blackdog

Valve: Future Hardware Plans

Is it just me, or we haven't heard much about L4D3 lately?

Isn't Chet one of the lead guys on L4D in the past? 

Maybe we'll get an Orange Box 2? HL3, L4D3 and DOTA 2 and CS:GO ported to Source 2 anyone? :D

Maybe we'll get an Orange Box 2? HL3, L4D3 and DOTA 2 and CS:GO ported to Source 2 anyone? :D

Isn't D2 already running on source2? The SDK is.

Wonder how easy it would be to port CS:GO, and what it would mean for mapmakers.

Wonder how easy it would be to port CS:GO, and what it would mean for mapmakers.

It is. But if I were at Valve I'd put in some exclusive DOTA 2 items or just include it on the disk or in the package to try and get more people playing it. It obviously makes Valve a lot of money so they would like to try and broaden it's audience I'd have thought.

Same for CS:GO. I doubt they'll make a new CS for a good while since CS:GO is just getting big and people are invested into GO with their skins and the competitive scene. Porting it to Source 2 would be the next logical step I guess?

I've not used the DOTA 2 SDK yet (just downloaded it to give it a go at lunch) but I believe it still has the ability to create BSP geometry (which DOTA 2 only uses for triggers afaik).

It is. But if I were at Valve I'd put in some exclusive DOTA 2 items or just include it on the disk or in the package to try and get more people playing it. It obviously makes Valve a lot of money so they would like to try and broaden it's audience I'd have thought.

Same for CS:GO. I doubt they'll make a new CS for a good while since CS:GO is just getting big and people are invested into GO with their skins and the competitive scene. Porting it to Source 2 would be the next logical step I guess?

I've not used the DOTA 2 SDK yet (just downloaded it to give it a go at lunch) but I believe it still has the ability to create BSP geometry (which DOTA 2 only uses for triggers afaik).

Source 2 doesn't actually use BSP at all, but a new mesh/"brush" system that allows concave geometry and such, with controls that are a nice mix between Hammer 1 and Modo.  

Never heard about glNext! It's it a fork of the openGL?

Yes, if i'm not wrong It's the successor to the OpenGL. Valve is into it because they can't stand being dependant of DirectX and Microsoft tools, i guess it's also due to their SteamMachines (which runs on their SteamOS that is basicaly a Linux OS with SteamBigPicture runing on it).

The thing is that the conference name is "The Future of High Performance Graphics", so there might be some really interesting demos there :)

pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2pleasesaysource2

Source 3!

uups :x

Valve will be following the same naming conventions of Nintendo and Microsoft by calling their next engine the "NEW Source One Engine XL U Day Zero Edition".

Seems like HTC is developing hardware powered by SteamVR

http://www.htcvr.com/

Promo video:

The specs on that device are pretty excellent.

1200x1080 resolution per eye running 90 fps.

Gyro, accelerometer and laser tracking along with somekind of beacons you place in the room.

This allows you to walk around your room with "accurate" positioning.

Don't know about the pricing but this might be the device that gets me to jump on the VR bandwagon.

I guess we'll learn more next week.