Sprony

Site Changes and Feedback

On 27/09/2017 at 12:54 AM, Vilham said:

Front page now has a scroll bar, its all fucked up.

Do you have a screenshot of this? I've not been able to see it myself (in Chrome or Safari in desktop or mobile size).

I have noticed that occasionally during the last couple of days the assets loaded a bit slowly, causing icons and various other things to take a while to look right. It is possible you saw some glitchy stuff if that happened... not sure though.

3 minutes ago, Thrik said:

Do you have a screenshot of this? I've not been able to see it myself (in Chrome or Safari in desktop or mobile size).

I have noticed that occasionally during the last couple of days the assets loaded a bit slowly, causing icons and various other things to take a while to look right. It is possible you saw some glitchy stuff if that happened... not sure though.

I think it was probably that, the scroll bar on that pane didn't load and therefore it was really wide and had a scroll bar for the entire page instead.

I'm going to do some optimisation work soon as some of the images on the home page could definitely be better compressed for their size. That should speed things up so we have less problems like this, although once cached things should be fairly snappy anyway.

2 hours ago, text_fish said:

Can we please re-enable(? - I'm pretty sure it used to exist?) the requirement for new users to post in the introduction thread before they have posting privileges in the rest of the forum?

@Thrik

A good idea as long as new users aren't confused, perhaps a prompt can be provided.

We didn't have this requirement before, but we did have it configured that someone needed to post once in any existing thread before being allowed to create their own thread.

This was removed recently because I had feedback that it might be putting new members off of getting involved and/or confusing them. Typically if someone signs up it might be because they want to share something they've been working on — that is our niche — and also it led to a low level of people getting in touch asking why they aren't allowed to post

Personally I'd rather people be able to dive in and get involved without arbitrary limitations, but am curious why you feel it'd be beneficial? If it relates to certain forums getting junk then perhaps we could implement a more precise restriction. For example, if we're worried about spammy threads in the creative forums we could make it so people's first threads have to be moderated (at cost of extra staff monitoring).

The main reason I suggested it is because recently a couple of bots got through whatever anti-bot measures you have in place. Mods did a characteristically good job deleting a spammy thread I saw, but this post necroed a legit thread over the weekend and it's clearly just a bot C&P'ing an earlier comment with a dodgy link hidden in it. It's harder for mods to keep track of this kind of bot.

It's not a life & death issue obviously and if your experience of a similar system is that it scared new users off I guess it's probably best avoided.

Ah right, yeah it's a fair shout. I have noticed a small increase in bots getting through since recently reviewing the anti-spam measures, one of which was switching to Google's fairly effective reCAPTCHA service. It's always a balancing act not making it too easy for bots or too hard for new members — and the fact that a lot of bots get signed up by real people for peanuts money makes it harder.

I'd say we stick with it for now, however it's always appreciated when spam is brought to our attention through hitting the report button. People who contribute in this way may additionally be considered for helping moderate if they're interested. If it does get too much we can look at tightening things up further. It's worth noting that the forum actively rejects loads of bots so it's doing its job fairly well, but like junk mail you always get some come through.

Yeah always had a problem with quotes and always forgot to report.

Minor layout thing: as you can see in the picture, if text is too short, the layout of the suggested articles at bottom page fucks up on mobile; i guess it’s a missing clearfix element.

E1006599-C5D2-4F35-B117-8553BD5E0AF5.png.62f1f7572e86e4cafe5d689bd083ff22.png

This topic has been unpinned!(?) I had to search for it.

Also have Sprony’s articles been taken down? This one seemed the more appropriate place to post a behind the scenes video and is not even available to read?

E20499CA-A387-405E-A63F-E7E6D4A713F3.png.9e36d9d5e61b5be5e6a145500538b9ba.png

would be a shame if we lost all his content :(

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

This topic has been unpinned!(?) I had to search for it.

Also have Sprony’s articles been taken down? This one seemed the more appropriate place to post a behind the scenes video and is not even available to read?

E20499CA-A387-405E-A63F-E7E6D4A713F3.png.9e36d9d5e61b5be5e6a145500538b9ba.png

would be a shame if we lost all his content :(

Yes it is (down and a shame) but it was Sprony's wish.