You can now sell content through Steam Workshop

TheGuma

I agree, art is definitely better when the people making it are starving

I do agree, from a freelancer perspective much like a Youtuber/Streamer, which I was not thinking about earlier; if the market is truly large enough now, its great people could start making decent income doing what they love within the comfort of their home. I hope its somewhat regulated though. Like other people have said, it could be risky to buy some of this stuff and not have it work, or whatever reason.

Edited by Grinwhrl

A lot people will try to abuse the system, People who are not selling their mods yet will feel left out and jump on it as well.

The same happend in the ArmA community when Bohemia made MakeArmAnotWar contest. At first everyone against getting money for modding, at the end everyone jumped on it though.

I'm not against it, but I do hope the amount of people who are going to abuse it is going to stay low.

Dont wanna pay fiddy bucks for my The Witcher 3 Schlongs of Nilfgaard mod.

I don't see where mods fall into this. It would be neat to have a donate to your favourite mapper/modeller like twitch community. But I will not hold my breath

tbh I think putting the greediness into the equation to where most find their career is troublesome. Modding is meant to encourage and push talents without the carrot over the head. It builds a love to create for passion over the love of money. It pushes ideas over ideas to make the most return.

Edited by cashed

I have to say I strongly disagree with the statement that this is the end of modding. If you think that this was somehow 'the first step' you haven't been following what's happened the last five (or more) years. This development have been pretty much foreseeable for a long time since the availabilty of game development and content for games via editors increasing drastically due to developers reaching out a helping hand for all users.  Take a step back and look what's happend the latest year.

Ever heard of these titles? Dota, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Counter-strike, Natural Selection and more. You know what they all have in common? They have all been mods, going way back in time.

I could totally see this growing into a world where mods could be 'greenlit' to be extracted as games of their own, with the developer's consent as well as the modders. If you think of it, extracting a game like that would not be very different at all from developing a game in any middle-ware today - you could probably see it as a mid-middle-ware of some sort. Now of course you could go all Blizzard over the EULA and say 'Hey, we own all your shit you do in our game.' But hopefully it could be more like a partnership.

The games industry may seem very big today in terms of sales and how much media attention that's going on but really, I still think we're far from the peak-oil of game development. Maybe games will server as 'incubators' for mods to grow up and become a real game.

As an industry as a whole, I think this is a very good thing.

Edited by Sjonsson

Hmm. I am interested in Valve's approach.. I would love to pay for quality mods, for example.

I would definitely pay for Black Mesa Source, and I've heard they're working on a commercial version.

Counter Strike was mod back then, right?

Either way, just checked out, the Skyrim blades and stuff they're advertising are around 0,20$ to 1$ range. It's not THAT expensive considering that people spend THOUSANDS of dollars for skins in CS:GO. Let's say a map costed 1$, I would pay for it if it looks good. If it looks meh, I wouldn't. It's still about choice. I'm sure modders who oppose this new feature will continue on with their lives, and talented artists will get some funds.

Also, they haven't mentioned maps being included, so we are speculating so far. Eventually things will balance out, people will get used to it.

It's Valve, so I trust them to some sort of extent.

I do not know what to think about this.

Modding isn't about money, and when you involve money into a hobby like this, it changes things more often than not, for the worse...

At the same time, I don't want to be conservative about anything, just because something is the way it is for years, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed, but part of the magic of modding is that it's just a bunch of people having fun fiddling with their favourit games, many times being very creative because they have neither nothing to loose nor nothing to win.

If you start to involve money into this culture, it will undoubtedly change it, people's mindsets will change and they'll be thinking about profit first, which is not a good thing.

Now of course you could go all Blizzard over the EULA and say 'Hey, we own all your shit you do in our game.' But hopefully it could be more like a partnership.

Have you read Valve's ToS?

Anything created in the SDK is theirs. They are simply providing royalties now. It's definitely the base building for what Source 2 will be. With them announcing it is free and all. Small indies may use this as a platform and modders can use it as a learning ground. But really modding isnt the same as it once was. It's now "indie" with this workshop announcement.

Oh man, it's going to be wild in terms of copyright infringements and stuff. I mean, how many mods out there steal from one another, from royalty content online, etc. I wonder how Valve can maintain ways for people to not be able to rip off one another and sell illegal stuff all over the place. Or maybe it's not their problem, but still.

Will be interesting to see how the modding scene will evolve for those games, the only thing we can be pretty sure about is that Valve is going to make money :)

Edited by Corwin

I have to say I strongly disagree with the statement that this is the end of modding. If you think that this was somehow 'the first step' you haven't been following what's happened the last five (or more) years. This development have been pretty much foreseeable for a long time since the availabilty of game development and content for games via editors increasing drastically due to developers reaching out a helping hand for all users.

[...]

Now of course you could go all Blizzard over the EULA

Well really Gabe said this was the direction openly in some interviews time ago. So no surprises about this really. Not sure what you mean with your statement, but I wouldn't call the operation "helping": Valve knows better than anyone that custom content can create a steady revenue stream simply with people buying the original game to play the mod. That is helping themselves first and foremost.

In terms of copyrights, you have to read the fine print, like Cashed already reported.

Either way, just checked out, the Skyrim blades and stuff they're advertising are around 0,20$ to 1$ range. It's not THAT expensive considering that people spend THOUSANDS of dollars for skins in CS:GO. Let's say a map costed 1$, I would pay for it if it looks good. If it looks meh, I wouldn't. It's still about choice. I'm sure modders who oppose this new feature will continue on with their lives, and talented artists will get some funds.

Of course they aren't expensive, but there's no comparison in the amount of work between a sword and a map! And if you were to price a map correctly, you would never get anything from it. And if your map comes at a price, it won't spread as much -which is the first reason you make a map anyway.

Mappers here are at great disadvantage, players perceive that sort of content as something that must be provided, because it's the game's foundation. People are much more inclined in buying accessories, just look at the F2P market, is based on that almost; listen to a few presentations on Youtube and you'll hear more about psychology than game design.

~

PS: we also haven't even mentioned the fact that there's a refund option, how many bastards are gonna play an SP add-on in an afternoon and then claim the money back?

I know that on the long run, on the big numbers, quality will always trump on this cheap ploys, but it's still unfair nonetheless.

Edited by blackdog