Shrekmann

Need layout for new map.

Well, it is a pretty big favour to ask a bunch of strangers. I'm not surprised he got turned down and I don't think there's anything wrong with the manner in which we did it -- on the contrary, we offered alternative and constructive solutions/explanations.

I'm sorry if I confused you, I just meant that if you don't think he's going to get a layout for training, just tell him, "I'm sorry but normally we would not supply a layout unless the map came out very good." And not "No, you are an amateur and we will not give you a a layout because we know for sure you are not going to make a good map"

Well, it is a pretty big favour to ask a bunch of strangers. I'm not surprised he got turned down and I don't think there's anything wrong with the manner in which we did it -- on the contrary, we offered alternative and constructive solutions/explanations.

I'm sorry if I confused you, I just meant that if you don't think he's going to get a layout for training, just tell him, "I'm sorry but normally we would not supply a layout unless the map came out very good." And not "No, you are an amateur and we will not give you a a layout because we know for sure you are not going to make a good map"

I think you must have missed the bit where we asked whether he could show us previous work. He then said himself that he simply wanted something to practice on, and we advised him of a better solution.

Honestly, Mapcore is the most friendly and nurturing mapping forum I've ever read so you've got to look pretty hard to find somebody being outright rude or impolite, and you seem to have a us under a microscope!

As text_fish wrote earlier, I suggest making a smaller map like an ar(arms race) or aim map. Polish it up and make it super good looking.
Then as you get better and more used to working in Hammer, you'll no doubt pick up more experience and soon enough you'll have the knowledge to go ahead and create your very own, made from scratch, defuse map.

You will not get a good layout without paying up, I'm sorry, but that is how the world is, why would someone give away their layout just to be added as a contributor. Doing a good layout can also be seen as the most difficult part of making a really good and classic map (making a map that beats Dust2 is in my eyes harder than making a really beautiful map), and the most fun part, you should do your own layout, gl :)

Sorry bud, but I honestly don't like feel someone is going to pass a layout just for the sake of it. Old layouts are usually bad and unbalanced, good layouts are usually kept so people can make a new map later. I think instead of just "getting" the layout you should start thinking of making your own one. This gives a lot of experience and in the end run you can always change things. This would also give you an idea of what theme you wan't to look for. You can also do a remake! Some layouts like de_contra were played in leagues but the CS:GO versions are ugly and bad. You could do a remake with graphical design in mind. There's also quite a few CSS maps that have good layouts but don't have proper CS:GO remakes - De_Nightfever, De_Russka, ETC. Lastly, you will always be able to playtest your layout here on Mapcore. So don't hesitate starting to work on one, and let us know how it goes! We'll try to help you out as much as possible. That's pretty much all that can be done here.

Probably the best advice for a budding new map developer. Probably even use it myself.

Someone ported over de_contra to csgo, it was a really bad port and the original author was not happy: http://csgo.gamebanana.com/maps/166365

Edited by unremarkable player

If he's really good at making beautiful unique map designs I'll gladly give one of my layouts.

I would like to see some previous work too :)

Hi Shreymann, do you have a portfolio of your previous work you can show us?

I'm sorry to say this is one of my first maps. I haven't published any maps with the new knowledge I have found. I watched a lot of videos and talked to some people such as 3kliks and they helped me learn how to make better maps with better brushwork and such. It would be very helpful if I could get a solid layout, because I feel my maps even with good aesthetics will suffer in gameplay without a well working layout. I thought a more experienced member of the community would be willing to pass down an old layout or any good layout that you would like to see tried in a map, and it would be such a help. Thanks

You mention new knowledge, what's your old knowledge? From old engines?

I'm willing to work with you if you can show me something, doesn't matter what engine it is from as long as it's from a fps perspective.

Edited by 8bit

As said earlier, start off with small 5v5 aim map and learn how to place objects and how the game flows. Most mappers don't start at Inferno quality maps.

Im not even at inferno level maps

Or you can be like me and take on a project of making a defuse map with no knowledge of 3D level design and spend months revising stuff and learning.

This is what I did. Made a level got it close to completion but fucked stuff up on the way. Rebuilt from scatch with a new VMF and it's a lot better.

Why is everyone being so protective about their layouts. A new mapper is going to take your awesome layout and make some horrid fullbright map or (more likely) will give up before the map ever sees the light of day. I mean, how many people here actually successfully released their first ever map? This dude is floundering in the dark and while the advice you guys are giving is good, there's no reason to worry about if they'll steal your idea. They hasn't even come back to this thread since their second post.

I don't make maps for CS:GO so I don't have a layout to give, otherwise I would. For the OP, you should remake a map if you need something to base your design on. You'll most likely fail three or four times before you have learned enough to make a successful map so don't be afraid to hodge podge stuff together until you get a clue.

If other people on here follow the same workflow they won't have any 'spare' layouts to give

1. design layout

2. tweak layout to match theme if required

3. Build map fully and release

If I was to drop a map at the layout stage it's probably because it doesn't work. Successful layouts are normally used- which is why everyone is telling him (or her) to remake an existing map