Dosentti

de_farm [WIP]

Not bad textures at all :). But those bump-maps are a no-no. I'm not wrong to assume they are generated? Nothing wrong with that if you know what you are doing but I would recommend you to do them by hand. I sculpt mine or as simple as subdividing a flat plane and moving and beveling parts sometime and just bake that.

8 hours ago, Vorontsov said:

Not bad textures at all :). But those bump-maps are a no-no. I'm not wrong to assume they are generated? Nothing wrong with that if you know what you are doing but I would recommend you to do them by hand. I sculpt mine or as simple as subdividing a flat plane and moving and beveling parts sometime and just bake that.

Hmm.. I'm useless with bump maps :D I somehow find it very difficult to see when they are great and when they suck. I generate Bumpmaps with crazybump and in crazybump I try to adjust it. In most of textures I have raised intensity, sharpness and all details (very small, small, medium, large and x-large). 

Could you help me with one example texture? If I send you the original texture and you create an example bump for it? That would be very helpful.

I like where you're going with this. I took a few minutes to provide some feedback and conceptualize a bit. Hope you don't mind:

Spoiler

32UL5JRv2.jpg

A few notes:

1. Window frames on the big barn (visible in the top left corner of the screenshot above) needs to be pushed in towards the building. Right now they look a bit like they have been hung on a nail, like a painting.

2. The window frame on the closest barn has the opposite problem and needs to pop just slightly.

2. Your mountains are a bit dark and blend in with your foreground.

3. The buildings look like they haven't been painted in a century, some color and a slight increase in value could add some life to the scene. Faded red with white corners would instantly sell the farm concept to me.

4. While on the topic of life, needs more greenery! :)

5. The fence poles could do with some random rotations so as to not appear perfectly straight.

6. I think dust clouds could be an interesting detail for added movement.

7. Vertical details for that unique flavour!

Keep it up!

3 hours ago, Vorontsov said:

When I'm too lazy or don't have time to sculpt a nice normal map, I do them somewhat like this in that case.

So the difference between mine and this example is that in your bumpmap there's far fewer detail. It just gives basic shape for the tiles(in this case). Am I right?

22 hours ago, grapen said:

I like where you're going with this. I took a few minutes to provide some feedback and conceptualize a bit. Hope you don't mind:

Reveal hidden contents

32UL5JRv2.jpg

A few notes:

1. Window frames on the big barn (visible in the top left corner of the screenshot above) needs to be pushed in towards the building. Right now they look a bit like they have been hung on a nail, like a painting.

2. The window frame on the closest barn has the opposite problem and needs to pop just slightly.

2. Your mountains are a bit dark and blend in with your foreground.

3. The buildings look like they haven't been painted in a century, some color and a slight increase in value could add some life to the scene. Faded red with white corners would instantly sell the farm concept to me.

4. While on the topic of life, needs more greenery! :)

5. The fence poles could do with some random rotations so as to not appear perfectly straight.

6. I think dust clouds could be an interesting detail for added movement.

7. Vertical details for that unique flavour!

Keep it up!

Thanks! This helps a lot. I have to admit that with your modifications it looks more alive and real. (3D) skybox and mountain card etc I will create/remake later after summer but that fence and other stuff that's more related to this specific area I will absolutely do next week.

A generated bumpmap, is inconsistent in everything and usually not good enough unless you know what to do with them. It doesn't know how to make your planks or bricks pop properly for example, it doesn't know what height info to generate from unless you feed it one, so it's just guesswork & making everything look like dough. It's hard to explain but it is very easy to see a generated result and they usually don't look good, it's better to keep them minimal, unless as I said you are going to sculpt or do them in Substance.

The differences between ours is, I have the result I wanted as I made it "pop out" how I wanted in 3D space, also consistent although minimal because I didn't sculpt the bricks individually.

10 minutes ago, Vorontsov said:

A generated bumpmap, is inconsistent in everything and usually not good enough unless you know what to do with them. It doesn't know how to make your planks or bricks pop properly for example, it doesn't know what height info to generate from unless you feed it one, so it's just guesswork & making everything look like dough. It's hard to explain but it is very easy to see a generated result and they usually don't look good, it's better to keep them minimal, unless as I said you are going to sculpt or do them in Substance.

The differences between ours is, I have the result I wanted as I made it "pop out" how I wanted in 3D space, also consistent although minimal because I didn't sculpt the bricks individually.

