[CS:GO] [WIP] de_geranium

ICanHasCrab

First of all, hello to the MapCore community! :)

I have been browsing the website in the past weeks for the constructive feedback that has been given to other creations, which gave me an awesome overview on how to start mapping and the many things that come with it! I thank you all for that. But now I would love to present to you guys my new project I started working on as of late.

DE_GERANIUM is going to be a radio station located at the outer ring of an industrial area. I got most of my inspirations and motivation from my current university and modern games I have played in the past. I tried to build a hospital-themed map before, but the amount of narrow and long hallways was causing too many issues.

For building reference I am using BLUME from the game Watch_Dogs, I want to change it in a way so players do not recognize that it has been ripped off, but I do want to add a few references to it. Which is why I chose for the name GERANIUM. (Reference to the name BLUME, both are flowers and have a flower as logo) 

lXMZuoQ.png

With this style in mind, I have decided to build a map with multiple buildings connecting to each other, providing indoor and outdoor gameplay which allows more tactical flashes and smokes. After sending my bots on rampage for a few hours, testing timings and calculating danger points.. I came up with the layout mentioned in the attachments. The only thing that currently lacks is the amount of cover on most of the bigger and open areas, but this will be added on the next updates.

Thank you for your attention, as soon as progress is made I will post some more pictures! Expect some early playtesting aswell! 

post-32458-0-65019400-1425824956_thumb.p

post-32458-0-69703400-1425826360_thumb.p

Edited by ICanHasCrab

My first notice is that, you only have one pathway into each site excluding connectors. This topic does not apply to all layouts, but I would suggest giving T's a sneaky alternate route to make the map less CT sided, for both sites can only be rushed with precision. (Judging by screenshots)

EDIT: Nice job though! I would love to see this map in complete form!

Edited by InfinitySlayerX

Additional pathways which serve as connectors can be taken into consideration after some playtesting, but I will leave the map layout as it is for now. Speaking of which, I have only added a few placeholder brushes onto the map which will be replaced by props or serve as cover. It divided bombsite B more into a CQC with a few pick lanes for snipers.

I have also been starting with the main geometry for the roofs, bridges and buildings. I started texturing the main building at the terrorist spawn to set the main style, the gray brick might look dark but after dropping a few bots infront of it, they don't blend in that much actually. For the pillars at the entrance, at the other hand, I will add some foliage and high plant pots infront of it for better play vision.

St12uEV.png

I expect to have the main texturing and geometry done for the Terrorist spawn somewhere this weekend. I want to do the main texturing for the entire map before I actually want the map to be playtested on Mapcore.

Edited by ICanHasCrab

my only problem with the layout is that parts of your map are separated only by a thin wall, because of that the player will hear a lot of footsteps, confusing the hell out of him

Yeah, I had a friend of mine mention this before, when I was testing with bots. Which is why I have made it so that a part of bombsite A & B are under construction, meaning that there's different kind of floor textures like wood and metal instead of just tiles and marble. So that if you actually hear footsteps, you can tell if it's inside our outside. I do expect this becoming an issue if the Terrorists would be rushing B past the long path, so I will probably have their hallway thickened out so you cannot hear them move as loud.

For the custom textures, I have a beautiful girlfriend who is about to graduate in Art & Design. So I got her making a few textures for certain colouring ;)  

Edited by ICanHasCrab