laerth

[WIP] de_slate (withdrawn)

I think he does not keep geometry on the grid, which is probably an obligation as soon as you create something not square-ish. At least that's what I understood when he said he was keeping it off the grid geometry (in his first post).

I'm pretty sure he meant that his layout is non-square and more organic when he said that, but you need your stuff to sort of be on grid still in Hammer - otherwise how are you going to put in func_details and props? Hence my question how he does it!

I'm pretty sure he meant that his layout is non-square and more organic when he said that, but you need your stuff to sort of be on grid still in Hammer - otherwise how are you going to put in func_details and props? Hence my question how he does it!

why couldn't he tie off the grid geometry to func_detail ?  He just have to select brushes and here you go. I do this all the time, and there is absolutely no issues with that excepting for the compiling time which is a little bit higher, a matter of a few seconds.

For props he can explain you his technique for placing them correctly but it will probably involve placing them on the 1 unit grid then adjusting off the grid. I'll let him answer that one though.

why couldn't he tie off the grid geometry to func_detail ?  He just have to select brushes and here you go. I do this all the time, and there is absolutely no issues with that excepting for the compiling time which is a little bit higher, a matter of a few seconds.

For props he can explain you his technique for placing them correctly but it will probably involve placing them on the 1 unit grid then adjusting off the grid. I'll let him answer that one though.

I wasn't talking about issues with tying off-grid brushes to func_details, I meant placing the brushes properly in the first place. Here's what I mean:

OBlvLB3.jpg

Imagine the top brush in both cases is a world brush. The first is on-grid and so it's easy to add a little extrusion detail brush to it. But the second version is not on-grid and it becomes impossible to properly/cleanly place the same detail brush.

I was asking how the maker of de_slate achieves this. I mentioned func_instances because you can use them to create off-grid 'prefabs' on-grid and then rotate them off-grid in the final map.

Edited by NihiL

The whitebox is a little sloppy at the moment for iteration's sake, but I do try to make most angled brushes conform to grid ratios as much as possible, such as 1:1; 1:2, 1:3, 2:3 etc. One example is the stairway at T spawn:

slate_grid.thumb.jpg.e9a6b6be5dd1196ccea

Ah okay, you're going for the whole ratio thing. I'll be very interested to see if/how that works for you when it comes to detailing as I've had bad experiences even if you stick to 1:2, 1:3 ratios etc with detailing and prop placements. Good luck!