Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, El Moroes said:

With a lot of rings of fire around the players, of course !

As long as the soundtrack that goes with it is by Johnny Cash it's all good :hurg2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Radu said:

Fucking valve

To be honest though, it looks too out of place in the HL world, feels over complicated in terms of story… layers upon layers to give a resemblance of substance.

It would be cool to revisit Ravenholm, maybe Valve or a partner can tell the story of the fall of the town, or just some other story set between the time of HL:A and HL2. I can see it being very interesting to play in VR, with all the interactivity of the traps, using throwables…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I can see it being very interesting to play in VR, with all the interactivity of the traps, using throwables…

VR is the perfect medium for immersive sim games like System Shock and Thief. I wish I had the skill to actually put games like that together, oh well. I am confident that systemic games are the future of VR for the next 5 years. HLA is already filled with systems, the developers just choose to focus on linear levels and puzzles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blackdog said:

To be honest though, it looks too out of place in the HL world, feels over complicated in terms of story… layers upon layers to give a resemblance of substance.

It would be cool to revisit Ravenholm, maybe Valve or a partner can tell the story of the fall of the town, or just some other story set between the time of HL:A and HL2. I can see it being very interesting to play in VR, with all the interactivity of the traps, using throwables…

I think the part that looks out of place are the headcrabless zombies, but that could have been easily fixed with new headcrab types. It's a shame because Half-Life has always been a game about interacting and overcoming the environments using the tools at your disposal. A more systemic game would have been the next logical step up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Radu said:

I think the part that looks out of place are the headcrabless zombies, but that could have been easily fixed with new headcrab types. It's a shame because Half-Life has always been a game about interacting and overcoming the environments using the tools at your disposal. A more systemic game would have been the next logical step up.

I would love a more open systemic HL game, the premise of this was legit, you could make it kinda sandbox as well.

But the weapon selection for example is very weird: how would it be at the player’s disposal considering Grigori just uses a shotgun, why would he research or stash  special and better weapons and not use them?

The plot twist of Grigori mutating (and becoming the boss to get rid of) I saw it coming as soon as they showed he was injecting alien fluids… I think it would have been bad to make his fate finale from a narrative standpoint.

The monkeys make absolutely no sense considering there’s no fauna in HL. It makes me think of the crazy scientist in South Park and that Simpsons’ episode where Burns has flying monkeys.

Children’s traces is a bit sketchy as was completely removed from HL2 (and it’s explained why), so needed to be treated carefully/explained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 9:11 PM, blackdog said:

I would love a more open systemic HL game, the premise of this was legit, you could make it kinda sandbox as well.

But the weapon selection for example is very weird: how would it be at the player’s disposal considering Grigori just uses a shotgun, why would he research or stash  special and better weapons and not use them?

The plot twist of Grigori mutating (and becoming the boss to get rid of) I saw it coming as soon as they showed he was injecting alien fluids… I think it would have been bad to make his fate finale from a narrative standpoint.

The monkeys make absolutely no sense considering there’s no fauna in HL. It makes me think of the crazy scientist in South Park and that Simpsons’ episode where Burns has flying monkeys.

Children’s traces is a bit sketchy as was completely removed from HL2 (and it’s explained why), so needed to be treated carefully/explained.

Grigori was always about traps even though he had a shotgun, do you remember ravenholm?

No fauna? There are literally birds in the first 5 mins of HL2, when you open the train station door pigeons fly off.

 

Edited by Vilham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vilham said:

Grigori was always about traps even though he had a shotgun, do you remember ravenholm?

No fauna? There are literally birds in the first 5 mins of HL2, when you open the train station door pigeons fly off.

Yeah, birds are basically the only thing there is. Not even rats. How you justify something so peculiar as monkeys when there’s nothing else around? And I’m not simply taking about a zoo, but why would all animals die except these.

Also I’m not talking about traps, I was referring to the magnet gun and all the other crazy inventor stuff like the leaf-blower to double jump. Why would Grigori build or have something so effective available and not use it?? We are also talking about a priest… you can sell me on a priest being very good at shooting and surviving, but he’s also the next Tesla-level guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why aren't more HEV suits being produced to give the resistance fighters an edge in battles? Why is only Gordon using the gravity gun if it has such a wide creative usage in combat? My point is that some items are there and only available to the player because they're fun. Yes, it would make more sense to see those being used by the other NPCs, it would establish more consistency of behavior, but it's a not a must. 

And it was supposed to be a spin off, something not as serious - think of The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned for Borderlands.

Edited by Radu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Radu said:

Why aren't more HEV suits being produced to give the resistance fighters an edge in battles? Why is only Gordon using the gravity gun if it has such a wide creative usage in combat? My point is that some items are there and only available to the player because they're fun. Yes, it would make more sense to see those being used by the other NPCs, it would establish more consistency of behavior, but it's a not a must. 

And it was supposed to be a spin off, something not as serious - think of The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned for Borderlands.

It is explained, at least in part.

The Gravity Gun is a tool not a weapon, you accidentally get to hold on to it because of the combine attack. It is also very logical to imagine they don't have the resources to mass produce it anyway. Seemingly I'd imagine that the Resistance doesn't have the resources to make more suits, they could also be very well made to custom fit the operator.

Of course the "cool stuff" will almost always available only to the player, but is a matter of how you present things that make it immersive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...