maxlevelboi

de_aqueduct new level in need of feedback BAD!

Updated yet again with graphics getting prioritized : -)

Next patch will focus on replacing windows that are just stuck to walls like stickers

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600728667

F75CE9A1806038B7D6E1D3A76A78565A279BE917273ACA1F9AB031AE23267CF2892BC0E3EEB48287E21CB2A94FF7DA85D650EA9B7C08A227A92B302336D925A233FE8836B3F27A5126859A8FA5A183170347460F37DDB253D40CF02FCD389A058F7F5FC9A81EDC7BB5E551505E9DE35F6F86CEA378E1EEB7

Edited by maxlevelboi

You should prioritize the graphics by making the map design more consistent, not more detailed. Also, work on the texture noise, make sure the fog stays only within the skybox and not the playable areas. Remove the colors that stick out and use them to guide players, perhaps instead of using more colors only have two dominant colors in the map.

Currently your map is very yellow, perhaps add red/yellow palette? Have more buildings in red? Or maybe yellow/blue? See what works for you, usually it makes the map stick out more and make it look less "dust2" from the workshop.

You should prioritize the graphics by making the map design more consistent, not more detailed. Also, work on the texture noise, make sure the fog stays only within the skybox and not the playable areas. Remove the colors that stick out and use them to guide players, perhaps instead of using more colors only have two dominant colors in the map.

Currently your map is very yellow, perhaps add red/yellow palette? Have more buildings in red? Or maybe yellow/blue? See what works for you, usually it makes the map stick out more and make it look less "dust2" from the workshop.

Thanks for the feedback : -) I am thinking of choosing the classical blue and orange theme for the level and I will make sure to fix the issues pronto!

I hope this patch will be an improvement : -)!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600728667

E145FB5BCF63F17FC535A5AE5E936452947E2FF60A5BB317B794EF6750E7C5907006A2D88FC3B7602E5D0FB36EBB6ACA8078B894E92BE6A8674BD29CE9DFF4DF7892E5F780BAA97DCB305C52EB53B37EE2230F757E2B6F01997121F32A7031EB980F29C4

Edited by maxlevelboi

Wow man, that last graphics update looks much improved! The huge aqueduct being balanced atop those plaster walls seems to irk me a bit, but the color palate is much better and consistent, and it doesn't look like dust2 any more. The red bricks might be out of place as well. I like the plaster more. Keep it going!

Edited by wylde
missed some things

Wow man, that last graphics update looks much improved! The huge aqueduct being balanced atop those plaster walls seems to irk me a bit, but the color palate is much better and consistent, and it doesn't look like dust2 any more. The red bricks might be out of place as well. I like the plaster more. Keep it going!

Thanks man : -)! I am going to fix the pillars that support it, I agree plaster is stupid for that location!

I like it, but I feel like there is "too much" going on. Making colors and details less or more thought over might improve this. 

Trying to cut down on noise : -) any areas in particular?

have you thought a mapcore playtest? Good way to get a rush of feedback

the detailing looks super busy...in your last post the first/second compared to third screenshot- it doesn't look like the same area/theme? Modern bins mixed with dust2 textures and signage?

you seem to have mashed a lot of different themes together into something I don't quite believe (also personal gripe, you've mixed the use of the fine orange and broad red bomb site signage).

IMO it kind of looks like you've mashed Assassin's creed, Witcher and FEAR together.

Regarding how busy the detailing looks, it's advisable to leave finer detail above the playable area to reduce visibility issues, but you've not left a single face without a prop or graffiti on it. It just feels very cluttered everywhere.

Following on from the detailing, your architecture: it's important for it to be believable and right now you have a lot of strangely angled buildings and unrealistic overhangs. Supports can make things feel more grounded, but the overhang still has to feel realistic. Do you have any reference photos?

have you thought a mapcore playtest? Good way to get a rush of feedback

the detailing looks super busy...in your last post the first/second compared to third screenshot- it doesn't look like the same area/theme? Modern bins mixed with dust2 textures and signage?

you seem to have mashed a lot of different themes together into something I don't quite believe (also personal gripe, you've mixed the use of the fine orange and broad red bomb site signage).

IMO it kind of looks like you've mashed Assassin's creed, Witcher and FEAR together.

Regarding how busy the detailing looks, it's advisable to leave finer detail above the playable area to reduce visibility issues, but you've not left a single face without a prop or graffiti on it. It just feels very cluttered everywhere.

Following on from the detailing, your architecture: it's important for it to be believable and right now you have a lot of strangely angled buildings and unrealistic overhangs. Supports can make things feel more grounded, but the overhang still has to feel realistic. Do you have any reference photos?

Thanks for the feedback : -)! I have not conducted a playtest session yet and I have references it is a personal issue I have when I work I tend to work without references in mind sadly however I am trying to improve and it is good to be reminded! : -)

I am fixing the detailing issues and trying to fix the consistent theme throughout the level more and more : -)!

had a run about (just initial thoughts):

- reduce the amount of props massively. you have way too many things going on that don't add to the map. Cars going through walls(?), random pallet trucks/doors etc spammed every where. Texture set should be more refined too. I think this map is using a little of everything just now. :P too much prop repetition and too many different texture sets used. Interesting combo..

- I don't think you need the squeeky onto B. The other one seems pretty redundant too.

- Bombsites are on the small side.

- seems like a lot of unnecessary areas.

Mapcore playtest would help a lot imo.

I made an album of some little picky things, you could change them if you'd like: http://imgur.com/a/JISwB

Also, as others have mentioned, simplicity is key. I feel like you need to have more fluid structures, there are a bunch of random mismatched houses and apartments.