de_royal (previously de_street)

Add some warm lights to guide the player and highlight key areas.

I agree with Radu. The current state of the theme gives you a lot of scope to use lighting and perhaps coloured models to guide the player and add interest.

I love how it looks as is but I believe it could be even better with some additions and alterations.

Got it. Working on that now. The shopfront models I made are colorable, but I didn't want to go too crazy on them.

you need a lot less cobblestone walls to look like edinburgh (unless you're going for the 'edinburgh 200 years ago look' :P

Thanks for the tip. I replaced the main one with bricks and it works much better.

Oh, another map in Scotland :D

Sorry about that. I honestly didn't remember Highlands until it was too late. I don't think people will confuse them anyways, since Highlands is so much better looking.

Got it. Working on that now. The shopfront models I made are colorable, but I didn't want to go too crazy on them.

Thanks for the tip. I replaced the main one with bricks and it works much better.

Sorry about that. I honestly didn't remember Highlands until it was too late. I don't think people will confuse them anyways, since Highlands is so much better looking.

let me know if you want more reference photographs for later versions of this (obvs anything I take tomorrow will probably be too late for this contest closing). I think you're onto a good thing but it feels a lot less in Scotland than De_highlands. 

I've no problem with that man ;) 

It's cool to see new levels built in new locations (other places than the usual cs maps). 

Spent a little while running around the map today and I thought I might as well make use of the time by giving a bit of feedback. You're probably already aware of some of the things I mention.

I was admittedly very tired whilst making this feedback so some of it may not be valid or make sense or...

I feel as though this route (in my crosshair) needs to be lighter and more obvious despite the stairs leading to it

PZAdIrD.jpg

Idk if you aim to make a model to replace them but these brush based handrails really stick out and don't fit with the standard of detail in your map

g7j1PVl.jpg

Just a minor thing, you can self boost to this off the blue box

XTmqNr2.jpg

Kinda weird that this is phys. It looks like you should be able to use it to jump up the ledge and it sometimes gets in the way

CljLurF.jpg

This is too shiny or something

vdhOXWn.jpg

I feel as though it would be restrictive, perhaps uncomfortable to have to hold the bomb site in positions defensive to this tiny window

90UKwxQ.jpg

I feel as though this wall may not add a whole lot in terms of game play whilst allowing for headpeaks if you crouch behind it

z3GYCrY.jpg

The sprites "emitted" by these windows are too large in my opinion. They're just kind of distracting in the way they behave and draw attention

vwLhJJr.jpg

This frame is not textured on the back meaning, looking from the other side of the window, you cannot see it

L0F1YSF.jpg

Edited by Mark C.

I kinda agree with the guy saying it looks like Dunwall, I liked all the little details, nooks and crannies through the map.
The sound design especially is nice, it add a lots to the map. However it might be a little overdone, usually CS players don't like loud noises. The seagulls, and especially the clock, are waaay too loud.

http://imgur.com/a/zhECo

• FMPONE pinned this topic

Some things I saw, which I noticed while running around, they may not be big issues :

You can stand on an nearly invisible prop part (I do not know if this is wanted):

2015-09-04_00002.thumb.jpg.9fcf25fe0aef6

The following picture is not noclipped:

2015-09-04_00003.thumb.jpg.f262234a35fac

The ledge (red dots) in mid (?) being solid (again I do not know if this is intentional):

2015-09-04_00006.thumb.jpg.942b54ca5b7c1

enabling this way:

2015-09-04_00007.thumb.jpg.39617e5767faf

Not clipped door/gate which leads to some quite strange movement:

2015-09-04_00004.thumb.jpg.622855ecae741

again not noclipped:

2015-09-04_00005.thumb.jpg.1e13d3fe44740

Those are the major problems I saw. 

Apart from those, and the already posted flower pot, I quite like the map. 

Hope my feedback helped :)

EDIT : corrected some spelling errors

Edited by Promulle

There's quite a lot of clipping issues but those will get polished up I'm assuming.

hard to make any criticisms, especially with that small 4v5 playtest, so the only thing I could find was that fence texture at B. You can see through the transparent parts of it and also see player place markers (you can also boost over onto the fence):

xBUMuea.jpg

Map played out pretty nicely but I forgot to test out T's mid to A route. Seems like mid CT's couldn't really contest that route. Other than that, couldn't find much faults other than that bar room at B being a bit clunky near the windows.

Good luck!

Edited by kinggambit

I don't know about anybody else, but whenever I see this mound of snow I'm filled with an insatiable desire to climb up it and sit on the blue hut, and my hopes are cruelly dashed by the clipping every time. Maybe you could add some spiky railings poking up through the snow?

2015-09-04_00001.thumb.jpg.2774ff81bdca9

I think that mound should be removed. Looks very out of place. There's no sign of snow on the roof..

I guess they piled all the snow there? If snow are contained like that it can take weeks to melt, so you can see big piles of snow even tho it stopped snowing weeks ago, and green grass is covering all the rest of the landscape. Seems kinda douche'y to block someones door like that tho. ):

Edited by Bodd Jonar

Thanks guys for feedback. I just updated with a clipping pass and a few changes at B.

I don't know what to do about the fence atm, I haven't seen anyone use it in-game yet. I should make it unboostable though. I probably should also do something with the snow at B, since I see a lot of people trying to jump up there, but the idea was that the snowfall on the street had been piled there. I made some blend textures to put snow on the roofs, but I haven't figured out a way to make it look good yet.

Oh yeah and the bar needs clipping work as well, true true.

• MapCore on Discord

• Our picks

• Mapcore X Prodeus Winners Announced!
      The winners of Mapcore X2 Prodeus 
      1st place: Paws [ Retail Therapy ]
      P-link: m-MC0iuUs2j6

- $1,500.00 USD 
      - One year of Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Shotgun and Gauntlets (skins)
      - Biker Gloves (skin) 
      - Special winners role on the Prodeus Discord

2nd Place: Grays [ Firebase Kodai ]
      P-link: m-5J9cCzaepH

- $1000.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Excalibur Gauntlets + Biker Gloves (skins) 

3rd Place: Vladd [ Maximum Menace ]
      P-link: m-9yZfaAliyx

- $500.00 USD 
      - 1 month to Humble Choice 
      - Biker Gloves (skin)

All of the winners will also be showcased on our Youtube channel, and because we had so many amazing entries, we’ll be showcasing parts of our Staff Picks too. 

We want to thank the wonderful folks over at Mapcore for hosting this sick competition, and a big ol shoutout to our sponsor Humble Games (who publish Prodeus), for making a large contribution to our prize pool this time around. 

Looking forward to the next competition already! Maybe will do a coop one with teams allowed? WHO KNOW!? Can't wait, see you then!

• 2 replies