FMPONE

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

On 6/12/2016 at 10:30 AM, dux said:

lol, the huge delay at the transition to takedowns.

This seriously needs to be fixed before shipping, it wasn't as prevalent in HR. This is running on PS4 so maybe the delay is just a hardware limitation and it'll be better on PC? Regardless, i'd love to see it fixed on all plats, it's seriously annoying.

Man the gameplay looks so much less interesting than its predecessor. It seems they are going the Dishonored way of just giving players EVERY option out there to "play as you want" (aka making the player too strong). Ironic how it is detrimental to the game.

Alright, played this at e3.

I can confirm the fade to black on takedowns and other transitions is completely gone on PC, which is a relief, so here's hoping they fix it on consoles as well.

The E3 demo is fun as hell, they do throw a lot at you at once tho, which breaks the pacing a bit, i like to be introduced a certain gameplay element and be given enough time to fuck around with it before being thrown more stuff at me to learn, but I assume it had to be done for the demo with limited time, I felt I was given stuff that is probably only unlocked like a quarter way through the game.

There's not much to say really, if you liked HR you're gonna love this, it's more of the same only better in every regard. Storytelling, graphics, movement, inventory, dialogs, environments are all much better polished than HR. I specially liked the level design, it's more akin to the original DeusEx, you are given the toys and you can then use them as you will and the levels are your playground. In a world where everything is simplified a lot, i'm just happy games like this are still being made, it's definitely a niche that has it's place.

Talked with a couple devs too, those guys are extremly passionate for this franchise and very proud of what they have here and it shows in the game.

So it's up for pre-order on steam.

First AAA game I see at 50€ on launch.

I always thought unfair we have to pay the same price at launch than for consoles, since there are less producing costs regarding the disk production.

@Sprony you guys journalists can test drive it already? :)

57 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

So it's up for pre-order on steam.

First AAA game I see at 50€ on launch.

I always thought unfair we have to pay the same price at launch than for consoles, since there are less producing costs regarding the disk production.

@Sprony you guys journalists can test drive it already? :)

We have not received our preview version yet. I can't speak for other outlets though.

46 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Oh, well welcome to the "mildly curious to super hyped" club then :)

I'm not that interested in the game to be honest.

11 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Why would that be?

Personnal preference or what you've seen of the game dissapointed you?

I've had Human Revolutions in my Steam library for years, but I didn't get around to it. This one is looking great too, but I want to play and finish HR first and I simply don't have the time. So it has nothing to do with preference or disappointment, but more with a lack of time killing enthusiasm because I know I won't be playing this until much later. 

I only just finished DXHR last month, despite being a top tier Deus Ex fanatic. :v I got really annoyed at the ending, tbh, because of the choices, one is "some regulations" and one is "no regulations", and they portray "some regulations" as this really dark choice that will hamper human progress and set up discrimination against augs (like in Mankind Divided), which is fucked up imo. Cyberpunk is supposed to be distrusting of megacorps, not distrusting of regulating megacorps! This is an area Deus Ex got completely right: The government is bad because it is fully controlled by the corporations it's supposed to be policing, via the Illuminati. But since the Illuminati are barely visible in DXHR, and you're a private employee for the whole game, it ends up portraying your employer as sympathetic, despite them making WMDs and shit, and the government is portrayed as doing the bidding of anti-science nutbags who don't deserve respect.

Edited by Jetsetlemming

I do think there's something to be said for the way that Human Revolution essentially sets you up to sympathise with and/or side with a mega corporation and really like its owner and staff even though such an entity is undoubtedly probably not a good thing for the world.

It's interesting that by spending time with the human beings behind such a monolothic and far-reaching corporation, you realise that such organisations are less about being bad/evil and instead just about emotionlessly treating everything as business despite the human cost. In some ways it reminds me of where absolutely superb TV series Mr Robot is going with some of its story.

The black-and-white 'megacorps are bad' approach is definitely old hat and boring, so it's good that the themes are being explored in a more nuanced way. But the Human Revolution ending was admittedly not a good approach, and kind of undermined the whole of the game previously.