[N]awbie

[WIP] de_mical (formerly de_honeycomb)

De_Mical

Terrorists are having a bad day and they want to blow something up. Unfortunately Counter-Terrorists are there to make their day even worse.

Workshop:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=744250583

20160703005911_1.jpg

20160703011318_1.jpg

Edited by [N]awbie

Minor gripe with setting, why do the CTs have nerve gas? They're illegal and they wouldn't be really Terrorists if they're destroying it (with debatable consequences, but in an isolated facility?).

What's the relevance of the honeycomb name?

Layout needs to be simplified. Ts have almost 2 of the same route towards A so you can remove one. You have so many rooms and connectors it's hard to keep count.

If something is inside, nodraw the roof so radar screenshots can see what's inside.

You haven't sufficiently documented the map either. A few more screenshots would be nice to get a sense of scale that looks off from the overview.

What are your timings like right now?

Minor gripe with setting, why do the CTs have nerve gas? They're illegal and they wouldn't be really Terrorists if they're destroying it (with debatable consequences, but in an isolated facility?).

I came up with the story just yesterday so I really haven't thought it out. Ignore it for now. :D

What's the relevance of the honeycomb name?

The facility is called Honeycomb Industries. Might change the name if I can come up with something better, but I'll do for now.

Layout needs to be simplified. Ts have almost 2 of the same route towards A so you can remove one. You have so many rooms and connectors it's hard to keep count.

I agree. The version that I'm showcasing here is the first version for playtesting. I really can't do anything about the layout before I know how the current one plays out. I'll update it as I get feedback from testing.

If something is inside, nodraw the roof so radar screenshots can see what's inside.

True that, my bad.

What are your timings like right now?

CT->Sniper nest = 6-7s
CT->B = 8-9s

CT->A = 9-10s

T->window = 6s (orange)
T->B = 16-18s (red)
T->A (short) = 13s (green)
T->A (long) = 13-15s (yellow)
T->B (connector) = 19-20s (purple)
T-> A (connector) = 19-20s (blue)
a_map_011b_radar2.thumb.jpg.27b3542c7a0b

I'm aware that the timings need some work.
1. CT's should be able to get to the nest before T's can see them, but at the moment that's not the case.
2. Also the A long should be a bit longer as It's quite as fast as short.
3. B could be a bit closer so rushing there would be faster

Edited by [N]awbie

CT->Sniper nest = 6-7s
CT->B = 8-9s

CT->A = 9-10s

T->window = 6s (orange)
T->B = 16-18s (red)
T->A (short) = 13s (green)
T->A (long) = 13-15s (yellow)
T->B (connector) = 19-20s (purple)
T-> A (connector) = 19-20s (blue)

I'm aware that the timings need some work.
1. CT's should be able to get to the nest before T's can see them, but at the moment that's not the case.
2. Also the A long should be a bit longer as It's quite as fast as short.
3. B could be a bit closer so rushing there would be faster

Have you compared these times to official maps?

First thing that screams at me is that the CT rotation time through CT spawn would be 8-9s PLUS 9-10s leaving us with 17-19s rotation time. For MM that's half the bomb timer gone pretty much, and for proper competitive around 15s to clear the site and defuse the bomb.

Some of those T times are aggravatingly long. I can't check right now, but the B rush on D2 is about 8-10s for reference.

A looks to have about 5 entrances into it which makes it exceptionally hard to hold, and B has 6! I realise some of those are splits from other routes, but generally if you can't smoke it off with one smoke grenade, it's not one entrance.

If you want the help, could I request you get a nice clear overview (you'll need it for the radar anyway :P ) of your current routes/paths that I can sketch over to suggest an improved layout?

Have you compared these times to official maps?

With some older version I did, but then I got carried away with other things and haven't done it with this version.

A looks to have about 5 entrances into it which makes it exceptionally hard to hold, and B has 6! I realise some of those are splits from other routes, but generally if you can't smoke it off with one smoke grenade, it's not one entrance.

In fact B has 5 entrances too. One of the two entrances for T's is blocked by door props, but of course they're not visible as I took the radar with r_drawstaticprops 0. I agree with you tho and I'm working on the issue.

If you want the help, could I request you get a nice clear overview (you'll need it for the radar anyway :P ) of your current routes/paths that I can sketch over to suggest an improved layout?

Sure thing, help is always good! Add me on Steam and I'll provide one for you. (Steam nick: mike5726)

In fact B has 5 entrances too. One of the two entrances for T's is blocked by door props, but of course they're not visible as I took the radar with r_drawstaticprops 0. I agree with you tho and I'm working on the issue.

Does that mean that the T's are not able to get into the site at all due to the doors, or can they open them up? The reason I ask is that dead ends are generally bad for flow so I'd try to avoid them when possible. 

Does that mean that the T's are not able to get into the site at all due to the doors, or can they open them up? The reason I ask is that dead ends are generally bad for flow so I'd try to avoid them when possible. 

No. There used to be two entries right next to each other, but I decided to block the other as seen on the picture below. T's are still able to go to the site through the other doorway or through the balcony.

2015-09-22_00001.jpg

Edited by [N]awbie

Anyway already yesterday I came up with a storyline that addresses the discrepancy.

CTs have taken over a Terrorist compound where the group was getting ready for their next attack with a dangerous nerve gas.

Now they have to defend it from the counter-attack: Ts have decided to blow up the canisters on-site, as the favourable weather conditions will direct the poisonous cloud straight into the town situated not far.

PS: I like the setting, as it is reminds me of the Kanals ;)

Edited by blackdog

Looking amazing. Hard to comment on individual things without a run around myself but I love the more irregular geometry. Something I really love with overpass is the number of combinations for smokes and boosts ( When they don't ruin majors) which looks like something this map could have. It is hard to tell 100% from pictures but mid seems maybe a little too steep, may just be the angle though. can't wait for workshop upload.