TheGuma

You can now sell content through Steam Workshop

So I'm of this thought on this topic:

25% goes to the mod author 45% goes to Bethesda 30% goes to Valve.

https://np.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33nqrq/official_sw_monetization_discussion_thread/

Regardless of whether Valve or Bethesda feel these figures are fair, they reflect very poorly on the revenue scheme. That detail needs to be changed and improved, I believe. We all know that Bethesda and Valve don't need the money, so why depress the creator cuts this much?

Secondarily, the public response to this plan seems to have gone really badly. The irony of this is, the real people it hurts is the content creators who rely on Valve to market their plans a little bit more effectively than what we've seen thus far. If the public response is negative, that will mean the scheme can't be effective, and creators won't get paid much. Valve has always relied heavily on customer good will, and it's a big trump card to cede for any reason.

Asking content creators to go out their and dive on their swords defending this plan without public good will is a great way to leave everyone disgruntled.

Oh man, it's going to be wild in terms of copyright infringements and stuff. I mean, how many mods out there steal from one another, from royalty content online, etc. I wonder how Valve can maintain ways for people to not be able to rip off one another and sell illegal stuff all over the place. Or maybe it's not their problem, but still.

Will be interesting to see how the modding scene will evolve for those games, the only thing we can be pretty sure about is that Valve is going to make money :)

In less than 24 hours, it's already started:

http://www.pcgamer.com/paid-for-skyrim-mod-removed-in-a-matter-of-hours/

As many fine folks have already mentioned, the biggest issue would be copyright infringement and intellectual property theft. The free workshop is loaded with such content and with money involved, I can see it increasing.

Without being disrespectful or ungrateful to their brilliant work on the games side, Valve sadly has a poor track record in combating these issues and keeping things under control; they are slow in responding and rather reactive rather than proactive.  Maybe the relatively small team size and flat management structure is making them overwhelmed; maybe this management style that worked so far for game development isn't very much suited for a huge financial institution that Valve has more or less become.

They definitely need to have active moderation of the workshop with dedicated proactive admins/moderators that can deal with copyright on the spot and finalize any related support tickets from complaining original authors.

I haven't been into this for a while, but what about all the pirated software being used to make mods?

I'm cool with using whatever software to create free content, but once you start making money off something having a pirated license is just bad...

While it's technically not Valves problem, I could see it becoming their problem if Adobe and Autodesk decides that it is.

I haven't been into this for a while, but what about all the pirated software being used to make mods?

I'm cool with using whatever software to create free content, but once you start making money off something having a pirated license is just bad...

While it's technically not Valves problem, I could see it becoming their problem if Adobe and Autodesk decides that it is.

This would already be an issue with Dota and CS:GO workshop stuff, which resulted in Modo Indie and Maya LT.

This revenue scheme is bullshit. It should go the people who put in the work. But I suppose you gotta be rich in the first place to think like that. Everybody knows the poor are always being fucked over by the rich. Always have, always will. This is no different.

Well, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.

At first I thought "having the chance to get some extra money with your hobby could be nice".

But finally I'm afraid, that this will cause big problems...

Even though I'm not really good at it, I love making maps. My dream was to make a (CS) map that I actually could play online. But since the matchmaking system was changed, it has become pretty impossible to find a server hosting specific custom maps. So the only real chance is to get into an operation, which is also pretty impossible for average map creators like me.

And I'm afraid that it's getting worse, when money is added to the workshop. There will be more "professionals" releasing their content. And there will be more assholes trying to make money with their shit.

I'm also in a state where I'm not sure this is good or bad. And like you I think that adding money into this will spawn tons of "pro" mods/modders that will hog the mod sections - after a while, valve will add support to mod the mods.

Thinking more about it, I'm probably on the bad side, at least for now =)

Not to split the thread but, what about all the AAA games being developed using pirated software? Believe me, there are tons of em.

Well, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.

At first I thought "having the chance to get some extra money with your hobby could be nice".

But finally I'm afraid, that this will cause big problems...

Even though I'm not really good at it, I love making maps. My dream was to make a (CS) map that I actually could play online. But since the matchmaking system was changed, it has become pretty impossible to find a server hosting specific custom maps. So the only real chance is to get into an operation, which is also pretty impossible for average map creators like me.

And I'm afraid that it's getting worse, when money is added to the workshop. There will be more "professionals" releasing their content. And there will be more assholes trying to make money with their shit.

I'm also in a state where I'm not sure this is good or bad. And like you I think that adding money into this will spawn tons of "pro" mods/modders that will hog the mod sections - after a while, valve will add support to mod the mods.

Thinking more about it, I'm probably on the bad side, at least for now =)

On the flip side, we the players will get more high quality content for our beloved games. The idea of paid custom content for games is good and should be further interated on!