jakuza

de_royal (previously de_street)

I don't know if this tutorial is made by you but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SHEJcStEc Your map has no callouts. I Know it's not a big thing but it's hard to know where people are when your calls are left, right, there, up. Also the birds are annoying. I always think they are flashbangs or something. Maybe it's just me

Edited by P1g3oN

Hey!

So gameplay wise I have very little in the way of criticism. Map played extremely well. I'm going to write up some aesthetic critiques here because I think the map needs more help in that department.

feedback album

http://imgur.com/NAZRmCy,wrOcdpS,0qOM7ji,E9ep8a4,a8a5Cyo,sgQs3Fv,JEGmJfz,oPekiTk,TAvWeUc,i61PTG4,qnMvj1O,6XKijc6,ti702Do,kXOQsj1,MuGw9tf,UGQOQtG,5AvwEmw,euVUeay,5gTRGAT#0

***on 18 I meant bottom RIGHT, not bottom left

Lets start with that I really like this map, i playtested it yesterday, the layout seems interesting, but in terms of gameplay i find the layout a bit untweaked...

I know taht now is too late to make any layout changes, but i will post my criticism anyway :)

There are too many pathways to A site and there also too many cornes to hide, if CTs/Ts are well setup, it is really hard to re/take the bombsite. So I would simplify the corridors behind A to be more easily checked by the other team.

The second thing i would do to simplify the map is moving the CT spawn behind A. It has many benefits. Firstly, you can remove the area of current CTs spawn, but more importantly, you can straighten the connector from lower mid to A because both teams will get there at the same time like now. This connector will then aslo become more attractive during rotations B > A and vice versa. The third benefit I see is taht long A (especially the upper part) will become more used by both teams, because it won't by so far away from other parts of the map. Of course, if you move the CT spawn, you have to move the T spawn, too. I would move it as I painted in the overview (maybe a bit further to A long) - CTs and Ts would still get to B as now and because the CT spawn is closer to the long, T spawn should by pushed further, too. I don't know how much would these changes affect timings on mid, I hope that not much, but it's possible, that some changes in pathways from spawns to mid would be needed to current timing be preserved.

royal_overview.png

I don't know if this tutorial is made by you but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SHEJcStEc Your map has no callouts. I Know it's not a big thing but it's hard to know where people are when your calls are left, right, there, up. Also the birds are annoying. I always think they are flashbangs or something. Maybe it's just me

Callouts are in now, thanks.

Hey!

So gameplay wise I have very little in the way of criticism. Map played extremely well. I'm going to write up some aesthetic critiques here because I think the map needs more help in that department.

feedback album

http://imgur.com/NAZRmCy,wrOcdpS,0qOM7ji,E9ep8a4,a8a5Cyo,sgQs3Fv,JEGmJfz,oPekiTk,TAvWeUc,i61PTG4,qnMvj1O,6XKijc6,ti702Do,kXOQsj1,MuGw9tf,UGQOQtG,5AvwEmw,euVUeay,5gTRGAT#0

***on 18 I meant bottom RIGHT, not bottom left

Thanks! I see I've got my work cut out for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3eo89e8kyznxqg/royal refs.zip?dl=0

Dropbox link of 100+ references- I took these this morning and the sun/shadow wrecked a couple of them. Hopefully you find some use in these...

Thanks man. These are great, but I think I kinda shot myself in the foot setting this map in the winter...

Lets start with that I really like this map, i playtested it yesterday, the layout seems interesting, but in terms of gameplay i find the layout a bit untweaked...

I know taht now is too late to make any layout changes, but i will post my criticism anyway :)

There are too many pathways to A site and there also too many cornes to hide, if CTs/Ts are well setup, it is really hard to re/take the bombsite. So I would simplify the corridors behind A to be more easily checked by the other team.

The second thing i would do to simplify the map is moving the CT spawn behind A. It has many benefits. Firstly, you can remove the area of current CTs spawn, but more importantly, you can straighten the connector from lower mid to A because both teams will get there at the same time like now. This connector will then aslo become more attractive during rotations B > A and vice versa. The third benefit I see is taht long A (especially the upper part) will become more used by both teams, because it won't by so far away from other parts of the map. Of course, if you move the CT spawn, you have to move the T spawn, too. I would move it as I painted in the overview (maybe a bit further to A long) - CTs and Ts would still get to B as now and because the CT spawn is closer to the long, T spawn should by pushed further, too. I don't know how much would these changes affect timings on mid, I hope that not much, but it's possible, that some changes in pathways from spawns to mid would be needed to current timing be preserved.

royal_overview.png

These changes make a lot of sense. You're right, I'm too scared to change the map this much for the contest, but I will want to try these out afterwards.

Thanks! I see I've got my work cut out for me.

Thanks man. These are great, but I think I kinda shot myself in the foot setting this map in the winter...

A little, yes. Winter here isn't that harsh so that giant snow displacement at B looks a little out of place :P 

I think you can use some of these to make some areas feel more unique though..Take @FMPONE's highlighed areas of needing work..apply some more uniqueness to these using these references (I'm really surprised you don't have 1 church, there's like 100000 of them here) and the overall feeling of the map should improve

*shakes hand*

Glad to see someone adapt so quickly to a game and replicate it in a personal work (not to mention a very original idea at that). 

The layout feels really smooth, though I crossed out objects that you may consider moving to where the player is standing in the screenshot or replace the models with clean ground detail that makes the A site easy to travel in. 

Overall the geometry in the map is very original, each building seems unique and although the textures repeat the architecture is enough to where we can make distinctions between each area. 

Since the textures seem to be a very similar tone of color, with reflections only blending wall geometry into the sky it feels very saturated. Since any official deadlines aren't in place it would be worth experimenting with lighting, possibly changing the color of the sun to a more saturated orange, possibly recoloring the skybox a deeper color (maybe throwing in some purple into the blue as if it was later in the day), throwing up a few more bulbs around the city so it seems a bit more lively, turn lights on in some of the windows, take advantage of being the person responsible for making such a historic landmark in such a quiet spot a possible tourist attraction?

WarmUpLights.thumb.jpg.575f4834a81022e92

The building at A seems like a central point in the map, I think possibly putting more emphasis on the architecture of this particular building will benefit a lot of surrounding areas at once. Adding more lights around the map for visual warmth will balance the monotone color palette this map currently displays.

Mid_Castle_1.thumb.jpg.96229e9cb1ef0fcc5

A_Site_Landmark.thumb.jpg.232f05df53dd42

Random visual bugs

http://imgur.com/urJGSFt

Congrats, this map is definitely on the right track and it's good to see a map that looks and feels original, especially for a new generation of GO players who may never get a chance to experience a map like Vostok, this is absolutely an Operation worthy map.

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether Valve will incorporate changes from the workshop if it's something important like these exploits?

they did it in the past, but to be fair some of the exploits of the video aren't doable in 5v5 competitive matches, and not doable in casual because of the player collision.

also Nuke needs a lot of fixes so they can patch your map too as well with the patches I guess :)

Fix some of them also :)

Argh, I would really like to, but between VRAD still being totally broken and me not having any correspondence with Valve about this, I really don't know what to do.