Sign in to follow this  
von*ferret

First Unreal 2004 Experience

like I said its only something you might see in a functional game level, its not intended for actual gameplay although I designed it to have the ABILITIY to become one. So I'm not going to add any weapons.

of course it has brushes, however 90% of the level was built out of static meshes.

is that just your map, or are all UT maps like that?

Depends on the map. I've seen good maps that are nearly 100% smesh and good maps that are nearly 100% brush. Really just depends on what you're going for.

Meshes are pretty cool

Nice theme choice

Dunno if you still gonna work on it but :

The statue is too white and the contrast between the statue and the environment is too harsh, the harmony is lost

The lighting in general in the room is not so goodas you already know, it has too much black which make it all look harsh and not balanced and there should be more color and more lightsourcing, for example if you look at the second picture the wall right next to a torch is equally bright as a wall or ceiling 2 meter further where there is no torch, not possible. You need stronger highlights, which will also improve your lighting composition and make your eyes move around better, guidiance by highlighting

The meshes might also need more tesselations for better lighting

Some of the UT2 textures might also not fit because of their different color and style but thats hard to say since its all rather dark

And the mesh ring thing that is around the statue comes across rather old school bsp like rather than mesh :)

of course it has brushes, however 90% of the level was built out of static meshes.

is that just your map, or are all UT maps like that?

Depends on the map. I've seen good maps that are nearly 100% smesh and good maps that are nearly 100% brush. Really just depends on what you're going for.

From what i've seen those abstract deathmatch arena's seem to be more bsp, and the rest is more terrain/ mesh. Like dm_sae (/pets Hourences) was 100% mesh if i remember well.

Wow thanks for your comments hourence. How exactly do I increase tesselation for better lighting? DO you mean more polygons in my models or is there something I missed in unreal ed?

Yeah, more tessellation is pretty much adding more polygons. Meshes in most current engines use vertex lighting, meaning they pick up lighting data at the vertices and then get how bright to make each pixel by interpolating from the vertices across the face. If you have a large flat plane with vertices at the ends only, then there will only be a smooth gradient of lighting across the face. If there is a small object above the middle of the face, it will not cast a shadow on the face since lighting info is only taken from vertices. If you then broke this flat surface up into smaller sections, there will be more vertices from which the face is taking its lighting data, and so you will get more variation in lighting across the surface. The more poly's, the more accurate the lighting, but of course the less optimal the model. You need to balance out between tessellation and optimisation really.

Yeah I understand, I might go back and redo the statue but right now I'm starting on my final project as well as trying to comlpete my next assignment on "movers" and crap. If I do anything it will be fix up the lighting on the leve.