Sign in to follow this  
Single

de_neutron

[Some useful stuff, some totally dumb]

I can't tell if you're trolling with the "floaters" or not. :zoidberg: That stuff exists in every game and it really doesn't matter if player isn't seeing the gap in normal play. Also, some physics props could be floating because the physics-collision is larger than the actual model.

Wow, so much feedback! Thanks to everyone! Now, getting into it all:

The map looks really good so far, but you definitely do another clipping pass.

I made a little video with some feedback.

More important tho, did you fix this issue?

(Note: I tried to remove the youtube video from the quote above, but I wasn't able to? EDIT: So, it glitched out, and THEN I could delete it. I don't know. Also, the quote in Fnuggi's post is not present in the quote above. Issues with the new forum software?)

Haha, clearly I didn't make it as Fnuggi-proof as I should have. I was aware of lot's of these boosts, but based on the Reddit playtest, and my own playtests, I haven't really seen anybody exploit them/show them to be OP. But you taught me about quite a few that I want to remove, simply for being gamebreaking. The boost at the end tho, thats absolutely insane. I'm so impressed with yours and everyones creativity in absolutely breaking the map!

With the windows above the rolling doors, I was happy with them being accessible, but lots of people on the Steam Workshop are saying they should be blocked out/made inaccessible. What do you guys think?

It looks pretty cool with the simple and minimalistic style, but I just feel the bombsites look really boring and empty. They could use some more detail and geometry (that doesn't have to affect gameplay actually) to spice things up. For example, the platform at A seems like very basic geometry, no edges or trims. B-site's platform-to-ground transition is super simple too. The crates/boxes could have some other angles than 90 degrees to make it bit less "gamey". I know it might be realistic this way, but I guess it's a game so it could have stuff that makes it interesting looking even if it's not 100% accurate.

Yeah, a whole heap of the map is on the 90-degree map. I hadn't really noticed it until you've pointed it out to me, but I think you're right, I can 'spice' up some areas of the map by rotating things a bit. Thanks for the tip!

When i look at the screenshots i always miss some contrast colour above headlevel. It looks too depressing atm. With some small orange/blue/green/yellow/(pink) textures you could create some interesting visuals in your level. Also the lighting looks like 50 shades of grey. Some spicey colourful spotlights could really make a difference.

I have totally no problem with clean looking maps. But it needs to look a bit more interesting imho.

€ Look at my PS skills, my PS skills are amazing!

[cut images]

Have you considered using colors for player guidance? Here's a suggestion of what you could do (could be another color off course, I just picked something).

Also, I would add reflections to all the windows. Will make them look a lot better, as well as the overall area.

Other than that, this is coming together very nicely! Keep it up :)

[cut image]

Yeah, I had been working towards making the concrete areas of the map a bit more colourful, but I wanted to avoid using too many colours in an area. Looking at the feedback that other people get here a lot is that areas should have a simple 1/2/3 colour scheme, with sparing use of contrasting colours for highlights. Looking at my scenes, I was trying to be conservative with my use of bright colours, so as to keep the aesthetic fairly simple. THAT SAID, some of the highlights you guys drew on I think would make great additions, so I'll definitely add some of them in the next patch. Thanks a lot guys!

Hidden Content

Wow, this is so thorough! This must have taken forever to do, so I'm very grateful that you went through and found all this.

• The first few screenshots are very useful, so thankyou for pointing those out to me.
  • With the nav mesh issues, I wasn't particularly worried about the bots jumping the fence, because in my bot playtesting, when they try and jump the fence, they end up screwing around for ages, and end up walking around anyway. Given this, I deleted all the fence tops, and all the ramp-sides, to force the bots to take the long way around, because ultimately the long way around is shorter.
  • All of these bomb-stuck places are terrific, thankyou! Were all of these bombs put there under normal conditions, i.e., without using noclip, and in only a couple of attempts? If so, then I have a lot of work to do, and thankyou.. If players need to cheat, or spend a lot of time perfecting the throw, then I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.
  • With the floaters, lots of the prop_physics_multiplayer's are floating because if they are just 1 unit closer to the ground, shooting them makes wonky physics, where they sometimes disappear into the world. I tried to move things around so that the player wouldn't ever see this gap under normal playing conditions, but I'll have a closer look at the map to see if I can fix any of these!

Also, since the map is so clean looking I think you could make the top of the map a little more interesting and visually busy

lil photoshop 

[image clips]

I know it's kinda dumb to put electric towers on rooftops, but it's just an idea.

Not dumb at all! You reminded me that this was part of my initial vision. I used my university as a visual reference, and almost every rooftop on the campus is littered with smoke stacks, telecommunications equipment, or other greebles. This idea ties in well with Exodus's point that  there isn't much visual interested above eye level, so this is definitely something I'm going to investigate.

No, indeed. But there are other possibilities:

[image clip]

Terrific! Now I don't need to ride to uni to get reference images! Thanks pal!