Okay. I think I understand what you mean. I can't see it in my textures yet but I guess it'll come when I have spend some more time with normal maps. Which program do you use to sculpt normals? I googled it and found some: Photoshop CC would be great but it costs too much, Autodesk Mudbox (free for student) seemed too complex to learn fast? and Shadermap would be my choice even though it costs 50€. It was pretty easy to use at least but does it have all the functions I need? 

You can use any 3D package you want, they are just tools. I do most of my modeling and sculpting in Modo actually, lately I've been messing more with Sculptris. I just don't like Zbrush ui or navigation and I can get by without it since I'm a free-time amateur.

I'll probably generate my normals to this project but I have to get deeper into normals later. I'll just make sure I won't go too crazy with it. 
Starting to sculpt my normals now will either kill or delay my project/timetable.

Anyways. Thank you for this. It's always good to hear how it really should be done. I'll save this tip for later :)

Hello everyone,

as some of you probably remember I had a summer project for school in which I was suppose to finish part of this map (B-bombsite, B-long, Middle and CT-spawn. I had some problems during the summer and even though I worked 40 hours a week for the most of time I couldn't finish it as well as I wanted.

After 350 hours of work I finally got the file size a bit smaller. It was almost 400 MB, now it's 120 MB. So now the file size is doable but there are still two areas and 3D skybox that have to be decorated/built. There are also so much stuff that I would like to add (like smaller models and a ton of decals) but in the future we'll see how much I can add in there. Also don't get mad if I haven't added stuff that you suggested into the map. It's simply because I have prioritized updates (that doesn't affect on gameplay) a bit lower. So they are to come but later. :)

It would be helpful if someone could help with the file size. It's hard to find more stuff to shrink but I bet there is some.

So things I want to get feedback about

• How to optimize file size even more
  • The feeling: It should be a farm but does it feel like it?
  • improvements: which details need more work? what should it look like?
  • bugs: see black spots? transparent walls? stuck in the displacements
  • You can also comment on layout but I won't change it anymore, it is what it is.
  • Pretty much anything.. 

I hope you'll like it.

Here are some screenshots in imgur album.

Here's the workshop link.

On 8/29/2016 at 3:38 PM, Dosentti said:

Hello everyone,

as some of you probably remember I had a summer project for school in which I was suppose to finish part of this map (B-bombsite, B-long, Middle and CT-spawn. I had some problems during the summer and even though I worked 40 hours a week for the most of time I couldn't finish it as well as I wanted.

After 350 hours of work I finally got the file size a bit smaller. It was almost 400 MB, now it's 120 MB. So now the file size is doable but there are still two areas and 3D skybox that have to be decorated/built. There are also so much stuff that I would like to add (like smaller models and a ton of decals) but in the future we'll see how much I can add in there. Also don't get mad if I haven't added stuff that you suggested into the map. It's simply because I have prioritized updates (that doesn't affect on gameplay) a bit lower. So they are to come but later. :)

It would be helpful if someone could help with the file size. It's hard to find more stuff to shrink but I bet there is some.

So things I want to get feedback about

• How to optimize file size even more
  • The feeling: It should be a farm but does it feel like it?
  • improvements: which details need more work? what should it look like?
  • bugs: see black spots? transparent walls? stuck in the displacements
  • You can also comment on layout but I won't change it anymore, it is what it is.
  • Pretty much anything.. 

I hope you'll like it.

Here are some screenshots in imgur album.

Here's the workshop link.

Looking good!

After yesterday's playtest I realized I underachieved with the summer when I created a lot of textures and models to this map.

So today I sat down and took a look to the map...

I realized that I had changed few "minor" things(mid hay bales, garage routes, ct to A connector...etc) among one bigger thing (mid->dryer route) in layout and those little things messed up a lot.
In playtest people opened up my eyes to see those too long sightlines in the map. So I took photoshop and placed latest radar (that got many thanks in playtest xD) in there. I drew all sightlines and tried to make few changes to cut those sightlines and make it more playable.

Here's imgur album of changes I made today. In the album I added some captions to explain what's the deal in each picture.

I also clipped some stairs and fixed some other minor things that came up during playtest. I'll try to make time to create new radar, fix some textures and update the map.

All feedback and bug reporting etc.. is very welcome. Thanks :) 

7 hours ago, RA7 said:

Spoiler

yxVMYAP.jpg

The left between the mountain and the field seems a bit empty and bland.

Yes, sorry I didn't remember to write that the map is still WIP. 3D skybox will fill that gap in there and I will create 3D skybox after layout is 100% complete so that I don't have to recreate it many times.

Edited by Dosentti