R-C-MAN

Areaportals Hint and Skip

I've been mapping about a couple years and I'm always learning when it comes to hammer but lately I've made a large map(probably too large) and hit the entity limit. When I do a sv_cheats 1 and mat_wireframe 3 I don't see very much. Someone said that the error I am getting "ED_Alloc: no free edicts" is because too much is being drawn. I'm a noob at this what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

RC

It's not about too many thing to be drawn but just too many entities. I'm not very aware about this error but if you are using too many times a certain type of entities, you will have this. (ex : dynamic light instead of static ones)

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit

As other people have said there's too much entities in your map. As far as I'm concerned this has little to do with the renderer, areaportals or hints.

The most probable cause is a particle volume which creates way too many particles. This can be a func_smokevolume, func_precipitation, func_dustmotes, env_bubbles, env_smokestack, etc. These are older entities, nowadays you should use an info_particle_system instead.

Or you copied and pasted the same physic props a thousands times, who knows. Don't do that.

inb4 secret stockpile of physics melons

I can confirm that too many melons will cause this error. While I thought the max amount was 2^11, I found it to be closer to 1950. While that amount is possible it does not run very stable, however 1922 runs rather smooth. Here is a vmf if you wish to blast down hundreds melons, also there is a little possible prank included. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2111mujoehwv90j/Melon_Test.vmf?dl=0

P.S I will be checking all future playtest submissions for similar pranks.   

Edited by MaanMan

Thank you for all your input, I do have some screen shots but I have cleaned up many of the issues which were just from lack of experience. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone I really appreciate the feedback. The very first map I made was called HurtLocker, looking back now it was crap but as I've learned I've made it better. The latest update to it I added landmines and C4 caches to it and it's a lot of fun, really pushed source engine to it's limit sometimes. Well on December 24 someone told me they made a montage to it because they enjoyed playing it and he did an amazing job showing it off. I hope you enjoy it, I know I did. Here is the link to the video and screen shot of Miransh(WIP)

R-C-MAN

Screen Shot of Miransh

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/686026610307071342/B671A03D80CCBFB5BE293712F0BB2CBA9C76D98C/

and

My live stream with community manager and voice actor from Insurgency Mikee showing a very early version of Miransh