jd40

[WIP] de_abyss

Things I picked up on playing them map.

1. Why is the Terrorist part of the minimap so big? Most of it will not be used in 90% of all games. It makes the minimap more confusing, as none of the objectives are in that area, even though it's the largest, and your eye focuses on it right away. it would make more sense if the big starting area were on the counter-terrorist side of the map. 

2. The color scheme, most of this map, is really white. as most walls and the sky is white. So if you added some Red/blue colors on the map, for example. it would really give the level some life. you have some light blues going on in some areas, maybe you could try and enhance that, and make the sky slightly orange-ish.

Out of the three times I've playtested this map, tonight was the first that FPS issues didn't make me ragequit. I still had to reduce some settings quite a way to get even close to the FPS I get on most complete maps, but it's a huge improvement regardless.

I identified two small optimizations you could make, all the same:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347801472/FBD6E7DC7859B979C4527CEBB52A189514AE16B1/

The pipe above could be reduced to simple cylinder with a bumpmap on for the ribs.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347809344/2238E7E9477535BF7EDEB2E5DA794B813B6B88CB/

The grates above could be swapped for textures instead of props.

Both of the props above look great closeup, but 90% of the time players won't be examining them in any detail, and 99.99% of the time, anybody who does look at them won't care if they're simple.

Lastly, you have a stray nodraw texture that CT's can use to watch one of the bombsite A entrances:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347804807/2E035209DA5A414665E84EC8A16821FCE99AFB92/

Out of the three times I've playtested this map, tonight was the first that FPS issues didn't make me ragequit. I still had to reduce some settings quite a way to get even close to the FPS I get on most complete maps, but it's a huge improvement regardless.

I identified two small optimizations you could make, all the same:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347801472/FBD6E7DC7859B979C4527CEBB52A189514AE16B1/

The pipe above could be reduced to simple cylinder with a bumpmap on for the ribs.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347809344/2238E7E9477535BF7EDEB2E5DA794B813B6B88CB/

The grates above could be swapped for textures instead of props.

Both of the props above look great closeup, but 90% of the time players won't be examining them in any detail, and 99.99% of the time, anybody who does look at them won't care if they're simple.

Lastly, you have a stray nodraw texture that CT's can use to watch one of the bombsite A entrances:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1456139678347804807/2E035209DA5A414665E84EC8A16821FCE99AFB92/

Thanks for pointing these out. But I get pretty similar fps compared to official maps.

There are some hint/skips I could have done better in mid but my fps stays above 200. Except on A. Something's up with A and it's not those pipes. I think it might be the models under the bombsite.

But I get pretty similar fps compared to official maps.

If you're building this map for your own personal use, then that's just fab. Otherwise, I would seriously consider making those changes. CS:GO attracts players running on a very broad range of hardware, so you need to cater for the low-end players, and those weirdo's who choose to turn all their settings down super low to gain a few extra FPS.

I agree with @text_fish on the fact that you have to be careful that some of us have way worse computers than you do. But I don't know if it is the windows 10 update which boosts my performances a bit, but I actually had a slightly better fps overall than on most official maps, so there is definitely some progress on that part, all the more so impressive since you increased quite nicely the level of details. Details felt a bit noisy, and I'd suggest that you use more colors for player guidance and cover silhouettes, to increase readability.

About the layout I prefer the sniper nest as it is right now, it was a good change. That aside I don't have much to complain :)

I get somewhat the same fps are regular maps, it's just that it seems to drop in places making it incredibly frustrating to play due to the input lag induced by decreases in fps.

I made a video of some of the areas my fps was dropping.

I have no idea what's going on in some of those places. They have areaportals :S

Thanks a lot for making this, should make optimization much easier! Also apparently bomb block creates visleafs.

Edited by Symix

So i know you guys are talking about optimisation but i hope i'm not the only one bothered with those windows outside.I mean compared to the rest of the map they look really ugly.Those blocky brushes around the window models.Can you make the windows look better?

So i know you guys are talking about optimisation but i hope i'm not the only one bothered with those windows outside.I mean compared to the rest of the map they look really ugly.Those blocky brushes around the window models.Can you make the windows look better?

It's not just the windows, the whole main building is ugly. I'll see what I can do.

Here's a reference picture I used btw

QtBHdNT.jpg

It might help If I just add some trim around the edges.

Edited by Symix

One incredibly minuscule thing (really the only fix I saw) outside next to the white van and truck: 1JAciNO.jpg

Really loved the detail and aesthetic in this map though, lots of areas that were just great to look at and I believe there is a lot of potential for interesting tactics throughout the map as well. I especially like the verticality at B and throughout the map. Good luck!