Sign in to follow this  
Sprony

The Last Guardian

It looks great but I just can't muster the excitement after waiting for it since... 2007? It doesn't even look like it's progressed much from the footage we saw before, making me think the project must have been on ice for years while the developers did other things, or maybe it was done with a skeleton staff. Very strange.

Undoubtedly it will delight though, even if it's already starting to show its age. Hopefully that won't put people off of trying what will probably be quite an emotionally stirring journey.

It looks great but I just can't muster the excitement after waiting for it since... 2007? It doesn't even look like it's progressed much from the footage we saw before, making me think the project must have been on ice for years while the developers did other things, or maybe it was done with a skeleton staff. Very strange.

Undoubtedly it will delight though, even if it's already starting to show its age. Hopefully that won't put people off of trying what will probably be quite an emotionally stirring journey.

tumblr_lmm8k4t6571qii6tmo1_250.gif

The Last Guardian review.

The worst moments are sometimes the greatest moments. For 20 minutes last Wednesday I stood by an expanse of cold water, in an ancient hall that had become home to a vast, lapping pool, and I tried to get my companion, a three-storey motley of house cat, pigeon, and other assorted wildlife, to dive to the bottom, battling the swift waters that I couldn't face, and taking me along for the ride. For 20 minutes my companion would not do as I asked. You know that part in a game where you understand what you have to get to happen to solve a puzzle, but you can't make the puzzle pieces behave? I was stuck inside that part - except, while those parts are traditionally maddening, this time it was anything but.

Genuinely: it was fascinating to watch the face, the body language, the shifting Baba Yaga chicken feet of that beast I was travelling with as it struggled to understand what I was asking of it - and then struggled to decide if it was in the mood to help anyway. This wasn't an instance in which the game was too clumsy to bring its pieces to bear effectively. It was something else entirely, something much rarer. It was an instance in which I had to try to properly engage with another creature, as wilful, playful, and easily distracted as I am. Commands came together with body language, orders with their interpretation, and the true puzzle didn't lie at the bottom of the pool, because it was right up on the surface all along. The true puzzle was: what is this animal thinking?

Actually, it was probably more like 30 minutes.

They're labeling it Essential. I was worried after all the critique on the E3 demo, but now....

trr.gif

Holy fucking shit seeing Trico moving around the environment is one of the most fascinating things I've seen in a video game, the fucking thing seems real.

The controls feel atrocious at first but you get used to it.

Game is incredibly imersive, you have to play this to be able to at the very least understand why it took 10 years to make.

1 hour ago, (HP) said:

Holy fucking shit seeing Trico moving around the environment is one of the most fascinating things I've seen in a video game, the fucking thing seems real.

The controls feel atrocious at first but you get used to it.

Game is incredibly imersive, you have to play this to be able to at the very least understand why it took 10 years to make.

Image result for hnng

ps4... soon...

played about 3 hours, just got to a nice outdoor area and framerate dropped to 10. fuck off if it looks anywhere near good enough to warrant 10fps.

i really want to know WHY it's so shitty overall, because there's not a whole lot going on, it just looks like they aren't using any LODs or occlusion, and that's just fucking retarded.

it looks nice, in terms of art direction, but not in terms of actual graphical quality; except for Trico who looks and behaves great.

it's an interesting feeling being in the world with an AI that doesn't do what you want it to, or takes 5 minutes to do what you know it should be doing, or accidentally climbing the inside of it's leg instead of moving up the hind quarters, or trying to control the flaccid abortion that is the camera, even just trying to move about in the world trying not to bump into every fucking pebble.

there's a million things wrong with this piece of shit and everyone involved should be fucking ashamed it took 9 years to shit out such a broken steaming turd; but i can't seem to stop playing it.

I finished it yesterday and it's truly a work of art. Sure, controls are iffy, the camera gets in the way and the framerate suffers but none of it really matters. Because for the first time ever, they've managed to create an AI that feels like a real animal. I grew up with a lot of cats and Trico behaves exactly the same. The amount of detail that went into this is astonishing. He feels alive and because of that, you forge a bond that I've not experienced in a game before.