Once again, thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts about Neutron. Looking over these comments, I feel more inspired to open up the SDK again. This is good for Neutron, but bad for my honours program!

I'll start working on a patch when I get some free time, which will hopefully be before the competition deadline!

Edited by Single
Removed the giant gaping hole were the Youtube video was.

Were all of these bombs put there under normal conditions, i.e., without using noclip, and in only a couple of attempts? If so, then I have a lot of work to do, and thankyou.. If players need to cheat, or spend a lot of time perfecting the throw, then I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.

Players can get lucky, so you may as well fix them all just to avoid displeased csgolounge users. Didn't use noclip.

Edited by onebit

Hey there,

absolutely love the map! I just love it! Found a weird bug on bombsite A (between the two barrels and the crate) - it's probz the same as on de_dust2 (on B).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjCdy-1MZY

I recorded the bug - hope you can fix it!

- Gap

hahaha The music makes it even better!

Hey there,

absolutely love the map! I just love it! Found a weird bug on bombsite A (between the two barrels and the crate) - it's probz the same as on de_dust2 (on B).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQjCdy-1MZY

I recorded the bug - hope you can fix it!

- Gap

Oh man I've always dreamed about bugs like this, thanks for the tip!

Wow, shouldn't make too many videos, but it's kind of fun. Might come up with a video containing more bugs than one. Here's some graphical glitch. You better limit height above the truck so people can't jump too high...

-Gap

Edited by Gap

de_neutron version 1.1 is here! A whole heap of visual updates and bug fixes!

Here are some screenshots of the updated areas. Lots of areas received little or no updating, so I didn't upload them here.

ycWq0j6.jpg

u3MdcWs.jpg

wZfRdt0.jpg

ZHR2izD.jpg

bklMWx5.jpg

tkmR4JU.jpg

naYpaGa.jpg

IdR8fPq.jpg

S3lg1G8.jpg

cbtfkEd.jpg

KXNFRdF.jpg

Here are the change notes!

##########CHANGE LOG############

## de_neutron ver 1.1 change log ##

# NEW AND IMPROVED
- Redid the tops of the buildings around mid. Textured most of the surfaces, and added a selection of antennas, cables, and air conditioner units. Huge thanks to Squad and tomm from Mapcore.org for the inspiration.
- Completely rebuilt the 3D skybox. Is now larger, and uses a better texture.
- Improved the roofs around B site, with antennas, air conditioners, vents, etc.
- Rotated the double stack on A-site, and added some fallen cables.
- Put in an (inaccessible) room above cafeteria.
- Added a few more machines and cables around A-site, for prettiness.
- Rebuilt the entrance into A site from lockers for terrorists, also added pipes, cables, vents etc.
- Put in a few more props around B site, and modified the ones that are already there.
- Laid some carpet around lockers and heaven, to break up the concrete.
- Put a bit more colour around mid, particularly around mid connector.
- Prettied up the courtyard with some lights on the awning to the canteen.
- Moved a door from T-to-atrium, and added some more carpeting to the floor.
- Put in some lights above doorways between areas, to improve pathing.
- Built a few pipes and vents around vending/servers.
- Added a few more pipes, vents and greebles around lockers and radio.
- Put in some cute relaxing cafe music, to compliment your cappuccino.
- Added a set of spectator cameras.
- Put in some more cubemaps around mid to improve window reflections.
- Modified the soundscape around lockers/radio, added more sounds, changed those that were there.
- Added a few extra vents and pipes around CT spawn.
- Tweaked some texturing around B site and in atrium, to break up some vertical lines.
- Added a few sneaky easter eggs.

# BUG AND EXPLOIT FIXES
- The entire map has had a massive clip/noclip pass. Many thanks go out to Fnuggi and OneBit of the Mapcore.org community, as well as Phartona on the Steam Workshop, for pointing out most of these exploits.
- Fixed a number of floating, or otherwise misaligned props. Thanks again to OneBit!
- Textured the roof of the garage near B site.
- Fixed some brushwork in atrium to avoid seeing culled faces.
- The metal door at the back of hut should now show metal decals when shot.
- Fixed an overly loud pipe in lockers.
- Increased the reflectivity ($envmaptint) of all the black square windows.
- Fixed the phong on the laptop model.
- Properly aligned the plywood sign at A site.
- Fixed a glitching pipe in construction.
- Removed some vents in construction. They were just too difficult.
- Fixed reflectivity on the unbreakable glass texture.
- Removed an erroneous baseboard prop in T spawn.
- Fixed up some fade distances, for optimisaiton.
- Added another areaportal between CT-to-A and A-site.
- Fixed some cubemap faces around long hall, and in cafeteria.
- Did some minor prop and texture optimisations across the map.

I'll edit these screenshots into the OP. Providing there aren't any major bugs, this version of the map will constitute my competition entry.

It's still uploading, but here is a link to the map on the Steam Workshop, if you haven't played the map yet: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485441486