Sign in to follow this  
Badstomach

[CSGO] Is it fine to make a map based on real place?

I'm planning to make a new hostage map set in this building

image.thumb.jpg.53d854a029e10e8e15162e3bSamsung Headquarter(Samsung Town) In Seoul, South Korea

And I'm gonna make the exact same copy of this building(surroundings too, i hope)

It would be a pain in my ass but what I'm wondering is if is it fine to make a exact same copy of real place(you know, copyright problem, etc...)

Of course I'm gonna change the logos but that's gonna be the only thing I'll change 

Will it affect submitting this map for next operation?

Aaand sorry for my bad English (yeah I'm a Korean :))

Edited by Badstomach

I remember once a guy who created a bomb map set in a Montreal's metro station. The city ordered him to stop his project or at least to delete the metro station part of his map.
Another example i have is a guy who created a mall from my city (Rennes in France), named "colombia"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgU-XZHN-4
I think they asked him to stop it but i'm not sure (he never finished it)

Sometimes it can be problematic, I wouldn't copy/paste an irl place if i were you, i would make it a "strong inspiration" but that's all.
Don't know about valve's opinion for csgo operation.

I remember once a guy who created a bomb map set in a Montreal's metro station. The city ordered him to stop his project or at least to delete the metro station part of his map.
Another example i have is a guy who created a mall from my city (Rennes in France), named "colombia"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgU-XZHN-4
I think they asked him to stop it but i'm not sure (he never finished it)

Sometimes it can be problematic, I wouldn't copy/paste an irl place if i were you, i would make it a "strong inspiration" but that's all.
Don't know about valve's opinion for csgo operation.

Wow, Thank you for specific examples

by the way, judging by the first case, changing brand name and logos will works

or maybe not

from valve's wiki:

Planning

Don't touch Hammer! Instead, start with pen and paper. It's much more difficult to change the fundamental layout of a map once you start adding detail.

For Counter-Strike maps, consider:

• Most real-life locations involve repetition and large open spaces with few features; they would make terrible game levels.
  • Meeting points, where the two teams see each other for the first time. Careful spawn placement and timing is the foundation of great maps like de_dust2.
  • Bomb sites, defensive positions and sniper nests. How would players from either team approach a certain area? How close is the bomb site to a meeting point?
  • Performance, how efficiently will the map run on a computer? Vast football-stadium maps will typically fare poorly, while closed spaces with lots of twists will perform well but suffer in gameplay.

----

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/How_To_Develop_A_Map_That_Works

most operation maps use real life locations for themeing and as a point of reference. I

Never design the map layout by real locations

• As Valve says, regular building layouts make dull gameplay overall
  • It can set off those who own or work in the buildings, safety concerns and everything

Although designing appearance from a real life reference can help to make your map look more real and more appealing.