NihiL

[WIP] de_spice (playtest tonight at 9pm CET)

I don't have any feedback on this as I'm not a mapper but it looks good. What I particularly like is how you took the effort of making a video going over the features of the map and what has changed because of feedback. I want to see more of this!

​You don't have to be mapper, to give feedback. You can be anyone, even not a gamer to tell if the artwork looks good :)

​You don't have to be mapper, to give feedback. You can be anyone, even not a gamer to tell if the artwork looks good :)

​While this is true, I dont think art makes a good map, but the layout / balance does.
And in the department I'm not the right person;)

@jackophant Haha thanks for tuning in!

@Tensei & @Dennispls: I can appreciate input by anybody, really! :P

Okay so after ~4 1/2 hours of streaming today, these are the updates: slight changes to market (from yesterday) and garage got fleshed out a LOT:

dyCXiD0.jpg

8AYmPiK.jpg

Feedback on these is very appreciated, see anything that looks 'wrong'? Any suggestions? Let me know!

I will be streaming every other day or so, just straight up mapping in Hammer and looking at all the other map threads here for the competition as well during compile time or breaks. Thanks for tuning in so far, was a lot of fun (even though I was alone for 2 hours in the beginning haha).

Too hungover to stream today but I've finally set up a 3ds max to source workflow and so now it's official: de_spice will get custom assets (and decals/textures as well)!

Here's the first custom static_prop, a better looking plank for the underpass area of the map (the mid-to-A connector):

5svqbWa.png

b64wZ9A.jpg

8h5VBIn.jpg

(Some lighting errors because of fast-vis I guess? Still have that issue that some of my props catch too much lighting.)

Nothing too special, bit of noise, chamfered edges and a custom texture. I like how the text came out that I put on the texture. Has the actual size of the plank on it (250x15 inches) and a subtle innuendo (if your mind is as dirty as mine): "durable wood" :P

@NihiL you should be very careful about making small models like that use a big amount of quads or tris, chamfering edges on something like that is waay too unecessary, this could have been done by just making it a basic rectangle or a small func_detail, keep that in mind. I think you should remake that model or atleast be vary of not just chamfering it too much, even one chamfer to make it slanted on the corners edges is unecessary

Edited by Vorontsov

@NihiL you should be very careful about making small models like that use a big amount of quads or tris, chamfering edges on something like that is waay too unecessary, this could have been done by just making it a basic rectangle or a small func_detail, keep that in mind. I think you should remake that model or atleast be vary of not just chamfering it too much, even one chamfer to make it slanted on the corners edges is unecessary

​Well it was a simple func_detail before and I disliked the simple brush-look it had, looked very amateurish I thought. That's why I made it a model. And it's not that small a model, 250 units in length. And gameplay-relevant. Are props THAT polycount-capped that you can't even chamfer an edge? :P

Anyways, progress update for today:

Z1tQ1qA.jpg

I made a custom metal barrel with cgtextures. Right now the texture is REALLY high quality at 2kx2k so I will probably scale it down. Looks nice though I think and gives a bit more of a custom feel to the map. Will probably add arabic text as well for immersion.

ypbv889.jpg

A custom texture another Team Liquid staff member (I'm on the staff as video editor) made for me. It's a wanted poster for a certain American sniper. Hidden away a bit as it's an easter egg haha.

JojtiEv.jpg

Edited the bombsite A a bit. Mostly visual changes. Uses the same custom plank model from the underpass.

Any further thoughts, ideas, concerns, questions or anything? I'm planning a stream for tomorrow!!

Edited by NihiL

You had me at the adreN wanted poster. This map looks epic. Keep up the good work.

Haha glad you like it, thanks!​

@NihiL They can be but shouldn't be, it's a plank and it's unecessary calculating for toasters :)

​Ah I see what you mean, I guess this is just subjective then? I disliked the simple brush so I gave it more detail!

Anyways, stream is on: http://www.twitch.tv/NihiLTV Tune in!

@NihiL Just because a car can have 4 steering wheels doesn't mean it should

2_By_4_Clue_Stick.jpg

​I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here :P Again, I didn't like that brush-y amateurish look that my previous planks gave me. Now they look like cheaper wood, more 'random' and less clear cut like that photo. And in my poor/rundown environment, I prefer that kind of look. Does that make sense? :P

Anyways, fun ~3 hour stream today. Thanks to the Mapcore users that tuned in! We did a bunch, here's some screenshots:

IZqfZdW.jpg

New garden area, behind bombsite A. This is the 'nice' area of the map (hence the terrorist target), a half-done Mosque. Note that I replaced that weird quirky crawlspace entry with a proper arch for fairer gameplay!

VDqFtm1.jpg

Another shot of the new bombsite A. I removed the weapon double crate and created a different angle that I think is fairer and better (model cover = bad in general I think).

HBSwnQz.jpg

A lot of work went into this connector (underpass). It's much more details now and I widened it as well as I think it was too narrow at ~120 units before. Now it's 160 roughly. And in that garage with the blue light you can actually spray through the ceiling and into the room above: the sniper window. So this can be used very nicely to take out a sniper playing from there!

XZ5u4hj.jpg

New skybox and I changed the light direction as previously suggested in this thread! I also rounded the stairs at the bottom edge of the screen.

We also decided on T/CT models this stream (GIGN vs Elite because of location and visibility) and I made the little loading screen CT/T/A/B icons pop in at the right position.

It's coming together. Next stream maybe Tuesday? I'll probably transition to other parts of the map that need more detail very soon as I'm starting to be pretty happy with bombsite A, marketplace and underpass connector.

As always, any feedback or criticism is very welcome! Let me know what you think!

I didn't like that brush-y amateurish look that my previous planks gave me. Now they look like cheaper wood, more 'random' and less clear cut like that photo. And in my poor/rundown environment, I prefer that kind of look. Does that make sense? :P

Chamfered edges make it look like refined expensive shit lol, not the opposite :D