Unity 5

El_Exodus

Is there actually a reason to go with Unity now that unreal is free? Other than been accustomed with the tools/having the company already on the Unity pipeline or personal development.

I mean for as straightforward the deployment to exotic platforms like smart TV or Blackberry, there may be some optimization needed, and I don't think the return is worth the headaches?

For me Unity is for smaller teams and projects that isn't real-time multiplayer and Unreal the contradiction.

Also, if Unity keeps the same pattern of development the Unity 5.0 will not be a feature update, it will be a shistorm of new bugs, covered with cream and a cherry on top called PBR. I'm still very cautious about Unity 5.0 and won't say a bit about it until I've worked with it a bit.

Lastly, I'd say 5% of revenue is completely worth the source code you get from Unreal, giving the team's programmers full control.

I'm quite lucky in the sense that I won a Unity 5 pro license last year, and have been testing the beta for some time and yeah it's a nice engine to work with, but for me it comes down to preference, I prefer UE4 for it's editor layout, it's blueprint system, C++ programming and a few other little quirks that make it unique.

I received an email today though saying I could go ahead and download the full Unity 5 pro version, but the thing 404s each time that I do it, which means there is interest, and so there should be!

Unity 5 is a nice tool-set and many small time or hobby devs will feel at home with it, especially if they've been using the free version for all these years, I think it's great they can now offer a free version that offers full engine capabilities, it's like I pointed out in the steam hardware thread, you now have two companies that offer the latest tech for free, this can only further advance and benefit the digital community.

Edited by FRAG

<3<3<3 unity

they're both really powerful engines, each with their own pro's and cons, it's very hard to call one better than the other at this point. It all depends on the kind of project you're doing.

The one thing I was liking for older versions and that was making me interested in trying it, was that there was still a lot of brushwork in the construction of environments. I wonder if now it does rely on that at all (other than greyboxing)

From what I used in Unity 4&5 there was no brushwork, its done via 3D model assets, so you can create basic shapes but they are models, although it kind of works the same, I just never got the flexibility I had when working with brushes, most importantly was resizing on a grid, everything is done via position, rotation & scale values, which works for a set model, but not for greyboxing effectively.

From what I used in Unity 4&5 there was no brushwork, its done via 3D model assets, so you can create basic shapes but they are models, although it kind of works the same, I just never got the flexibility I had when working with brushes, most importantly was resizing on a grid, everything is done via position, rotation & scale values, which works for a set model, but not for greyboxing effectively.

Well if you got some extra bucks  there's always probuilder which is pretty sweet!

http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/probuilder/