding the problem. Unless you've really screwed up something :)

But make all details func_detail the sooner the better, it's insane how much time is wasted in the compile until you do.

Func_detailing the hell out of my level when I come home B -)!

I think this enforces the point I was making before about you having too much going on. you could probably improve the feel (and optimisation) of the map by simplifying areas and having less brushwork/props.

Will cut down on brushwork as much as possible : -)!