Fix Your Parents' Mindset - Why Games Are Important?

aswilam

Hey guys,

Most people [ especially parents :) ] consider playing games a waste of time. The next time when your parents tell you stop playing games and go to study, show them this video:

I hope it will change their minds :)

Well, if someone is doing bad at school, , then I think it is time to stop playing and study first. Learning social skills, to work in a team and so one is nice, but in the end a college degree is the first step in getting a good job. 

I wasted my high school time in gaming and got shit grades. I still got into a nice school but it doesn't work out that way for most people. If you are doing good in school and you parents tell you to go study instead, then fine, I can understand that you would want to play instead. But unless you have really good grades, then studying should be the number one priority. I don't think that most people in high school understand that they are shaping the rest of their lives right there and then. 

I guess most people just thinks that life goes on no matter what they do. So why devout yourself to anything? Sadly it doesn't work like that, most people live a life were they wasted every opportunity and they justify it by pure bullshit. Like building teamwork. 

I get upset because I have been a lazy student for many many years. I never had parents that told me to go study, they just let me game all day. 

Haven't seen the video, but if the excuse for gaming is teamwork and social skills… that's ridiculous.

Like, what better place to get social skills of not in school dealing with REAL people? Working together toward the same goal? Learning that in real life in a team there will be always the parasite trying to delegate or not doing their job. Real world is not a Seal team where everybody has each other's back; if anything the best game for real social behaviour would be the multiplayer of Kane & Lynch 2 where everybody tries to back stab you.

Being autist also help for spacial awareness :)

I think i'm part autistic as well :)

I got tested for dyslexia when I was 13 or something and I had do to a lot of tests among with a group of other people from the school that where expected to have dyslexia. One of tests was for spatial awareness and I was done with it crazy fast. I gave it to the one giving the tests and he was really surprised I was done so quick. Later when they had the results back I heard I was by the 2% or 1% (can't remember) of the best from the people in the Netherlands that did the spacial awareness test. I think mapping at that age also helped a lot on the test :)

Now I wonder if it was 1%, how many questions there where, and what question(s) i had wrong. 

question-everything.jpg

In my own personal experience, the best way to encourage my parents to support what I was doing mapping-wise was to earn some money. If you're just playing games and have no intention of making it a career, then earning money elsewhere might be a good sign that you still have your life on track. 

It's probably important to remember that parents (typically) just want the best for you, so they look for signs that you're doing alright.

I think i'm part autistic as well :)

I got tested for dyslexia when I was 13 or something and I had do to a lot of tests among with a group of other people from the school that where expected to have dyslexia. One of tests was for spatial awareness and I was done with it crazy fast. I gave it to the one giving the tests and he was really surprised I was done so quick. Later when they had the results back I heard I was by the 2% or 1% (can't remember) of the best from the people in the Netherlands that did the spacial awareness test. I think mapping at that age also helped a lot on the test :)

Now I wonder if it was 1%, how many questions there where, and what question(s) i had wrong. 

question-everything.jpg

we all are to some extent (don't get me started on that I have a report on that matter for next week :p)

But kudos to you, that's something! I have scored on the top 0.1 percent of the population on another test, thus I know how special it is, you can be proud :)

@FMPONE , you're right, but earning money is also equivalent to succeeding academically for parents, it's for them the sign you will end up doing something with your life, which will allow you to live happily :)

In my own personal experience, the best way to encourage my parents to support what I was doing mapping-wise was to earn some money. If you're just playing games and have no intention of making it a career, then earning money elsewhere might be a good sign that you still have your life on track. 

It's probably important to remember that parents (typically) just want the best for you, so they look for signs that you're doing alright.

My parents never really believed I would get anywhere in game dev and discouraged me in several ways, so proving them wrong is one of my motivations for trying.

My parents never really cared about what i did on my PC, it was hard to explain them that when i'm map-making i'm not playing a video game. And even today they don't really care about it, maybe if i did money from it they would have, probably.

On the other side, they supported me with my studies, they don't know either how easy/complicated it is but they support it because they know it's going to get me a job. So fmpone's and laminutederire's ideas apply well on my case.