AkatsukiUK

Henry Tofts - Level Designer

Hi everyone,

Thought I would throw myself to the wolves and post my portfolio here  :) . Really love the community here and it is nice to be among like minded professionals. 

I am highly driven, self-critical and always looking to improve and learn new things. 

http://www.henrytoftsdesign.co.uk

Edited by AkatsukiUK

Simplify.

You already have a portfolio page with all your projects, so dump the projects menu at the top (and rename "Home" to "Portfolio", "Projects" or similar). You have too many fonts and too much photoshopped elements. Let the webpage be simple and consistent (use the same font for your text) and let the screenshots contain all the information/visual noise. Demo tab seems redundant, just present your projects on the main page. Add your email adress to the bar at the top and remove the contact page/form on your webpage. Add small icons for linkedin/twitter if you want them.

As someone who loves CS:GO level design I felt like the presentation of your CS:GO level was overly rigorous. Sorry to say, but it is boring as shit to look at fulbright screenshots of a very rough 3D space and think about really small design-decisions of a map that is not well known. Just show the map as sexily as possible and leave it at that, entice people to take a closer look. Don't scare them away with walls of text and arrows and design musings and shit. If you want to write an article about making the level, you need to write more broadly and more systemically in my opinion. Less about specific design decisions for different rooms and more about your overall process of making a good map. 

Anyway, you have a good foundation for a portfolio, you just need some tweaks and work a bit on the presentation.

Disclaimer: Everything above is just opinion etc etc.

Edited by Puddy

I find it far too busy with too much clicking. Like Puddy said: simplify. And the page wont load properly for the first time I load it up. I have to f5 to get it to show anything.

OqVUgIo.jpg

Heya both,

Thanks for swinging by and taking a look. I will have a tinker with it when I get a free weekend. I will move/remove some tabs at the top. Think only reason I kept that projects tab was just to give the user the option of getting back.

The page not loading is related to moonfruits servers. This year they had a fair few problems. When I get the time I will move the portfolio into html from flash.

Thanks for your feedback

Changed all the font to Arial. Has helped I think make everything a lot easier to read, and removed the home page and swapped it over for the projects tab. 

I found having the contact details in a separate tab reduced the amount of spam I was receiving :).  

Looked further into the way the page displayed for you Dux. The only time I have seen my webpage appear like that is when you try to open it on a mobile phone. So the issue is likely flash related/your browser and not my provider.  When I eventually move my site to html this should clear up any future issues like this.

My feedback from interviews recently have been really positive, but your suggestions will continue to help me moving forward. Now I just need to figure out how to jump over that final hurdle and get the job.

Edited by AkatsukiUK

I would really encourage you to take earlier advice and simplify the text / graphics on the projects to all use the same format. Tell me what it is, what it was made in and perhaps what skills it demonstrates. Currently I have to look at each one to try and work out what it was, whereas if you have one format that is applied to all I will know what's going on after the first one.

I did something similar for mine that you could base off, or not! 3d4d47b0034f7c1701ca58b6384769b8.jpg
https://gyazo.com/3d4d47b0034f7c1701ca58b6384769b8

- Harry

Edited by Harry Edwards

Hi all,

Been a while but I have got round to sorting this out! The website has finally been dragged kicking and screaming out of flash and into html.

Changes:

- Re-made site from ground up in html.
- Made it lightweight and fast (No more load buffering like last time).
- Took on your feedback and removed all the distracting text and photoshop stuff from the pages.
- Streamlined much of the project content and set it up so that each projects full content sits on one page. (No more looking for next page buttons).
- Works better for mobile phones now.
- Simpler and cleaner look overall.

Phew!

Thanks all