Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beck

Shenmue 3

Recommended Posts

So this has got a bit of hate online for the character models and I can see where they are coming from. Shenmue was never great with character models and animations but I guess after 15+ years and with new tech people expect more these days.

I'm still looking forward to it though. I'm sure Yu Suzuki can pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beck said:

So this has got a bit of hate online for the character models and I can see where they are coming from. Shenmue was never great with character models and animations but I guess after 15+ years and with new tech people expect more these days.

I'm still looking forward to it though. I'm sure Yu Suzuki can pull it off.

That dude with the ponytail looks like he had one too many facelifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sprony said:

That dude with the ponytail looks like he had one too many facelifts.

Haha he does! Shenmue always had weird characters like Dou Niu and Chai though so he doesn't seem too weird in the game story.

Apparently there aren't any facial animations in the trailer since they took them out according to Kotaku which is probably my biggest gripe:

http://kotaku.com/yu-suzuki-explains-shenmue-iiis-stiff-facial-expression-1798337053?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda weird they put out a trailer where characters have no face rig/animation, in a game all about expression and story. I know it'll come later, it just, feels weird. Probably pressure from publisher to put *something* out.

I find the game to be way too contrasty, it's a really busy read right now, I hope they smooth it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm yeah, putting out a trailer with characters interacting without any facial animations isn't exactly a great decision, even if they are facing pressure from backers/their publisher, then this will hardly make it any better :)

Does make me wanna go back and try the old games, Shenmue 1 absolutely rocked my world back when it came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mazy said:

Does make me wanna go back and try the old games, Shenmue 1 absolutely rocked my world back when it came out.

I did about a year ago, I got a Dreamcast off of ebay and a few games. (Games are also dirt cheap, or.. erm, free even)

Anyway, played about an hour of Shenmue (1)  Had a laugh at the fact that you can open every cupboard, and grab every glass or plate inside... completely forgot about that. This in the late 90's, you can really see where the budget went, lol. Also interesting that the NPC's have lives and jobs, when you need to visit someone's home, he/she might be out for the day so you need to wait for right time.

It has a lot of tiny little details that are really ahead of it's time, but man, you really need to have a lot of patience and time on your hands to play this now, specially once your character gets a job as a forklift operator, oh gawd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, [HP] said:

I did about a year ago, I got a Dreamcast off of ebay and a few games. (Games are also dirt cheap, or.. erm, free even)

Anyway, played about an hour of Shenmue (1)  Had a laugh at the fact that you can open every cupboard, and grab every glass or plate inside... completely forgot about that. This in the late 90's, you can really see where the budget went, lol. Also interesting that the NPC's have lives and jobs, when you need to visit someone's home, he/she might be out for the day so you need to wait for right time.

It has a lot of tiny little details that are really ahead of it's time, but man, you really need to have a lot of patience and time on your hands to play this now, specially once your character gets a job as a forklift operator, oh gawd.

Hah yeah. I still have my Dreamcast from back then, I think I tried hooking it up around probably 10 years ago and played probably 2-3 hours of it (just enough to get down the village)

The entire daily cycle for the NPCs and forcing the player to be at spots at the correct time was still really impressive, kinda wish more games had those kind of elements today, but yeah I doubt I would've reacted as positively to Shenmue 1 today as I did back then (because man it moves slooow :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×