Sign in to follow this  
kinggambit

[WIP] De_Dynasty

I went mid once, and I found it entirely by accident. It had a couple of CTs ducked behind a balcony which was being shot through. I left and went straight back to B iirc. As Vaya said (in a personal chat), you should probably ask yourself why no one went mid.

While 10v10 playtests do not foster the best gaming experience, I found the map difficult to navigate. The constant CTs going A and no one really on mid is probably testament to that. Cts have to run towards A and then hook off suddenly to mid, if they don't they're all in A, or they could go B.

This isn't Dust2 go towards B to be in mid which is quite open. On your map you have to really find mid that's the problem, and I don't think it's obvious enough.

I don't find the layout believable because exactly what I said before...

but to clarify, this is meant to be a house, and a few gardens and it currently feels more like a cave system the way it's looping back on itself and cross over and winding around but you've just applied a korean theme to it retrospectively. I generally associate what you're doing more with japanese than korean architecture, but I don't know enough about the cultures to comment with any authority.

The textures being TF2ish is a separate matter, and imo it's because of the flat colours being used. They feel like they're missing a layer of grime or texture to make them feel rough and more realistic.

I agree the flow isn't the best for CT's who are new to the map (like mirage's mid window for CT's where most casual players will just run straight past the vent). I already made some changes when I noticed this during the first half. Some people said B needed another route which is why I added in the mid to B route and I'm hoping I can keep it in some form.

My mistake, I thought you were saying the props and whatnot for the building were unbelievable/random, not the layout. I agree with that but I also think so long as I bolster the aesthetics (i.e. those "caves" are going to be "ondols" which are cellars used for central heating buildings. Youre right though, I'll probably open up some areas to be outside.

@kinggambit Thanks for the 2 screenshots with grey textures. I think it's quite obvious, and i'm pretty sure that everyone would prefer the look and readability of your map with grey textures, it looks much better.
So the problem is basically about your textures, you must standardize them. Keep in mind that when you do your textures, it's how you're supposed to see them with a bright white lighting, and your textures are probably too dark therefore the lighting can't affect them at all since it's already almost black. It's not just about increasing the brightness of your materials, you really must standardize them and if you really have to use a dark material somewhere, don't use it on big plane areas, add some contrast.

And maybe you can increase the brightness of your lights, even with grey textures it's true that it's still quite dark.

I hope that when you visited your map with the mat_dragray command, you realised the potential your map has and that you're lighting appears to be much better.

@kinggambit Thanks for the 2 screenshots with grey textures. I think it's quite obvious, and i'm pretty sure that everyone would prefer the look and readability of your map with grey textures, it looks much better.
So the problem is basically about your textures, you must standardize them. Keep in mind that when you do your textures, it's how you're supposed to see them with a bright white lighting, and your textures are probably too dark therefore the lighting can't affect them at all since it's already almost black. It's not just about increasing the brightness of your materials, you really must standardize them and if you really have to use a dark material somewhere, don't use it on big plane areas, add some contrast.

And maybe you can increase the brightness of your lights, even with grey textures it's true that it's still quite dark.

I hope that when you visited your map with the mat_dragray command, you realised the potential your map has and that you're lighting appears to be much better.

Thanks for the feedback. Never knew about mat_drawgray! Seems really helpful. I'll start increasing the lighting around the map using that method.

Sorry, can you clarify a bit on "standardizing textures"? Standardizing = Lighter/more consistent materials?

I think I know what you mean though:

ux5J68L.jpg

Oh also, right now, I've just tried to keep the walls light and the ceilings/floor dark. Is that a bad way to approach the contrast? i.e. the image below, I've tried to keep the lighter colors in the walls and floor while just leaving the dark wood material at the top. Is the dark wood ceiling too much?

vUTW9GD.jpg

Edited by kinggambit

Sorry for bad English but It doesn't looks like Korean Palace

It's more like something from japan and your reference pictures are also looks like Japan

The differences between them are miner and you don't have to change if you don't mind but I hope you know Asians are likely to distinguish them and feel bad about the misused theme (not me though)

Edited by Badstomach

Sorry for bad English but It doesn't looks like Korean Palace

It's more like something from japan and your reference pictures are also looks like Japan

The differences between them are miner and you don't have to change if you don't mind but I hope you know Asians are likely to distinguish them and feel bad about the misused theme (not me though)

My first art pass I heavily referenced Gyeongbok and Changdeok but they have very noisy and strong color palletes, round pillars, etc. which weren't as conducive for Counter-strike:

gyeongbokgung-147-2.jpg

400482_645747459772_2103947_33739088_214

so I am currently trying out more of the korean buddhist temples and hanoks like namsangul with the white plaster + gold/brown wood:

d48c72e6be0e1db16cc48766e1613b81.jpg

However, thanks for the honest input. I'm looking at some buddhist temples in japan and you're right! I'm designing a palace so I should probably use the palaces as references. I will definitely focus more during my next art pass to get the architecture and colors down to suit the korean feel! :D I'll try again to add the reds and greens more and touch up on the facades.

Edited by kinggambit

My first art pass I heavily referenced Gyeongbok and Changdeok but they have very noisy and strong color palletes, round pillars, etc. which weren't as conducive for Counter-strike:

gyeongbokgung-147-2.jpg

400482_645747459772_2103947_33739088_214

so I am currently trying out more of the korean buddhist temples and hanoks like namsangul with the white plaster + gold/brown wood:

d48c72e6be0e1db16cc48766e1613b81.jpg

However, thanks for the honest input. I'm looking at some buddhist temples in japan and you're right! I'm designing a palace so I should probably use the palaces as references. I will definitely focus more during my next art pass to get the architecture and colors down to suit the korean feel! :D I'll try again to add the reds and greens more and touch up on the facades.

great! I hope you find the way!

One last bump post-contest deadline. 

There were a lot of assets I wanted to (re)make and more polishing, but there just wasn't enough time for the contest deadline. I'm still working on making an operation-quality (hopefully) map though, so any criticisms and suggestions would still be appreciated.

One dilemma in particular is whether I should keep the environment clean or make it a bit more grungy. I liked maps like agency and workout so I'm hoping I can pull off a similar clean simplistic style if possible.

Hmm, I feel like you've got a lot of really cool complex geometry but your lighting doesn't highlight any of it, so everything feels 2-dimensional. I think the map absolutely works with the clean style and a gray rainy day, and it's got a weirdly soothing color palette. At the same time though I can't help but feel it doesn't look as good as it could with some more contrast.

I think you probably struck the best compromise in that underground furnace area. The furnaces are bright enough to provide a focus, but not so bright they destroy the relaxed vibe.

Nice work!