Bombraker

Hey men ! Welcome to Mapcore.

So first thing, you've got a typo in your welcome paragraph "and I wish create something amazing".

I would totally remove the welcome page and just make me land straight up on your work. The less clicking I do the better it is. So in your case I clicked on your link (1 click), it's a welcome page... I clicked on the portfolio page (2 clicks), there's a games list and I click on a game (3 clicks). I'm done reading the description and I click "back" (4 clicks) and so on. Also maybe you shouldn't say "click on the picture or the link to go to the corresponding project". I wouldn't say anything in that case because it's pretty much common knowledge. 

In the best scenario, I click on your link and all the information I need is right in my face and I just scroll down the page to see if I'm interested or not. 

In your games' description there's very little for me to understand about your design intentions. For example, in your description for the "World of Cards", you say at some point "Then I combined those with the basic pre-scripted movement modules, which created a more dynamic and interesting gameplay experience". You never explained why this made more interesting and dynamic gameplay.

I think you have too many categories in your games' description.  Usually the things people are looking for is some kind of essence statement about what the core experience of your game is, your design intentions and what you did on the project. And try to keep it concise. Comments like "The entire process of learning the editor and creating something that was satisfying... Which is surprisingly low now that I look back at it" don't sound very professional to me. Keep those things for your resume where you can say, in your skills, "fast learner".

The whole point of an online portfolio is to allow recruiters, hiring managers, whoever is in charge of hiring people to "get in and get out". Go straight to the point : "this level was designed in order to make the Player feel vulnerable and want to hide" then "this is how I made sure that that mindset was respected" you know... something like that.  

Also... no videos. You need videos with text describing your gameplay and your design intentions. It's always better if you can show your design in action and why it supposed to work in a certain way. 

On the about me section, I would shy away from titles like "the story of my life...". I read the title and went "oh god this is going to be long" and I skipped reading it. Then I went back to it and read it just to give you more feedback. In this section, I would try to give more insights about what kind of games you like to make as opposed to who you are in general.  I think this sentence could be reworked "At IGAD I've learned how to deal with 60+ work hours a week, tight deadlines...". Again you don't say how. Did you learn how to time manage and organize your tasks using a software of some kind or something else ? You could phrase like "I've effectively learned how to time manage by prioritizing tasks and blabla". 

Your title says Game & Level Designer. In the case you are applying for a level design position, I think the person that has "Level Designer" (and has equal quality work to you) would have more chances of actually being hired. People on the other end might go "yep we want a passionate level designer ! The other applicant seems to not really know what he wants". And it's also quite important at junior level too. "Game and level designer" for a senior person with 5+ years and shipped games... why the hell not (it still doesn't sound as punchy as just Level or Game designer). Also make sure that you specify that you are junior (I'm working on my portfolio too and that's one thing that I need to change (thanks for reminding me haha)). 

In your contacts, I don't think I would give my phone number. I would have it in a resume but not in my contacts. And also make sure you have a resume. 

I thought I would just write a couple lines... welp. I'm usually the guy hanging around this area of the forum. So yeah... hope that was helpful to you ! Can't wait to see how this pans out. 

Cheeerss !!

• 2 months later...