Muffin

de_cetza

Finally, a map I am going to finish because no one will be there to greatly criticize my layout :P.

Thanks to MaanMan for helping with testing, ideas, and overall great helping.

THEME CHANGE!: Crystal Mining facility!

UPDATED IMGUR PICTURE ALBUM: http://imgur.com/a/zTo1C

Workshop Link: (Don't mind the bad screenshot) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424256104

For now, please provide feedback :)

Edited by Muffin
...Post update lol

Couple of things (from the screenshots)

Your radar shot need to be taken with "cl_leveloverview <value>". 4 is a good starting point, and you may want to use "cl_leveloverviewmarker 1024" as well to provide a red line square. If you do that you're only a couple of steps away from actually making your radar.

I'm going to presume you haven't messed with the texture scale, but iirc, each of those full squares on the reflectivity textures is 128x128units (best case scenario, it may be 256 units). In your first screenshot, there are almost 3 full tiles in the narrow part of the path and even more in the large area behind. That's 384 units wide at least, and for reference my widest corridor is 190units.

I realise that might be a spawn area? But you still have huge sight lines to contend with. The entire map is large and open.

As it's your first map as well I would stay away from the Aztec theme. It's not a particularly easy thing to research visual resources for and your map will suffer for it.

GL

EDIT: oh, and don't think i didn't notice the name is aztec backwards ;)

Edited by jackophant

Couple of things (from the screenshots)

Your radar shot need to be taken with "cl_leveloverview <value>". 4 is a good starting point, and you may want to use "cl_leveloverviewmarker 1024" as well to provide a red line square. If you do that you're only a couple of steps away from actually making your radar.

I'm going to presume you haven't messed with the texture scale, but iirc, each of those full squares on the reflectivity textures is 128x128units (best case scenario, it may be 256 units). In your first screenshot, there are almost 3 full tiles in the narrow part of the path and even more in the large area behind. That's 384 units wide at least, and for reference my widest corridor is 190units.

I realise that might be a spawn area? But you still have huge sight lines to contend with. The entire map is large and open.

As it's your first map as well I would stay away from the Aztec theme. It's not a particularly easy thing to research visual resources for and your map will suffer for it.

GL

EDIT: oh, and don't think i didn't notice the name is aztec backwards ;)

I'm going to build off of the Aztec map theme wise, but you'll be surprised about how little large angles there are. CT spawn has a angle all the way down but that's reallyit. I suggest you take an ingame look :). Most of the wide passages are In the non choke point areas that are not meant to be used much

I'm going to build off of the Aztec map theme wise, but you'll be surprised about how little large angles there are. CT spawn has a angle all the way down but that's reallyit. I suggest you take an ingame look :). Most of the wide passages are In the non choke point areas that are not meant to be used much

You might want to build on it, but you can't just make it up. Working from reference is very important, and the point of ruins, is that they're ruins.

You might want to build on it, but you can't just make it up. Working from reference is very important, and the point of ruins, is that they're ruins. Meh. Trust me Itl be ok dude. (Sorry if I sound rude) Edited by Muffin

You might want to build on it, but you can't just make it up. Working from reference is very important, and the point of ruins, is that they're ruins.  

Meh. Trust me Itl be ok dude. (Sorry if I sound rude)

It's advice, take it or leave it...

Good references lead to a stronger map design- the areas I've build off references and real world theming have always been stronger than the ones 'freehanded'

Edited by Vaya

Meh. Trust me Itl be ok dude. (Sorry if I sound rude)

It's advice, take it or leave it...

Good references lead to a stronger map design- the areas I've build off references and real world theming have always been stronger than the ones 'freehanded'

So do you suggest simply switching themes or attempting to find aztec/ jungle ruins references ...

I would stick with it if that's what you want to make.

there's ton of references out there -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aztec+ruins&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=-2QuVcamOo-p7Aax4oDIBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

remember you don't need to stick to just 'aztec' either. DE_Aztec was more Mayan than anything

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aztec+ruins&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=-2QuVcamOo-p7Aax4oDIBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

remember you don't need to stick to just 'aztec' either. DE_Aztec was more Mayan than anything

Another mapcorian is currently trying to make an "aztec" map without obvious references. As with all of those linked pictures, they are all crumbled buildings that were once taller with large amounts of grass around them. I really don't think the theme lends itself to counter strike gameplay at all.

Small mediterranean towns and business/industry areas are so popular because they naturally lend themselves to what is required. People can get creative ofc, but naturally built up / inhabited areas are just easier to work with.

Another mapcorian is currently trying to make an "aztec" map without obvious references. As with all of those linked pictures, they are all crumbled buildings that were once taller with large amounts of grass around them. I really don't think the theme lends itself to counter strike gameplay at all.

Small mediterranean towns and business/industry areas are so popular because they naturally lend themselves to what is required. People can get creative ofc, but naturally built up / inhabited areas are just easier to work with.

I don't think the guy is working on de_meso anymore (Am I mistaken, is there another guy?) but anyways. I was thinking of making something similar to ruins, with aztec textures but a nice jungle theme. Edit: Another thing is the Italy/inferno/overall populated houses with European area architecture is getting pretty overused. Most maps turn out either with the generic cache like warehouse, or Italy like houses... Besides, I want to do something "new"

Edited by Muffin

Daymn, this looks nice. Bodd approved.

Yay a compliment!

Are there any layout issues though, or problems you see?

Not really, I just love the double angles you can take everywhere, makes it exciting to hold and to attack. The spawns is also great, because you have clear indications of where to go, it just looks great that way. I would have to try it 5v5 for a couple of times before I could give you anything more than that. 

Edited by Bodd Jonar

Daymn, this looks nice. Bodd approved.

Yay a compliment!

Are there any layout issues though, or problems you see?

Not really, I just love the double angles you can take everywhere, makes it exciting to hold and to attack. The spawns is also great, because you have clear indications of where to go, it just looks great that way. I would have to try it 5v5 for a couple of times before I could give you anything more than that. Should I step it up, finish the clipping, make a better skybox, and then submit for a playtest?