Sign in to follow this  
FMPONE

Final Fantasy 7 Remake AKA I'm Buying a Ps4

It's funny, I don't know about you guys, but It's so god damn obvious when in some games, you can tell the team behind poured their hearts and souls into it. Your human instinct can absolutely tell, and you can tell the people behind this seriously cared about the original game's legacy. Just as much as the guys that made RE2 Remake.

Picked up my copy today, it’s too good. Gonna be GOTY for me I’m sure. Absolutely LOVE finding entirely new gear, bosses etc. Must buy/10.

Yeah I'm about 6 hours in and having a blast with this, I just want to play more!

It's way more "anime" than the original now they've got the budget and modern day effects to pull it off, there's lot of people doing crazy moves, but it's a Japanese RPG so I can overlook that. Midgar is absolutely gorgeous and I love exploring it. Running around the slums and looking up at the plates above really helps sell the scale of the place.

Get it!

Aight half-way or so in, here’s my honest opinion.

Things I really like: excellent combat and excellent sound design. This is where the remake really flexes on the original. The original story beats are re-imagined in a great way. Monster design is great. The game looks good and runs great on an old ps4.

Things I don’t like: the world building is OK.  I don’t buy the slums at all. All the NPC’s look upper middle class. The whole place looks gentrified rather than oppressed. Super weird. It’s like the NPC’s were ported from FF15. I think they should’ve gone hard on the 90’s punk aesthetic instead, and way less cheerful.

The new content and story beats are inconsistent in quality. Sometimes they feel like typical anime (big emphasis here) filler episodes, which I would enjoy even less if this wasn’t FF7. Cloud even complains about it being boring, making the game appear self-aware. Weird design decision..

Assets and texel density are WILDLY inconsistent in quality. Looks rushed in some areas.

There’s still hope for the remaining new content to blow me away, but I don’t see my other points changing.

I feel like an 8/10 is justified.

11 hours ago, grapen said:

Assets and texel density are WILDLY inconsistent in quality. Looks rushed in some areas.

Sounds like every other Final Fantasy :D 

I'm really tempted to get this, especially for the art, but I won't have time to play it :( 

Been playing it for a while and agree with the points above. I think it is a streaming issue on vanilla ps4 that is causing the texel density being all over the place. And yeah all the NPC's in the slums looks like something they bought in an asset pack or something, looks like actors from a mid-budget tv-show hehe. The music is excellent though, hooks you right in

I'm a little bummed about this game, as someone who hasn't played it yet. They took a game that was already at maximum capacity "anime to cool" limit ratio, and took it into toxic anime levels.

You never go full anime.