jackophant

Want Help Building / Upgrading a PC?

@jackophant Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers(?) Not sure how it is these days, with monitors having sound in them + I have headphones and what not. Let's see, nothing under 22 inches I guess, 1080p is good enough for me, don't need a refresh rate above 60 tbh. Thanks a lot!

edit: Also the equipment doesn't have to necessarily be tied to the budget for the PC, could give this about 1000-2000 KR (117$ to 234$) not sure if that is enough.

Edited by Vorontsov

Sorry for late reply!

When the monitors go to sleep, is the computer on? I would have suggested maybe it being the monitor, but if both are doing it perhaps it's the graphics card? To rule out the monitor/gpu situation, you can plug a monitor directly into your motherboard display output and see if the same occurs.

Yeah good starting point, it really depends on if you are more game orientated than compiling?

For instance a CPU like the i5 4690K will be fantastic for games and will churn through your compiles/renders compared to your "slavtop", but as an i7 is out of your budget you might want the extra cores from a cheaper AMD cpu which isn't anywhere near as good for gaming, especially on a CPU biased game CSGO.

Yeah the computer is on and i've tried it with the motherboard graphics and it does the same thing only sometimes.  I recently got a new power supply because my old 380W one couldn't handle my system. I am pretty sure the hard drive is to blame now, i've owned that "Western Digital Dell" drive for around 3 years now. I had Windows 7 on it then I upgraded to Windows 10 just to get the message of my computer, I hated Windows 10 because I kept getting errors with my taskbar where it wouldn't respond. So I reverted it back to Windows 7 and that drive has had a lot of things installed and uninstalled. It currently holds all of my games (around 450Gb of them) and all of my softwares. I'm not sure which SSD to get but I should be able to get one in the range of around £50-70

Thanks for responding :v

I have loads of system issues, i'm gonna reboot my computer (didn't do it in 3 years) to clean and have a fresh start. 

Is it safe to go on Windows 10 now? 

Define safe? If you have lots of Windows sensitive programs it might require a bit more research, but I've been running Win10 across multiple machines since before/after official release and I've had no issues at all.

Hi  everyone , I wanted to get advices for a PC monitor. I want a not too expensive monitor for work and to play with as well. Budget is less than 200 euros. Two things I really want are something good to limit eye strain, and a well uilt monitor which could last a few years at least 3-4 years. On the size front, I thought 22 to 25 inches should be enough.

The best monitor I found so far is that one:

manufacturer infos

retailer (in french but that gives the price etc)

what would you think about such a choice?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm thinking of getting a new gpu because I'm afraid I won't be able to run some newer titles at more than 30 fps.

current specs:

i5-3570k @ 3.40GHz, 8.0 GB ram, GTX 560 Ti

not sure wat do, any tips? :)

You've got a K model cpu so that can be overclocked if you have a Z type chipset and sufficient cooling. It would give you a little more power.

RAM is fine, but you'd probably want to upgrade your GPU. Nvidia are about to release their next generation cards which are set to be a huge improvement so I would hold off until they do that, regardless of whether you go AMD or nvidia.

8 hours ago, Squad said:

@jackophantDo you offer help with smartphones too by any chance? :D

I'm not an expert and I just stick to iPhones cause they just work and they're a walled garden etc etc etc. However, my buddy got a OnePlus 3 and it seems both cheap, stylish and well-designed. Just something to maybe consider.

15 hours ago, Squad said:

@jackophantDo you offer help with smartphones too by any chance? :D

I've been running the Sony Xperia XA for a few months now, the screen is 5 inches which is about right (massive compared to my last phone which was only 4.4). It runs Android Marshmallow 6 which is the most recent I think. I've tried it with the latest games it's pretty good but the GPS and VR are not that great. It does get rather hot after alot of use but not sun-level stuff.

4 hours ago, jackophant said:

What do you need to know? :)

Never bought one before, so I'm a bit of a dummy on the whole matter.

Basically, what I'm looking for is an Iphone SE 64 GB, but from a brand that doesn't let you pay a shitload extra money because it has a certain fruit logo on it.

I wanted to go for the Samsung Galaxy S mini instead, but apparantly they don't make (and sell) these anymore. So I'm wondering if there is an alternative to it.

Basic requirements:

- not a phablet (screensize not bigger than around 5")

- more than 16 GB storage

- additional storage with SD cards (depends on the former requirement though)

- relatively powerfull (I tend to keep open a lot of apps/webpages/etc at once)

- decent main camera (not interested in a selfie-camera)

- GPS

- something that is a bit sturdy (optional, since I plan to buy a shockproof case/screen protector anyway).

I think that's it in a nutshell :)

8 hours ago, Puddy said:

I'm not an expert and I just stick to iPhones cause they just work and they're a walled garden etc etc etc. However, my buddy got a OnePlus 3 and it seems both cheap, stylish and well-designed. Just something to maybe consider.

58 minutes ago, rosk said:

I've been running the Sony Xperia XA for a few months now, the screen is 5 inches which is about right (massive compared to my last phone which was only 4.4). It runs Android Marshmallow 6 which is the most recent I think. I've tried it with the latest games it's pretty good but the GPS and VR are not that great. It does get rather hot after alot of use but not sun-level stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them.