[CS:GO] Incursion (formerly 'de_docks')

MinorThreat

I've been working on a bomb scenario map that is set at a dock. I think it's reached a point where it would be a good idea to playtest it before I go any further. Before I do that, I was wondering if anybody could provide any feedback on what I have made so far.

Here's the link to the Workshop file:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=518771182

...And here's some screenshots:

2015-09-15_00005.jpg

2015-09-15_00006.jpg

2015-09-15_00007.jpg

2015-09-15_00008.jpg

2015-09-15_00009.jpg

2015-09-15_00010.jpg

2015-09-15_00011.jpg

2015-09-15_00012.jpg

2015-09-15_00013.jpg

2015-09-15_00014.jpg

2015-09-15_00015.jpg

2015-09-15_00016.jpg

2015-09-15_00017.jpg

2015-09-15_00018.jpg

2015-09-15_00019.jpg

Cover Pic.jpg

Overview 2.jpg

Just had a run around with some bots. I like the exterior areas (with the exception of behind the trains, which you could stand to lose completely IMHO) but the interior feels overly complex, with far too many winding routes through which you can catch a glimpse of the enemy but may never see them again. I think think you need to get some directional decals up and clean up sightlines in the area Vaya just posted, then it will definitely benefit from a playtest.

2015-09-15_00015.thumb.jpg.4142b8e8b593a

This shelving will lead to bitty/frustrating gun battles if it's in an area of conflict. Suggest filling the middle of it with plywood so players can't see through?

At the moment I've just placed crates to block the sight line through to the other section of the warehouse. I was intending to fill the shelves to make it more of a solid wall. Maybe I should do that before submitting it for playtesting. Thanks for your feedback!

Just had a run around with some bots. I like the exterior areas (with the exception of behind the trains, which you could stand to lose completely IMHO) but the interior feels overly complex, with far too many winding routes through which you can catch a glimpse of the enemy but may never see them again. I think think you need to get some directional decals up and clean up sightlines in the area Vaya just posted, then it will definitely benefit from a playtest.

Thanks for the feedback! I had a feeling that the area behind the trains might be a contentious one. Having said that, I would like to at least try and make it work if possible. I had envisioned the whole side area as being the scene of a tactical stand-off of sorts, but perhaps the extra passage will ultimately prove to be a bit too much. Could you elaborate on what you mean about the complex interior? Which area are you referring to? Am I right in thinking that directional decals are ones which signpost the bombsites?

Could you elaborate on what you mean about the complex interior? Which area are you referring to? Am I right in thinking that directional decals are ones which signpost the bombsites?

I mean pretty much the whole interior, to be honest. See red highlight below:

minorthread_de_docks_anotated.png

As a T you can't push any of the bottlenecks without constantly worrying that you're about to be flanked, because there are so many passages and corners to check all the time. It's fine to have some element of fear if there's sufficient reward at the end, but the player at least has to feel like they can anticipate likely maneuvers, strats, rotates etc. so that they can form a coherent plan of attack. If I were you I would turn most of these corridors in to one large atrium with plenty of cover, so at least players can push in one direction and use nades to close off certain threats from a distance.

Oh and I forgot to say, I hope the name de_docks is temporary because it's second only to de_warehouse in boringosity. :P

I mean pretty much the whole interior, to be honest. See red highlight below:

minorthread_de_docks_anotated.png

As a T you can't push any of the bottlenecks without constantly worrying that you're about to be flanked, because there are so many passages and corners to check all the time. It's fine to have some element of fear if there's sufficient reward at the end, but the player at least has to feel like they can anticipate likely maneuvers, strats, rotates etc. so that they can form a coherent plan of attack. If I were you I would turn most of these corridors in to one large atrium with plenty of cover, so at least players can push in one direction and use nades to close off certain threats from a distance.

Oh and I forgot to say, I hope the name de_docks is temporary because it's second only to de_warehouse in boringosity. :P

I count only two bottlenecks within the area you've highlighted (I've marked them in orange). I can't really see what you mean about the problems with being flanked and corner-checking. I'm not sure how clear it is on the picture, but the choke point marked with the small orange circle is a ladder up to the room with the window (in case you didn't know). Were you suggesting that the blue, green, or yellow area becomes one large atrium? As for the name, it is temporary, just struggling to think of anything at the moment that isn't generic and hasn't already been taken.

Overview 3.jpg

Edited by MinorThreat
Punctuation

By bottleneck, I just mean any area where a player can expect to come across an enemy if both players are rushing, so this includes any corner or doorway within pretty much the top two thirds of the overview image.

I think it would be worth playing around with turning the blue or yellow area in to a large atrium.

Maybe once you've settled on a storyline (i.e. what's getting blown up?) a better name will follow. :)

By bottleneck, I just mean any area where a player can expect to come across an enemy if both players are rushing, so this includes any corner or doorway within pretty much the top two thirds of the overview image.

I think it would be worth playing around with turning the blue or yellow area in to a large atrium.

Maybe once you've settled on a storyline (i.e. what's getting blown up?) a better name will follow. :)

Okay. To be honest, I might see if I can get it playtested first before I make any major changes to the layout.

As for the name, I think the bomb target's gonna be either munitions or nuclear waste, so maybe I'll come up with something along those lines.

When you downloaded the map form the workshop did it run properly with all the custom models and textures? I made sure to pack the bsp with all the things I had made and it came in at about 40mb. I've just checked on the workshop now and it is less than 9mb... :???:

Edited by MinorThreat

Oh yeah, a playtest is always wise!

Yep, the models downloaded fine. They're all grey, but I'm assuming they're supposed to be at the moment. I didn't notice any custom textures TBH, but also no checkerboard or black surfaces so they must be in there somewhere.

Yeah, just some temporary textures at the moment. There are a couple of custom textures in there- one of them is the main ramp at the CT spawn. Thanks for letting me know.

I noticed you're trying to make those plastic flaps for some doorways!
I'm also trying to make those. First I used brushes, which work very well but look very ugly, then a model with jiggly bones but getting collision to work so they actually move out of the way of the player seems impossible.

Do you have any idea how you will pursue those flaps? Or will you just have them in a static way so that don't move when walking through them?

Edited by Tyker

I noticed you're trying to make those plastic flaps for some doorways!
I'm also trying to make those. First I used brushes, which work very well but look very ugly, then a model with jiggly bones but getting collision to work so they actually move out of the way of the player seems impossible.

Do you have any idea how you will pursue those flaps? Or will you just have them in a static way so that don't move when walking through them?

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the flaps to be honest. I'm not the most skilled modeller/texture artist, and to make ones with those kinds physics properties is a bit ambitious for me I think.

Personally I think I would model the flaps with an opening, as if they'd been temporarily pinned back in some fashion.

That sounds like a good solution. It would a save doing a lot of complex stuff that I know nothing about!