Triple-M

[csgo] de_venezia

Release version 03: https://www.dropbox.com/s/og66sya7sfz3n84/de_venezia_3.zip?dl=0

Workshop

Hello everyone. This is my first real CS map. I made it for the Gamebanana "Building Bridges" contest.

Given the bridges theme, I thought of the city of Venice, which is littered with over 400 bridges. I had played on Venice based maps before and one thing that bothered me was the water and how it was usually made to be inaccessible. I decided early on to try to make the water relevant to gameplay and made the water accessible throughout my map. While it is dangerous to wade through, as there are only a few exit points back to the street, it still offers interesting high-risk high-reward strategies, and are often used when rotating. In turn, this gives the bridges utility by allowing players access over the dangerous water.

This image I took from last summer when I was in Venice was the first real inspiration I got and was highly influential on bombsite A.

DSC08016.jpg

The bridge at bombsite A is approached perpendicularly and is high enough to allow gunfire to be exchanged underneath before the terrorists attempt to cross it.

5931BC9913ED3365A303888AE630A1CDEF30D200

Meanwhile, the bridge at bombsite B is approached head on by the terrorists and is high enough to completely block other players, providing cover and grenade tactics to both sides.

DF2D9B29C9899773E8430D97DAE150FCE597B086

More screenshots:

0%20radar%20web.jpg

bomb%20a%202.jpg

bomb%20a%203.jpg

bomb%20b%202.jpg

bomb%20b%203.jpg

outside%20b%201.jpg

outside%20b%202.jpg

outside%20b%203.jpg

outside%20b%206.jpg

Edited by Triple-M

nice setting. if i remember correctly there was someone else on this forum that tried to pull it off but changed theme/setting cause of layout related problems with water and bridges. maybe he can inform you with stuff that you should keep in mind. you would just have to find him :P

The majority of the criticism of the Map in last nights playtest was levied at the water. Not a big surprise as I was being fairly experimental with the water. I've gone back to my test map to try out a few tweaks. I have the water more shallow to prevent players from crouching under the water line. I have also changed the water texture to "Aztec" to help the player models visually pop out more.

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

Hopefully these are some steps in the right direction but I'm interested in other people's opinion.

Edited by Triple-M

The majority of the criticism of the Map in last nights playtest was levied at the water. Not a big surprise as I was being fairly experimental with the water. I've gone back to my test map to try out a few tweaks. I have the water more shallow to prevent players from crouching under the water line. I have also changed the water texture to "Aztec" to help the player models visually pop out more.

(images)

Hopefully these are some steps in the right direction but I'm interested in other people's opinion.

I think you should consider blocking some routes off, the readability of the water is terrible and leads to the overlooking of potential attacking routes. This as well as making it very difficult for CTs to hold the bombsites due to so many angles being able to attack the bombsite this in turn with lack of for CTs leads to somewhat T sided gameplay.

Version 2 is out

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss1gq656u6j0ayp/de_venezia_2.zip?dl=0

Change Log:

- Water more shallow, players cannot crouch below water line
 - Changed water texture for better visibility
 - CTs now arrive at B faster
 - Pushed some buildings back at B
 - Removed archway
 - Added cover to both bomb sites
 - Softened some of the unrealistic geometry
 - Moved some free standing props
 - All windows now non-solid