JamieGamez

de_victorian

In the northern town of Woldsdale a group of activists attempt to demolish a preserved area of important listed buildings as a political statement. Only the SAS can stop them...

Many thanks to BehindTheCookie, ˙·٠•ArcusMagicus•٠·˙, twisterzz, Improbable, Mattyrl30, jack1047, ScranENG, JustMalachy and BritishNinja for playtesting this map and suggesting improvements.

This is my first completed map, having started using hammer about 4 weeks ago. It was built by growing from middle and then expanding elsewhere. I decided on the theme once I had completed the layout and tweaked the way that the map plays.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500769298

Below are screenshots of my map:

de_victorian_radar.thumb.png.8a6ff74be02

2015-08-31_00012.thumb.jpg.6a6529918beff2015-08-31_00013.thumb.jpg.a46f3be08da782015-08-31_00014.thumb.jpg.0487d7f48c0c82015-08-31_00015.thumb.jpg.311282e546c8f2015-08-31_00016.thumb.jpg.44c26ab6d55792015-08-31_00017.thumb.jpg.f20ae2cf460302015-08-31_00018.thumb.jpg.f6e7c9a11ed5b2015-08-31_00020.thumb.jpg.78343f0b4044e2015-08-31_00021.thumb.jpg.11a99200aed8c2015-08-31_00022.thumb.jpg.9002ea2c6c9d62015-08-31_00024.thumb.jpg.864e4c2fe601b2015-08-31_00026.thumb.jpg.796ed2ef5d43b2015-08-31_00027.thumb.jpg.02a61d3275ce1

Edited by JamieGamez

That  road looks unrealistically bumpy, not even the stone age man would build so sloppy, and isn't the gate in picture 3 way too far up, looks like you could just walk under it if they where to close it. 

Regarding the HARZ sign, companies usually put big signs like that towards the highway or something, not in a yard where you could easily see a sign 1/4 of that size. It doesn't feel very realistic. 

And you missed the most important screenshot, the overlay. :) 

Right now. Nothing much to say.

Displacements look like you took a piece of paper and just wiped your ass off with it. Ruff said. (Needs to be smoothened)

Walls damn. Texture scale has gone way too wrong for some buildings. 

For me theme seems like: industrial complex in living appartments. With italy themed windows. I would believe it if  t's were cooking meth there.

"This is my first completed map"

I understand that JamieGamez ain't too much skilled with hammer editor. But this is nowhere finished/complete (whatever) map to submit for contest.

Maybe i was too harsh.

Edited by Tensei

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm tempted to move the harz sign onto the map so that it is visible from most of the map. Gonna fine tune the displacements on the road and lower the gate.

That is a good idea. :)

And remember, hard work beats talent, and it is damn true when it comes to hammer. 

Edited by Bodd Jonar

Inspired by dust2 aren't you?

i do like some ideas and i know there are some limits which you have with the editor but i highly recommend you to use references for buildings, heights etc.

It kinda looks like my very first map ..it rememberes me of de_inferno from 1.6 (not an insult). You should watch some tutorials to

learn more possibilities of the engine/editor, i recommend you 3kliksphilip and TopHATTWaffle and don't rush your maps..

if you want to build something and you don't know what or how to do it just google it.

That's my Opinion but i think that the sites are too open.. 

I would add some more props or anything that will close the sites a little bit.

Couldn't agree more. I need to change the way I build and prepare sites in future to avoid this.

Gonna be watching more of 3kliksphilips tutorials before I start my next map to give me more tools to work with.

Edited by JamieGamez

Couldn't agree more. I need to change the way I build and prepare sites in future to avoid this.

Gonna be watching more of 3kliksphilips tutorials before I start my next map to give me more tools to work with.

i suggest you to watch topHattwaffle's tutorials and listen with every map that you build, you learn something new.

My first map had good layout but bad design, on my secound map. I had bad layout but good design. And i always learn something new. I'm sure that your next map is going to be great

Edited by Kochi

If your map compiles very long, there's propably something wrong in the map itself that makes it take long time. Something that needs to be func_detail or very open areas that have multiple height differences and such. Especially if vvis part (the first one) takes long, it could be a sign from it.

If your map compiles very long, there's propably something wrong in the map itself that makes it take long time. Something that needs to be func_detail or very open areas that have multiple height differences and such. Especially if vvis part (the first one) takes long, it could be a sign from it.

Didn't properly know about func_detail until 5 hours into compile. Just done it in 45 mins! XD