Sprony

Site Changes and Feedback

I realise it's all WIP, but just wanna say I don't like the massive "Our Picks" thing on the front page now. Personally, I want to be able to see the sub-forums front and centre as soon as the page loads. If you want a more editorialised front-page, maybe mapcore.org/forums could lead to the old stripped-down version for those of us who can find stuff ourselves?

1 hour ago, Pampers said:

pretty neat changes! but everything is so bright! would it be possible to toggle to a dark theme manually?

That really depends on much we are going to customize is. If it's not much, it would be easier to add a darker template. But if we do have to change a lot, that basically means making and maintaining to different templates which involves a lot of work.

3 hours ago, text_fish said:

I realise it's all WIP, but just wanna say I don't like the massive "Our Picks" thing on the front page now. Personally, I want to be able to see the sub-forums front and centre as soon as the page loads. If you want a more editorialised front-page, maybe mapcore.org/forums could lead to the old stripped-down version for those of us who can find stuff ourselves?

Actually, this is a feature that a lot of people requested so it's here to stay. That doesn't mean we can't tweak it based on the feedback we get. So we'll take the size of it into account.

3 hours ago, Pampers said:

pretty neat changes! but everything is so bright! would it be possible to toggle to a dark theme manually?

That really depends on much we are going to customize is. If it's not much, it would be easier to add a darker template. But if we do have to change a lot, that basically means making and maintaining to different templates which involves a lot of work.

6 hours ago, text_fish said:

Actually, this is a feature that a lot of people requested so it's here to stay. That doesn't mean we can't tweak it based on the feedback we get. So we'll take the size of it into account.

I hope you do add a darker version because this one is a pain in the eyes when you're in a dark room.

Could we atleast get a "toggle" button for "Our Picks" like we have for subforums?

Edited by Lajron

I just wanted say thank for the update, site looks fresh :)

Regarding the dark theme that some are requesting, it is quite easy with CSS to do, but it is very much up to the forum developer to make it easy to maintain. Some websites switch to dark at night automatically, others let the user switch... if is not supported there's risk of having to update two themes at every platform update.

I took your point about the 'Our Picks' widget being a bit big, especially on mobile. I've hidden some of the less essential information in it which I hope makes it more palatable. While more substantial changes can be done to make to possible to hide it altogether, that would require diving into the templates and potentially custom JS as it's not native functionality, and as Sprony indicates we're trying to avoid doing that as much as possible because it makes updates (which love to occasionally require resetting your templates) very difficult. So essentially it's CSS-based tweaks instead.

The dark theme requests make sense and I'll look into it once we've finished fine-tuning this update. Granted we've never had this and I don't think the forum is any brighter than it's ever been, but it's becoming a popular feature these days so I can look at doing this in a way that again is as easy as possible to maintain. The forum has robust tools for customising the colour scheme on top of a single theme, however it does fall apart a bit once you add custom templates and/or third-party plugins into the mix, hence again us trying to minimise use of those.

Hi, just noticed that the formatting bug of bigger font when you paste is still present. I thought was happening only editing a post but this is the result after pasting while composing the post:

IMG_3741.PNG.6d8c63984b60888325364fc2d58a5df7.PNG

@Thrik I would be keen in helping out with the darker theme custom CSS, I understand is a bit in the back burner so I could play around on an offline/local version and see if is any good.

Weird. The forum does preserve formatting if you paste text, however a 'Pasted as rich text. Paste as plain text instead' link should appear in the editor. Does that appear if you scroll down? If not, I guess that is another bug I should raise.

I'll PM you in relation to the theme.