FrieChamp

Looking to buy a new TV

Was considering getting a cheap 4k panel to extednd my workspace for my pc (at 40/42" the ppi is similar to my 27" 1440p screen, which is pretty much enough for me), but that range doesn't have a displayport input and getting 60Hz at 4k over HDMI is also very iffy... Might look at a 34"+ curved cinescope monitor instead.

If I'd really want to watch movies / have a living room experience I'd probably look into a projector system instead, just curious does anyone have any experience in that regard?

You can certainly get a good TV now Chris, but what I really meant was that now is a very difficult time to buy a TV because there hasn't been a particularly significant jump in quality for quite some time now — and now that Panasonic has stopped making plasmas, it's actually harder to find a TV with good black levels compared to a few years ago.

It's not an exaggeration to say that my 2009 plasma still kicks the shit out of the black levels that most TVs my family and friends who've bought them in the last year or so have, and at least two thirds of what's in your average department store.

My dad was gobsmacked when he recently upgraded his 2010 Panasonic to a 2014 Samsung LED-backlit LCD for the same price and it was actually a significant downgrade in quality. Mostly because of grey blacks and viewing angle wash-out, which no amount of colour grading or tone adjustment could fix. Black levels are no joke!

To put it another way, the TV market is currently a lot like the PC monitor market. There are great options if you know what you're looking for, but the majority of consumer devices have relatively shitty panels. Hence why I outlined what those better options are, to avoid being the guy who wonders why you'd possibly buy a £400 (IPS) monitor when the same size can be found for £150 (TN) because you assume all modern units are good.

To put it another way, the TV market is currently a lot like the PC monitor market. There are great options if you know what you're looking for, but the majority of consumer devices have relatively shitty panels. Hence why I outlined what those better options are, to avoid being the guy who wonders why you'd possibly buy a £400 (IPS) monitor when the same size can be found for £150 (TN) because you assume all modern units are good.

As with monitors, can you specifically buy an IPS / TN TV? Is that a thing?

Monitors always say what the technology is as it usually comes with associated pros/cons, but I can't recall ever seeing that level of specificity on a TV. They just say "LCD" which doesn't help because both technologies are LCD :|

What's stopping someone like Samsung churning out a few AMOLED TV screens and really showing off the true blacks?

I get the impression the TV industry is a long way behind what we expect for our monitors... But why?

There are crazy discounts on Amazon UK for electronics this week, I'm really tempted. The other night I was this close to buy a Sony, I think this one.
Tried to look for reviews, found one that I believed to be of this model, than was a slightly different which bummed me as -like I said- it made me this close to click "buy" as they were giving a stellar review 9/10.

81MUsbASrOL._SL1500_.jpg

Is there any website that you know that sums up the best TVs around, seems like same vendors have a ton of variants, not just in size unfortunately.

I'm a bit weary as well cos just the other day I had the chance to wander around shops and in the tech section there were TV from Samsung, which I always kept in high regard, looked rubbish; but all TVs looked washed out and pixelated... dunno if I was too close because they had an awful spacing.

Edited by blackdog

Hey guys, Black Friday comes to a close and websites are going crazy.

Found this lightning deal on a Sony 49" 4K

also Argos has some interesting prices
From Argos I'd narrow to:
Sony 50" Full HD Smart 529£ (save 320£) | LG 49" 4K 549£ (save 220£) | LG 49" Full HD Smart (save 180£)

I would ideally spend up to 500£, could go up to 600£ if the product is really worth it and hugely discounted (eg 600£ after +30% discount).
I've seen some Bush 4K TVs that are incredibly crispy (they weren't that big though) so wonder if would be better off spending money on something like that, would anyway get Netflix/Prime through the X360 or Chromecast or the likes.

Any suggestions? A friend says that cost/screen quality LG is better atm. Also to just get a full HD the size I need, ignore smart functions and get a Chromecast. Of course I care about "smart" just that amount, it's just that at a certain budget, TV are usually smart.

Edited by blackdog

Honestly, don't buy 4K. You're much better off getting a high quality 1080p screen like I helped my sister find recently.

That Sony 50" looks pretty good though :) 

What did you suggested to buy?

On Curry's I found a LG 50" Full HD for 429£, tempted to get that along the LG soundbar + woofer, which comes discounted if bundled, final cost would be 529£.

Edit: friend of mine suggested this LG, which looks like the model after the one above. If there are no better suggestions I think I  have a winner.

PS: I think to remember you talking about audio speakers to move around? I see that now they are all wireless these bars, and with Bluetooth they say you can play your music from any device.

Edited by blackdog

Honestly, don't buy 4K. You're much better off getting a high quality 1080p screen like I helped my sister find recently.

That Sony 50" looks pretty good though :) 

I don't agree with this unless your on a tight budget, the best quality panels are all on 4k screens now as it's become a standard, it's not really a debate about if you need a 4k because it's true you won't be using that much, but if your spending over 1500USD a 4k screen is a must. 

Oh yeah, I wish I had that money to spend, but I don't... so I was wondering if a 4K would have been a better in terms of panel than a FHD, when price differs of just 50-100£.
Tried to find some reviews but there are so many friggin models that it's a lost cause, it feels.

If you're serious about home cinema then get a projector+screen which is:

-Has better quality

-More reliable (dealing with a broken 250kg 65" inch screen is no fun:P)

-Allows for correct audio setup

-$ for " cheaper

I have done just that and have absolutely no regrets!

Edited by Buddy

If you're serious about home cinema then get a projector+screen which is:

-Has better quality

-More reliable (dealing with a broken 250kg 65" inch screen is no fun:P)

-Allows for correct audio setup

-$ for " cheaper

I have done just that and have absolutely no regrets!

I consider myself a cinema fanatic, but I'm not even renting an apartment, I live were I work so there's not much I can do here. Got lucky and obtained a much bigger room a few months ago (it's actually living + bedroom) but wouldn't be practical spend money for installing such things, I don't think the room would be ideal but also to consider that proper sound system would annoy the people below me as well :D

Alright since I don't get any specific suggestion I think I'll place the order tonight :hurry: