Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

Horizon Zero Dawn

Last weekend I was waiting for my movie to start so I went to look at some TV's in a store nearby to kill the time. Because this game really wants to make me get a Pro and a 4K TV so I figured it wouldn't hurt to do some research. Then I saw a 65 Inch 4K OLED TV with Horizon on it and now I'm trying to sell my car.

Don't get me started... everytime I look at those badass 4k TV's, my mind's like:
7524jhl.gif

I'm gonna wait tho, right now HDR is actually more important than 4k. I've had the pleasure of seeing Horizon running with HDR on during last year's PSX and holy shit man, it's gorgeous. Everybody's talking about 4k like it's the second coming, but it's just more pixels there's nothing special about it; HDR on the other hand is absolutely phenomenal.

I'll wait till there's a TV out there that can do 4k, HDR and a decent enough refresh rate for games, meanwhile my 5 year old 65" plasma still impresses me to this day.

19 hours ago, (HP) said:

Don't get me started... everytime I look at those badass 4k TV's, my mind's like:
7524jhl.gif

I'm gonna wait tho, right now HDR is actually more important than 4k. I've had the pleasure of seeing Horizon running with HDR on during last year's PSX and holy shit man, it's gorgeous. Everybody's talking about 4k like it's the second coming, but it's just more pixels there's nothing special about it; HDR on the other hand is absolutely phenomenal.

I'll wait till there's a TV out there that can do 4k, HDR and a decent enough refresh rate for games, meanwhile my 5 year old 65" plasma still impresses me to this day.

Dude, what I saw, also had HDR.......wanna buy a car?

I'm playing on a 27" samsung monitor...not 4k.  Cheap $200 monitor.  Game still looks great.  More importantly it's fun!  Cut scenes are a bit over acted and long...but you can skip them or speed through the dialog moments if you enable and read subtitles and still get the info.  Very glad for that.

Otherwise I'm getting very into this.

So today the $20 DLC single player expansion The Frozen Wilds released.  I preordered the DLC for $15 on PSN.   This might be the first DLC I have purchased in ...years?  I bought this DLC because Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my personal GOTY for 2017, minor flaws and all.  I'm only 1 hour in but given the size of the new zone in the game and estimated hours of story to play through, I felt fine with spending some money. Plus, because this is not a cheap ass loot box system I have no problem spending money on quality content that developers worked hard to create.  

Anyway, bravo, Guerrilla games.  I hope some of my $15 makes it into your pockets.

5 hours ago, [HP] said:

I've still to finish the main quest of the main game, I'm probably around 70% in, so many good games around man!

I see you playing the new Wolfenstein game on PS4 while I'm playing HZD.  Seems W:NC has a pretty kick ass campaign from what I hear.

12 hours ago, Izuno said:

I see you playing the new Wolfenstein game on PS4 while I'm playing HZD.  Seems W:NC has a pretty kick ass campaign from what I hear.

Yeah, I'm currently playing through Mario and Wolfenstein 2! Both absolutely fantastic video games!

To stay on topic tho, look at this!!! :D

Played more HZD:TFW last night and now am really loving it.  So at this point if you liked HZD I strongly recommend TFW.  There are new enemies and new "things" that make gameplay not simply more of the same.

Edited by Izuno
Grammar police have issued you a ticket.

How do you feel guys that this is one of the games brought to example in this article "games look bad: hdr and tone mapping" https://ventspace.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/games-look-bad-part-1-hdr-and-tone-mapping/

Can't remember if I found the link on HP's twitter :D

I like that video above where the character even looks at the tracks she's following... would make more sense if the animal wasn't in sight but still cool. 

Edited by blackdog