CSGO Map Detailing Tips

Does anyone here have tips on detailing cs go maps with only default textures. Specifically on facility-like maps. For example: making and placing windows in the right places, making the scene realistic, etc.

so. Any tips? :)

References. Lots and lots of references. I've found over the years that the only way I can make things truly look realistic is to base them off of things actually found in real life.

Even if it's just for fun or practice it's always good to sit down for 5-10 minutes and just gather a few images based off of or of what you want to make and just work on creating every detail you can out of brushes until it looks pretty acceptable. I find that if I'm basing something in an actual real life city or area, using Google streetview is another great tool for looking at streets and buildings quite close up in nearly any place you want without having to dig up pictures on google for them. 

References. Lots and lots of references. I've found over the years that the only way I can make things truly look realistic is to base them off of things actually found in real life.

Even if it's just for fun or practice it's always good to sit down for 5-10 minutes and just gather a few images based off of or of what you want to make and just work on creating every detail you can out of brushes until it looks pretty acceptable. I find that if I'm basing something in an actual real life city or area, using Google streetview is another great tool for looking at streets and buildings quite close up in nearly any place you want without having to dig up pictures on google for them. 

Do you have a specific process in implementing those stuff once a reference is found? For example: I add basic brushwork, then detail, then add texture(horrible example).

thanks btw.

I think having references is a part of what's really necessary, getting your ideas straight and focused,  and having a global idea of what you are doing in order to have a unity in what you are detailing. I guess it is the same step an architect must go through to build something, but in his case , he uses his draughtman skills :)

However, I don't really know when and where it is best to use props!

This might just be me, but I work on something very specific for a while and then use it as the reference for the rest of an area. If you can capture the mood well in one place, you can just replicate it through the rest of your scene using func_detail prefabs, textures, and props.

Also, in CS:GO, I definitely try to let lighting carry the scene. Nice materials and light bounce can go a lot further aesthetically than visual clutter and noise.

1 - Find a theme (is this alley for garbage, camion depot, etc...)

2 - Find references (good photos references give a lots of ideas, don't use first google images pages, there is a lot of good website about references)

3 - Explore models content, existing map, other games (know the game, the props available, how Valve/other people use them, then use them better)

4 - Make iteration, do a first pass, then when all your map is in this first pass, redo a pass, erase what is bad, make everything better.