LapnLook

[WIP] de_alps

I'm thinking about hosting a playtest on thursday at around 17:00 GMT+1 (from my computer in Hungary - Central/Eastern Europe. would that work?) tied in with the beta release which I'd finish up tomorrow. What do you think?

I'm thinking about hosting a playtest on thursday at around 17:00 GMT+1 (from my computer in Hungary - Central/Eastern Europe. would that work?) tied in with the beta release which I'd finish up tomorrow. What do you think?

You should instead get a playtest here: https://www.mapcore.org/topic/17116-mapcore-csgo-playtesting-40/

​As well as that, there is also the competition playtesting which you can sign up for here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WeQ3sp1CfBv1mv_n9hjQZV1BZEchJQRr7slxSNAdZic/viewform

Can I apply for this and say that the map will be in a ready state by that time? Just to reserve a timeslot

​As to that, I'm not sure, but as long as your map is ready by the slot, I'm sure there won't be a problem.

​​As to that, I'm not sure, but as long as your map is ready by the slot, I'm sure there won't be a problem.

​Well, the things I need to do before releasing a beta:
– add around 10-15 windows/doors to buildings to make the map look a bit more varied
– finish the 3d skybox (question: if a pinetree models top goes outside the skybox on top will it cause a compile error or cut off the top of the tree?)
– fix the goddamn nav mesh... bots never go B cause they can't figure out how to go up stairs that are at a 45 degree angle... it probably is because those are discplacement stairs that have their edges "cut" a bit to make them a bit more realistic

Question: if a pinetree models top goes outside the skybox on top will it cause a compile error or cut off the top of the tree?

​In my experience it will just cut off the top of the tree. I think you only get a compile error if the origin of the model is out of the map, but don't quote me on that one!

​In my experience it will just cut off the top of the tree. I think you only get a compile error if the origin of the model is out of the map, but don't quote me on that one!

​I'M QUOTING YOU ANYWAY GODDAMNIT :D 
well, I guess then I will just make the skybox high af (pun not intended), I don't know if that would be good for optimization though

​I'M QUOTING YOU ANYWAY GODDAMNIT :D 
well, I guess then I will just make the skybox high af (pun not intended), I don't know if that would be good for optimization though

​I've got an open skybox on my map (de_muros) and that doesn't seem to cause a big problem. It does mean that the map isn't very optimised but you wouldn't notice it unless it was running on a potato. There are more benefits to an open skybox than a closed one (cool nades etc.) in my experience

​I've got an open skybox on my map (de_muros) and that doesn't seem to cause a big problem. It does mean that the map isn't very optimised but you wouldn't notice it unless it was running on a potato. There are more benefits to an open skybox than a closed one (cool nades etc.) in my experience

​I always intended to make an open skybox for this very reason, but I planned for it to be like half as high as it will be this way. Also: is there a way to make props smaller? Cause it would be useful to put more pinetrees and stuff in the background.

Edited by LapnLook
question mark was missing

– fix the goddamn nav mesh... bots never go B cause they can't figure out how to go up stairs that are at a 45 degree angle... it probably is because those are discplacement stairs that have their edges "cut" a bit to make them a bit more realistic

​It sounds like you need to fix your stairs rather than the nav mesh. The "standard" (i.e. most used by Valve and long-standing mappers) dimensions for a CS:GO step is 8 units high by 12 units deep, but this is purely visual so if you haven't already you'll want to place a clip brush over the stairs to turn them in to a slope. This will result in a 33 degree angle which the nav mesh should have no difficulty with, and also makes it a smoother ride for the player.

The windows (if they're purely decoration) and skybox aren't really necessary to have in place for a playtest.

Models won't be cut off by the skybox, but depending on where the origin of the model is you may get a leak if they go outside the sealed level, and there's a chance you may get some odd lighting on the bit that sticks out if it's being lit from a point light within the map.

Edit: worked out a more precise angle. Ahh, procrastination.

Edited by text_fish

​I always intended to make an open skybox for this very reason, but I planned for it to be like half as high as it will be this way. Also: is there a way to make props smaller? Cause it would be useful to put more pinetrees and stuff in the background.

​You can't change the size of models very easily, however there are a few tree models at the right size for the skybox I seem to recall

​It sounds like you need to fix your stairs rather than the nav mesh. The "standard" (i.e. most used by Valve and long-standing mappers) dimensions for a CS:GO step is 8 units high by 12 units deep, but this is purely visual so if you haven't already you'll want to place a clip brush over the stairs to turn them in to a slope. This will result in more of a 25-30 degree angle which the nav mesh should have no difficulty with, and also makes it a smoother ride for the player.

The windows (if they're purely decoration) and skybox aren't really necessary to have in place for a playtest.

Models won't be cut off by the skybox, but depending on where the origin of the model is you may get a leak if they go outside the sealed level, and there's a chance you may get some odd lighting on the bit that sticks out if it's being lit from a point light within the map.

​1 – it HAS clip brushes but nav_generate ignores clip brushes :( I had to delete parts of the mesh manually cause bots were jumping madly at a fence and stuff
2 – I just want to finally release a beta which I promised a while back would be in June, and I want to finish these for the release
3 – I guess I'll experiment a bit then

​You can't change the size of models very easily, however there are a few tree models at the right size for the skybox I seem to recall

​But not pines :( There are some but they're all black, and the ones that are not are from cobble and they are HUGE. (half of their trunks are underground right now...)

Nav shouldn't skip tools/toolsclip, but it might skip tools/toolsplayerclip. Or it might be the other way round, I don't quite remember.

​What's the difference between toolsclip and toolsplayerclip?