Sign in to follow this  
text_fish

[WIP] DE_SECRET

Hello. A few Mapcore regulars will recognize my layout from a playtest a few months back, when it was known as DE_BRUTAL. That name has now been moved over to a side-project as I've changed the theme of DE_SECRET from oppressive brutalist architecture to a sunnier oxbridge/tudor style. There have been a few tweaks to the layout especially around bombsites, but the general gist is locked down so I'm currently working on art assets. I'll post screens and an updated overview soon!

Best of luck to everybody else entering the competition.

Hello!

So as I feared, I wasn't able to finish on time, but my progress is far along enough that I'd like to submit what I have and collect valuable feedback! I also owe it to my girlfriend to submit as I've been ignoring her an awful lot the last week or so and I wouldn't like it to be for nothing! Here's the workshop link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510172902

It's just gone 3am here, so I think I'll wait until tomorrow to add screenshots and all that bumph. I'll also book a playtest in soon, as it's been a while. :) Goodnight.

Screenshots and a description as promised:

Story
The British chancellor of the exchequer has been secretly siphoning public money to fund the renovation of his hereditary family estate. A radical political group, dissatisfied by the muted media response have decided to blow the story wide open by bombing one of two vulnerable spots in the estate. Like it or not, the SAS have a duty to quell the insurrection by force.

Screens
de_secret_radar.png
As always, the radar makes the layout look a lot more complex than it actually is when playing. Most of the areas to the right and bottom of bombsite B feature a lot of vertical gameplay.

de_secret_A_bombsite.png
Bombsite A, which at the moment is the most visually complete area of the map.

de_secret_B_bombsite.png
Bombsite B, as well as T (left) and CT (right)  catwalks above. Gunfights between the two catwalks are fun and one of the most distinct gameplay features, but I am concerned that some players might find it visually a bit too cluttered in the heat of action. I'll await feedback and rethink the visual design if necessary.

de_secret_hall.png
Hallway viewed from CT spawn. Soon there will be glorious bookshelves in the upper section, and some more ornate wooden paneling on the walls.

de_secret_lobby.png
Lobby, currently also lacking some detail. Expect rolled up carpets around the edges of the room, curtains framing the windows and maybe a few bits of furniture draped in sheets.

de_secret_middle.png
Middle area. The scaffolding isn't climbable, it was just a neat way to break up the long bare wall whilst also reinforcing the "renovation" theme and explaining the boarded up windows.

de_secret_stairs.png
Stairs above B bombsite. I wanted the area to the right of the archways to be a little gloomier than the stairwell itself to give T's an advantage and hopefully cause cautious CT's to hold back a bit.

de_secret_T_Spawn.png
T Spawn. I'm currently working on various tudor-ish roof assets which will allow me to finish off all of the currently rather flat rooves. Eventually I also plan to make some new trees with exciting autumn leaves.

Anyway, I hope whoever plays this map enjoys it, and I welcome all feedback and suggestions!

@FMPONE I'm going to have a new build with a few small tweaks (skybox fix, some technical optimisations) ready this afternoon. Do I need to hold off updating the workshop version until judging is over, or can I go ahead with uploading the new build?

@FMPONE I'm going to have a new build with a few small tweaks (skybox fix, some technical optimisations) ready this afternoon. Do I need to hold off updating the workshop version until judging is over, or can I go ahead with uploading the new build?

@General Vivi and @'RZL said in teamspeak a couple nights ago that no one should update after the deadline until the judging is over. Can one of them confirm?

I've not seen this written down anywhere though! :(

@General Vivi and @'RZL said in teamspeak a couple nights ago that no one should update after the deadline until the judging is over. Can one of them confirm?

A deadline is a deadline, you have to hold off from updating your submission until the finalists are announced if you don't want to risk your map being disqualified.

Thanks Vaya and RZL for the confirmation.

UPDATE
I won't upload the new build to workshop until judging is over, but just wanted to say I've managed to increase FPS by more than double in one particularly problematic area, which was the sightline from CT Hall to the T crate boost. Yay me. :>

Edited by text_fish

I uploaded the new version this afternoon:

-Temporary hotfix for the borked skybox
-Big optimisation issue resolved. FPS doubled in a previously troublesome area
-Disabled Fog
-Added placenames to the Nav mesh
-Probably a whole load of tiny tweaks and fixes that I don't remember doing
-Added a KV file

Could an admin please move this thread to the 3D sub-forum if they have a minute? Cheers. (Edit: Thanks!)

Edited by text_fish

Bombsite B, as well as T (left) and CT (right)  catwalks above. Gunfights between the two catwalks are fun and one of the most distinct gameplay features, but I am concerned that some players might find it visually a bit too cluttered in the heat of action. I'll await feedback and rethink the visual design if necessary.

I think you should board up/block out the two outside windows on each side to reduce the initial peek angle and distance.

Thanks, that's a nice idea.

I was also considering connecting the CT end to the upper part of the stairwell on the T-side. It might somewhat dilute the window-window action, but could help to unify the area as a whole, as I get the impression that as it is right now it all feels a bit too disconnected.