Sign in to follow this  
clankill3r

The Witness

I remember some of the articles he wrote about the engine. It had some interesting features for live editing and hot swapping. Ever object file in the game was plaintext and he could reload everything in a second or two. I have no idea how...

Game looks really beautiful. I haven't been interested in his previous games but I do want to try this.

The terrain system is definitely the highlight for me.  More engines should have this kind of flexibility.

http://the-witness.net/news/2010/05/kriging-is-cool/

I can't wait to start on it tomorrow, the environment art is crazy good.  turns out stylization is still cool and more devs need to try it.

Well Jonathan Blow is good in making puzzles, it won't be the same all over again but it will build on previous knowledge. It makes me wonder what you would have added :)

I don't doubt that, but it looks like it's "just" labyrinth panels. Wonder if it'll grow boring.
My thought was going to narration though, doesn't feel like there is much/any, although might be a great example of environmental narration.

I've put it in my list and will see if to buy it straight away or wait a bit. The review make it sound as another time sinker...

Game looks so beautiful, I'm really curious to explore it. Puzzles didn't convince me too much, i mean they are abstract puzzles, which is not necessarily bad but is the only thing that there is. Seems a bit of a wasted opportunity.

PS: OpenCritic?? When did this thing came out??

Where are the articles? I've subscribed his YT channel but then he flooded it with the game dev language stuff that I couldn't really follow. Even just in terms of time, 1+ hour per video, don't have the time for something I can't work on.

Here's the article

http://the-witness.net/news/2011/12/engine-tech-concurrent-world-editing/

I totally agree with him on XML btw. It's a shitty way to store data. If you are storing plaintext and it's hard to read it should at least be fast to parse (which isn't the case). Basically the worst of all worlds. 

Played it for a few hours yesterday and so far I am absolutely in love with it.

Getting stuck at a panel, going somewhere else to clear your thoughts and take a crack at another panel and then suddenly getting an idea for the previous panel happened multiple times yesterday, creating a really neat and rewarding loop. Also helps when the environments look so dayum good :)

Also, this is a really good girlfriend co-op like game. Played it with my gf yesterday, and even though she's much smarter than me then we actually moments or panels that one of us were better at, rather than her just solving everything :D

Anyway, think we stopped playing just as shit is about to get more difficult, but so far it totally lives up to the hype :)

Getting stuck at a panel, going somewhere else to clear your thoughts and take a crack at another panel and then suddenly getting an idea for the previous panel happened multiple times yesterday, creating a really neat and rewarding loop. Also helps when the environments look so dayum good :)

Also, this is a really good girlfriend co-op like game. Played it with my gf yesterday, and even though she's much smarter than me then we actually moments or panels that one of us were better at, rather than her just solving everything :D

Anyway, think we stopped playing just as shit is about to get more difficult, but so far it totally lives up to the hype :)

Is it just the two of you playing on one screen but playing together with one controller? It's not actually 2 player?

Is it just the two of you playing on one screen but playing together with one controller? It's not actually 2 player?

Nah it's just a one player game, but one that's quite well suited to have another person sitting by and pitch in (though I'm probably gonna try and play most of it on my own :v)

ahah, that's like us last night one to one!

Great game man, I keep telling her to stop and take a screenshot, lmao.

I might as well purchase this. Braid is one of my favourite puzzle games of all time and after reading your reviews, I'm even more inclined to get Tha Weedness. Let's see what mr. JBlow has been cooking.

I have read all the negative reviews today on steam. Funny how people can use "the whole game is" after playing 0.5 hours :)

Anyway, a lot of negative reviews seems from users that don't like using a brain which makes me really want to buy the game.
First I need to finish some freelance work :(